Taking dog to denmark, Sweden and on to Norway (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Hi
This is the route we had planned to take this summer. Do we need to find a vet in Swedn to administer the tapeworm tablet and sign pet passport before we head to Norway? Or would we be better changing the order so then visiting vet in the UK and going straight through Denmark to take the ferry to Norway? Has anyone recent experience of this?

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We are in Norway now with the dog..had our vet in France do the tapeworm tablet then travelled through Germany and Denmark to Norway via ferry..

In Norway we weren't checked when we arrived...

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
There was a recent post on another forum where someone was refused entry into Norway as their dog had not been treated so they do check.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Did you book the ferry before leaving the UK? what route did you do? If we reverse our plans to go to Norway before Sweden we would go from Hirtshals to Kristiansand and wondering if we should book this. Does the dog just stay in the van on the ferry?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We travelled from Germany into Sweden then eventually to Norway. I appreciate that I needed a vet but we just crossed as there was no boarder checks from Sweden. I carry a number of the worm tablets and the dog is regularly wormed by myself as there is a human risk for infection from Europe. So no checks on that route

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Hi
This is the route we had planned to take this summer. Do we need to find a vet in Swedn to administer the tapeworm tablet and sign pet passport before we head to Norway? Or would we be better changing the order so then visiting vet in the UK and going straight through Denmark to take the ferry to Norway? Has anyone recent experience of this?
Norway only state that the worm tablet is not required if travel direct from U.K. As this is near impossible nowadays as soon as you land in France or Holland you will now need to have worm treatment for travel to Norway but as i have said they do not police the Swedish boarder

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Hi. We're in Norway at the moment. We don't have a dog, but we're talking to a Norwegian couple with two dogs planning to visit the UK. They said one of the hassles was having to have the dogs checked on both the Norwegian and then the UK border each way.

OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
It might just be easier to do this in the UK and then get to Norway within the time frame of 5 days. We can then head to Sweden after Norway. Not quite what we wanted but hey ...

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Last year border checks were in place into Sweden and Denmark, we took a back route into Norway so not sure about there going on the main roads.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Norway only state that the worm tablet is not required if travel direct from U.K. As this is near impossible nowadays as soon as you land in France or Holland you will now need to have worm treatment for travel to Norway but as i have said they do not police the Swedish boarder
Sorry but that is incorrect, at least in mid 2016, we were stopped at the Swedish border from Denmark for a passport and driving licence examination. They also checked if we had any pets.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry but that is incorrect, at least in mid 2016, we were stopped at the Swedish border from Denmark for a passport and driving licence examination. They also checked if we had any pets.

Yep we were stopped crossing from Denmark to Sweden too (May 2017). Passport check and asked if we had any pets. No check on the Sweden to Norway border though.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Yep we were stopped crossing from Denmark to Sweden too (May 2017). Passport check and asked if we had any pets. No check on the Sweden to Norway border though.
I would say that's pretty up to date info then (y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
We were not stopped from Sweden into Finland but there was a police patrol at the Finnish border with a mobile weighing machine :Eeek: I was also stopped in the middle of the nowhere in Finland (police patrol point) for my first ever breathalyser. (Passed (y))

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Does anyone know of a vet in Sweden from Gothenburg up to the border who would do the pet passport? And have a rough idea of cost - I assume it's expensive.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Thanks for the heads up. Obviously I must have picked a remote spot. It just goes to show that it's pot luck. When we were in Norway the locals are back and forth over to Sweden for there food shopping and they have their dogs with them. Perhaps it's pick on the other EU nationals ??

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Thanks for the heads up. Obviously I must have picked a remote spot. It just goes to show that it's pot luck. When we were in Norway the locals are back and forth over to Sweden for there food shopping and they have their dogs with them. Perhaps it's pick on the other EU nationals ??
I think it is pot luck some times and profiling of course. If I lived in Norway I would be doing the same....£7 for a red pepper up norf :Eeek: No Lidl that we found :(
One word to anybody going to Norway....Lofotens....do not miss them out (y)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Speve may be able to help shed some light.
Sorry but we decided against Norway as we we led to believe the crossing for dogs was a pain as they needed to be wormed in and then again out so didn't go we did cross into Finland without any checks there was no one on the check points. We are now travelling back South along Baltic coast currently at Pitea at top end can recommend a visit Sweden is beautiful and the folk are friendly (y)(y)(y)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry but we decided against Norway as we we led to believe the crossing for dogs was a pain as they needed to be wormed in and then again out so didn't go we did cross into Finland without any checks there was no one on the check points. We are now travelling back South along Baltic coast currently at Pitea at top end can recommend a visit Sweden is beautiful and the folk are friendly (y)(y)(y)
When I retire we will do Finland and Sweden 17 years and one day and counting. (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
When I retire we will do Finland and Sweden 17 years and one day and counting. (y)
You'll love it but don't wait that long life's to short to stand still ill be in my box in seventeen years argh!

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
You'll love it but don't wait that long life's to short to stand still ill be in my box in seventeen years argh!
No you won't! Dont be silly you'll still be trekking round Europe in 17 years. We will meet in the artic circle in 17 years and two weeks. (y) It's a date Mr Weston. :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No you won't! Dont be silly you'll still be trekking round Europe in 17 years. We will meet in the artic circle in 17 years and two weeks. (y) It's a date Mr Weston. :)
Well if I can still drive that far it's a date I'll only be 82 yrs young will I qualify for my locks to be changed;);)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back