Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 83
Exp
3 months
As others have said, it's a very easy process to take your dog to the EU. If returning via Eurotunnel you need to go through pet control where your dog's microchip will be scanned and papers checked to ensure the worming has been carried out correctly. Pet control is to the right just before the final barriers.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We took our dog on holiday for the first time this year, it was so simple!
Our vet charged £65 to do the passport. So passport in hand we arrived at Harwich, the girl at passport control told us she doesn't need to see the dogs information to exit England, but we got a special coloured tag for the window, showing that we were carrying an animal.
During the planning of the holiday, I had already booked a vets appointment in Germany within the 5 day window of our return journey. The vet we visited spoke perfect English, gave a full health check, and the tapeworm treatment. The passport was signed and off we went.
Arrived at the hook of Holland, the check in girl said she needed to scan the micro chip, and came to the hab door. When she saw Rosie, she changed her mind and gave me the reader and said, "could you scan her chip?" Rosie is a VERY big dog :D
That all done, the passport was checked, again we got our special tag, and off we went - it was so simple :D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You are quite correct about the interval for Rabies. It is 3 years . I have checked my paperwork for both dogs and they are due a Rabies injection May 2017. I Have assumed that when they were called in for their Booster etc, that it included the Rabies shot? My fault for not being clear.
It is looking quite positive though with all the information we are getting back from you guys though. Thank you very much for your help and advice
Carolyn
Sorry to bang on about this but unless you specifically asked your vet for a rabies vaccination it will not have been administered, although if it was and you were charged for it your vet is a crook. :) You only need the rabies vaccination if going abroad and a record of it will be entered in the pet passport which will be a little booklet about the same size as a human passport. Have you got one of these?
Going away January to March you are probably safe from ticks and sandflies but ask your vet's advice, although a Scalibor collar might be a wise purchase - you can buy them on line for around £15.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You only need the rabies vaccination if going abroad and a record of it will be entered in the pet passport which will be a little booklet about the same size as a human passport. Have you got one of these?
You may wish to look at the title of this thread :rolleyes:

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Candapack - sorry but you can't update the Map.

I'm the only one who can add details and would appreciate it if you could post any helpful info on this thread.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Fair enough. Well as above, it's the vet in Rue, already on the map but prices seem to have gone up. We paid 34 Euros, for one border terrier, including the worming tablet.
Thanks again for an excellent resource.

Keith

:france: :france: :france: :france:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You may wish to look at the title of this thread :rolleyes:
:) I did, but I'm still not sure if the OP's dogs are vaccinated yet which was why I asked if they had pet passports for them. :)

Reactions: kcy
Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
In addition to all the above replies the vet you use for your return as well as signing and dating your pet passport must also put the time as well as date that the worm pill was administered.
Don

Edit
Just noticed Minxy Girl also pointed this out

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have taken our dogs with us each time we travel to the Continent, at least twice a year for the last sixteen years. We have never had a problem.

I would reiterate the advice to have your dog visit the foreign vet, between 1 and 5 days before returning, away from the ferry ports. Our local vet in Burgundy charges us 11 euros for treatment and for signing the Pet Passports. When, on a short trip to France, we used the vet at Honfleur we were charged about fifty euros for exactly the same service.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
:) I did, but I'm still not sure if the OP's dogs are vaccinated yet which was why I asked if they had pet passports for them. :)
Haven't got the passports yet , hence the reason for asking for ideas and what is required. Our plan is to travel in February next year and possibly out for 3 months.
All advice is really appreciated . Cannot thank you enough.
Lots of things to learn in this 'game' I am sure
Carolyn

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Haven't got the passports yet , hence the reason for asking for ideas and what is required. Our plan is to travel in February next year and possibly out for 3 months.
Carolyn
Sorry but if you haven't got the passport you haven't had the right rabies done ! I would be very surprised ! Please visit your vet and ask .

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Got this from the Gov.co.uk
"You can get one from certain vets in EU countries, certain EU territories and some non-EU countries. If your vet doesn’t issue pet passports, ask them for the nearest that does, or contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency.`"

Just spoke to our vet and they have stated quite clearly that the passport is applied for only if the pet/pets is/are to go abroad.The vaccine available is also dependant on the country to which you are travelling apparently?
If the pet (in our case) is being vaccinated at the level ours is ( Crufts jobby sorry) then it does not apply. I believe they use the term "belt and Braces" when it is at the level of protection we use.

Carolyn

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Just spoke to our vet and they have stated quite clearly that the passport is applied for only if the pet/pets is/are to go abroad.The vaccine available is also dependant on the country to which you are travelling apparently?
If the pet (in our case) is being vaccinated at the level ours is ( Crufts jobby sorry) then it does not apply. I believe they use the term "belt and Braces" when it is at the level of protection we use.

Carolyn

Why would you have your dog inoculated for no apparent reason, as rabies in the UK is considered to be eradicated. Unless you are planning to take your dog abroad or have another good reason for needing the vaccine, it should not simply be given to UK dogs as standard. Reason being is that there are potential side effects of the canine rabies vaccination.

Pete

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
We did it for the first time this year, over to France, really no problems at all. Our own vet sorted out the passport and jags, £78. used a vet on the main road between Lion sur Mer and Ouistreham 35 euro all paperwork correct, spoke perfect English. in fact asked me to speak English as my French was a bit halting. cheeky B. will look at detail on passport and pass on same to update map.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Carolyn
Many thanks, I think you can assume your dogs are not yet vaccinated for rabies but if they are I suspect they will need doing again as the vet puts the sticker off the vaccine bottle in the passport in my experience. If you are not going to February and coming back late April or May then you need to consider tick protection. Again, ask your vet what they suggest but we have used Advantix in the past and it seems to work well - our dog didn't get a single tick over the period May to July last year in France and Italy. It also provides some protection against sand flies. Don't confuse Advantix with Advantage, the latter doesn't need a prescription and is less effective I believe. A Scalibor collar as well will also help but again take the vet's advice. Happy travels!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Here is my boy's passport entries. There is the rabies vaccine recorded and the evidence of worming, along with the important time and date entry, along with stamp and annotation by vet.

vet1.JPG
vet2.JPG

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@Kev and Carolyn not much more I can add as sound advice already given except...we travel with our two dachshunds most of the year. Travelling around Europe is very easy but we always get our dogs tablets from their vet in the UK then we know we are getting the right dosage etc. We worm our two dogs monthly and tick and flea quarterly whilst travelling.
If you are heading to Portugal just be careful of the precession catapillars then rife at certain times of the year and are lethal for dogs.
Enjoy your trip.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We always use the tunnel so the dogs stay with us. They would probably be OK if left in the MH on the ferry but we would worry about them.
Vets near to the channel ports seem to be more expensive, and as you have to allow 24 hours minimum to elapse before coming back it makes sense to have it done a few hundred miles from the ports.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Why would you have your dog inoculated for no apparent reason, as rabies in the UK is considered to be eradicated. Unless you are planning to take your dog abroad or have another good reason for needing the vaccine, it should not simply be given to UK dogs as standard. Reason being is that there are potential side effects of the canine rabies vaccination.

Pete

To a certain extent, but if your dog is vaccinated then it will not suffer if there is a rabies outbreak in your area. Rabies in Europe is receding due to the vaccination programme which has been a great success.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Carolyn
The charge for the passport varies from vet to vet. As I said earlier, our vet charged us £65. You dog needs a rabies jab to get the passport, and this must be minimum 21 days before travel, so don't leave it until the last minute :D
Vet fees abroad seem to vary wildly. We paid €28 (from memory) to have our Rosie done, which for a 40kg dog isn't bad in my mind.
As advised earlier, get the vets done away from the ports, then you are more likely to get a reasonable charge! :D

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Started motorhoming three years ago & the best bit...taking my dog everywhere. Others have discussed the rabies vacs so I will just add the tips I have learnt.
Go to the pound shop or seconds shop and buy a bundle of toddlers socks & some micropore tape, some French beaches are rough sand as are some of the lake areas.....the dogs start licking their paws and the problems escalate. Clean the paws , dry them put on some hydrocortisone cream and then the toddlers sock. ( my vets tip to me).
As with humans, changes in diets and water can cause

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
apologies....just to finish
can cause runny bums....take some Imodium or buy some Canikur on line ....you may not be able to find a vet at weekends as easily as here.
Be aware of ticks, even though we had treated Petroc with Advantix and he was wearing a scarribor collar he picked up horrid ticks in Chenonceaux. The French buy huge bottles of frontline spray and use that as well. I used a herbal spray last year & it worked well.Buy a tic a tom and keep it handy. The people in the MH next to us had been on the Ilde Re and their dog had 12 ticks on its ear....you need to be aware of them.

Lastly be very pedantic about the official paperwork and double check everyone's paperwork. On your receipt from the French vet get thm to detail everything they have done.
I also photocopy everything as with our passports and keep a spare set.It is so easy to take your dog abroad and you will enjoy being able to go out to eat with them
I nearly forgot.....don't forget to put the international dialling code on their id discs...
I also have signs saying beware of the dog in six translations...also good for security

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
and all the dogs from where ever you are or meet seem to be able to talk to one another .and make friends etc . or have a barnie .
we always found our dogs protected the wild not so fed dogs and would share their food with them . yet bark at the well fed german dog from next door if it went to the food bowl.
its quite good to watch them .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back