taking a motorhome to lindisfarne priory and camping nearby (1 Viewer)

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
going to northumberland soon
want to visit lindisfarne priory
any campsites nearby to either walk or cycle from or can you take your motorhome over and park thier
motorhome is 7.35 metres

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
going to northumberland soon
want to visit lindisfarne priory
any campsites nearby to either walk or cycle from or can you take your motorhome over and park thier
motorhome is 7.35 metres

I must be wrong but I always thought lindisfarne was a small island??

Doug...

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if memory serves the roads in the village are a tad narrow but there is a carpark.....dont suppose for one minute they allow overnight camping.

just before the causeway is a pull-in area where, unless its been barriered, you could stay overnight.

apart from the proiry and walking theres not a lot there.
couple of pubs and cafe's and the obligitory gift shops.

you do need to read the posted tide times at each end of the causeway as the tide comes in fast and you could be stranded on the island.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
It's a tidal Island Doug. you can cross the causeway twice a day but not adviseable to try and race the tide. Lots of rescues each year of people who try.

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It's a tidal Island Doug. you can cross the causeway twice a day but not adviseable to try and race the tide. Lots of rescues each year of people who try.

Ah!! I see, thanks for the info, never been there, obviously, just read about it in historical books.

Doug...

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Long, long ago, when at Durham University, sat waiting for the tide just off Lindisfarne causway in my Minivan (my only new purchase vehicle in my life-£359)

Then the thunderstorm arrived-we were the only bit of metal in the area! OK I know about Faraday Cages, but still scary.

Forget the problems of getting there, it is still a magical place - especially if you have studied the history of the place and know its significance in the history of the NE and of England as a whole.

Enjoy it

Geoff

Upvote 0

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
Lindisfarne

Hi,

We went two years ago and stayed at a farm CL site just before the causeway. It was approx 5 miles to the island itself. As previous posters have said you do have to watch the tides. There is no overnight camping on the island. It is signposted in car park. The address is Mr Rogerson Brock Mill Farm Beal, Berwick upon Tweed. Tel. 01289 381283. or www.lindisfarne.org.uk/brock-mill-farmhouse. Its the closest we could find, hope it helps.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Yes you can to over to lindisfarne with your motorhome and park on the main car park but i don`t think you can overnight there.Sorry i cant recommend any campsites. I have seen the odd motorhome tucked up in the dunes just off the causeway weather they overnight there ? i don't know.
you could always arrange to miss getting of the Island with the tides forcing you to stay :)Wink::winky:)
I do quite a bit of wild camping but have never stayed on the island usually i stay on the car park at Seahouses when I'm up that way .

Upvote 0

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
car park

we have stayed overnight in car park before crossing with no problems but know chance of staying in car park on island have seen motorhomes in the dunes but not sure if they stayed overnight:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
thanks
haggerstone castle campsite is looking good
16 minutes to holy island
12 minutes to berwick
33 minutes to alnwick
is there any motorhome parking in alnwick?

Upvote 0

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Another one to try Link Removed

You could try Alnwick rugby clubLink Removed .... Tel. 01665602342.... Just off the A1, they can accomodate motorhomes

Alnwick Parking :- from what I can remamber, there are somel dedicated Motorhome parking spaces in the car park outside Alnwick Castle. :Smile:

Link Removed

Upvote 0

HWO

Free Member
Jan 25, 2010
Funster No
thanks
12 minutes to berwick
33 minutes to alnwick

Alnwick is good for parking. Special bays set aside for motorhomes at the castle gardens carpark and also in the town

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
haggestone castle haven site cheap at about £27.. for three nights but not very good reviews
West Kyloe Farm looks good has anybody been?

Link Removed

Upvote 0

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Haggi Castle can be a very rowdy site at times, not one I have frequented for a very long time.

The West Kyloe site is very quiet & probably better situated for what you want.
Good access to the Holy Island, Budle Bay, Bem,burgh & chips at Seahouses, as well as straight down the A1 to Alnwick.

Trips to the Farne Islands to see the Seals & puffins depending on season are a good day out. :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
There is a very nice CCC site at Beadnall (Anstead Camp Site).

It's one of my absolute favourites - very basic, but it's right on the beach, and the views out to the Farne Island just gorgeous. Seahouses, about 15 mins walk has some of the best fish and chips on the face of the planet!!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We stayed on Lindesfarne in our motorhome in August 2004. It was wonderful! We bought a ticket for the car park and tucked ourselves up in the corner ... accidentially on purpose 'missing' the crossing back. :Blush:

We went down to the shore, looking back towards the mainland, where some of the locals had gathered, and had a nice natter to them whilst we watched the sunset, the dogs paddled, as did our pet rat Sprite - it was a beautiful evening.:Smile:

Unfortunately our Sprite passed away in the early hours of the morning, he'd had his normal 'tea' treat of a bit of our BBQ food as usual. As he was an old rat at 3 years it was to be expected some time, very upsetting still, but I couldn't think of a better place if I was gonna pop my clogs!!! He is buried in the sand dunes, well out of the way 'overlooking' the inner bay where we enjoyed the lovely evening ... say hello to him if you visit.

Oh, if anyone is wondering how Sprite got his name ... see the last photo!

Attachments

• 093Lsunset.jpg
    093Lsunset.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 46
  • lindesfarnecropped.jpg
    lindesfarnecropped.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 51
  • sprite.jpg
    sprite.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Spriteoutglasscropped.jpg
    Spriteoutglasscropped.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Beware of walking dogs on Lindisfarne -they have a weed called Piri-Piri whose seeds are a right pain to remove from your dog. There are warning signs about the seeds but they only warn of the danger of spreading the weed off the island - they do not warn of the distress caused to dogs by being covered in this pest.(and the hours to remove them).

Haggerston castle cost us £28 for one night , arriving after 6 and having to be off site by 10 next morning. We had a car parked within 3 feet of us with an awning and a caravan 3 feet on the other side of the car - this was repeated down a row of about 20 units! A fire would have been disastrouse for many. When emptying the cassette in the morning I spoke to a lady who had phoned 'security' at 1, 3 and 5 oclock during the night to complain about a bunch of scroats shouting and fighting in the van next to her all night.
We will never go back.

Upvote 0

Artist in the van

Free Member
Oct 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Lindisfarne is lovely

SpongeBobsDad is correct: you can cross to the island twice a day in your motor-home but not camp overnight on the island (though I didn't see any policement when I was there recently!).

You have six hours to explore the island and since it's so small you can do this easily, but best stop on the landward side, in Beal or overlooking the causeway whilst the tide is in.

They rescue at least one unlucky car and its passengers a week; unnerving and costly for all.

Travel safely and enjoy! I took my paints and did some very good paintings.

:Smile:

Upvote 0

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
thanks
12 minutes to berwick
33 minutes to alnwick

You asked about parking in Alnwick. There is excellent parking on the main road from the A1 to Alnwick for the Castle Gardens. Plenty of spaces for motorhomes of all sizes. If you carry on beyond there you will eventually come to the Bondgate Arch, quite narrow and low but immediately before the arch is a right turn and parking for a couple of motorhomes in the car park on the right. Fabulous town and great people. Love it there.

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I'm staying at Haggerston on a MCC Rally this week, as others have commented pitches are to close but its cheap and ideal for exploring the area and only 5 minutes from Lindisfarne. Haven holiday parks have some cracking cheap off season deals at the moment so makes it worthwhile.

Link here :- .

£30.80 for 4 nights hard stand with 16amp EHU is good value even though this sort of park is not my scene, prepared to put up with it and tour this beautiful area during the day.

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just checked the link I posted this takes you to page 1, Haggerston deals start from page 6:thumb:

Upvote 0

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Newbie but 25 Years towing.
Lindisfarne

Was on Lindasfarne this year and that parking spot in the dunes just after the causeway has a big sign saying no overnight parking as does the main car park.
Asked who enforced it in the priory and was told the Parish Council.
Loads of CL around the area.
Recommend the walk from the car park down to the town, on to the castle. Then north along the coast to the sea mark and back via the dunes. But yes our dog also got covered in those seeds and a pain to remove.
Also recommend the trip out and landing on the grace darling lighthouse. Then back via the bird sanctuary.
Peter
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
haggerstone castle campsite is a shit hole of the Haven hols veriety ::bigsmile: but at this time of yr it will be cheap :Smile: Once you get over onto the island you can park up in the main carpark and walk a good half mile into the village.You can also drive into the village and park in the posh hotel carpark and get some food/drink from there but they are not too keen on letting you stop once fed :winky:As some have already said time the tides and get stranded on the island car park over night or park in the dunes
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back