taking dogs on eurotunnel

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Lozsing, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Lozsing

Lozsing Funster

Ratings:
    +75
    do we have to arrive before check in time to get the dog cleared to travel , or is it done before hand and if so how long should we allow to get it done thanks Lawrence

2. Dilbert

Dilbert Funster

Ratings:
    +565
    Hiya , go straight through on the the way out . On the way back go in to pet control show pet passport and get pooch scanned for the right chip number ( pay extra on way back 30 euro I think) remember the vet visit before coming back

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,755
    No check at all on the way out normally although they may ask you to confirm if you are travelling with pets, on the way back you need to go to the pet control building first for the formal 'scanning' of your pet and for the details from your pet passport to be entered into the system (ie details of your mandatory foreign vet visit for worming treatment). You need to allow at least 30 minutes extra for this so they recommend no later than an hour before your crossing time, if you are travelling back to the UK in the morning it can be quite busy from around 8.00 am to 10.00 am so maybe allow a little bit more time just in case. The cost per pet (cat/dog/ferret) is £18 per crossing I believe (ie £36 return) but you should already have paid that when you booked your crossing(s) originally.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  4. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Ratings:
    +5,727
    Hi.
    We used to love it,sitting in the vehicle/mo.ho,sandwiches and a flask........ "Whatever furry thing you have?" with you (Have seen a Ferret.(y)") drinking water from a bowl at your side.....Magic.
    If you arrive early,there is a dedicated dog walk at the Dover end,so your "Fanger!" Kill Wolf..KILL!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Can stretch the legs,enjoy it. Cassette/dump point there as well for if you need it
    Tea Bag

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,755
    We used to take our pet rats with us ... fortunately they didn't need a passport of have to be paid for!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

Ratings:
    +2,196
    There's a funster video here that explains the procedure at the Eurostar terminal at Calais.

Paul

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  7. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Ratings:
    +2,736
    Taking our mutt through the tunnel for the first time in a couple of weeks, so many thanks for the information

8. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +16,923
    And us in May although she doesn't know she has a 5000m trip in store.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,195
    I would advise during busy times or bank holidays to be earlier than requested as if any problems there is still time to sort it out and not miss your train
    We have been at the pets check in and out in 3 mins but also in and out in 35 mins or more .down to the time of the year IMHO

Kath x

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. Dogeared

Dogeared Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +486
    If your tour includes Spain, ensure your dog is harnessed and not on your lap. Police are hot on it. The other day parking up, on came along, really helpful, but as he made a fuss of our dog, checked she was harnessed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Southdowners

Southdowners Funster

Ratings:
    +8,297
    You don’t pay anything on return. When you book your tickets you pay for your pet then. I think it’s £18 each way.

When returning you need to visit a vet and get your dog tapewormed. This has to be done not sooner than five days before and not later than 24 hours prior to your crossing. If you don’t do this you’ll not be able to travel.

12. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +5,012
    I see it’s £19 per pet now they keep tacking a bit on every year although they are keeping Frequent traveller at £18

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Ratings:
    +4,302
    So that makes it £38 for a one way trip since they have absolutely no interest or input when you are outbound from Folkestone, a total rip off which is unavoidable if taking dog on the tunnel, they know it and charge it simply because they have customers at a disadvantage. Very poor business practice. Given the number of dogs travelling I wonder what their income from this might be, I imagine its very substantial.:(

• Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  14. Southdowners

Southdowners Funster

Ratings:
    +8,297
    I don’t know why you think it should be free. It’s a service which is quick and doesn’t involve having to leave your dog in a cage. Eurotunnel Folkestone also provide a really nice exercise area for dogs... something they don’t have to do.

Personally I’m happy to pay £18 each way.

• Like it Like it x 2
  15. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +30,209
    Odd that when ferrets have to have rabies jabs & probably a passport here ?

I don't know about the tunnel but the ferries charge the same for out & return. Although nothing is done by all accounts even on cross channel they have a maximum amount of pets that can be carried per crossing. So there would be a bit of paperwork/cost involved for them on the outward leg

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +35,599
    as I understand the Pets Passport checking service is operated by DEFRA and it is they who set the price.. and get the money.. not the ferry or tunnel operators..
    AFAKI the price is the same for all cross channel services.

Yes it's painful, we have two dogs and when you factor in the Vets fees in France, this take a big chunk of cash out of our holiday budget ,

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Like it Like it x 1
  17. Popeye

Popeye Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +33,316
    Did you get Tom and John done at the same time Kath?........ jus azkin like!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +8,920
    I am not sure that I see it that way. As with anything you do not have to use the tunnel if you think they are taking advantage of you. The ferries are always there.

19. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Ratings:
    +4,302
    I don't believe I said I think it sold be it should be free. As had been said by "Scotjimland"DEFRA set the price so I suppose we just have to accept that.

20. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Ratings:
    +4,302
    As "Scotjimland" has said, its DEFRA who set the price and if the price is the same for tunnel and ferries as he says, we don't have any choice on the matter if we wish to take our dogs, So I am wrong in thinking Eurotunnel are taking advantage, my criticism should be redirected towards DEFRA. Either way I think the fee is rather high.

• Informative Informative x 2