Free Member
May 12, 2017
Ramsbottom
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet,
Exp
just joined the community here after looking in for a few weeks
we have just purchased our first van , its a 2004 renault trafic, a bit basic inside but will do us to see if we 'catch the bug'

i have a question - if its not in right place please move

the commercial van dealer we bought it from assures me he has sent the log book in and requested change to 'motor caravan' from panel van.however when looking at everything carefully over the last couple of days we have a couple of issues
no table - easily remedied , i have some fittings and a suitable top so not a problem
the cooker is a single burner / sink combination dvla website says 'min of 2 burners'
is there any easy/cost effective way round this?
would adding a single electric hob meet the criteria?
why would anyone put a single burner in a camper van conversion if is not allowed?

sorry its so long but probably the first of many

thanks for reading

Gary

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Greetings and welcome Gary,

I don't know the answer regarding burners, or whether DVLA will really look that closely. Perhaps the previous owner was happy with it registered as a panel van, maybe he used it for work or racing and it was cheaper that way - just a thought. Hopefully this will 'bump' your thread and someone more knowledgeable will be along soon (y) :)

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hello and welcome. Should be easy enough to swap your single burner for a dual job. Just set off and enjoy yourself.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gjhimages

Free Member
May 12, 2017
Ramsbottom
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet,
Exp
I guess that may be the only thing that I can do, will wait and see what comes back from dvla first

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
They can be quite rigid regarding the criteria but i guess it depends on who at DVLA is dealing with the application, and how professional the rest of the conversion is. If everything else looks good they may let it go.

As has been said, maybe the previous owner was happy with it registered as a panel van and only needed one burner. If it's refused they will tell you why and so will be easy to rectify.

If you have to reapply make sure you send good quality photos to prove it's a bonafide conversion.

I found it worthwhile regarding insurance, both of the van and contents, plus less chance of being caught speeding on dual carriageways :D

Hope it comes back ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gjhimages

Free Member
May 12, 2017
Ramsbottom
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet,
Exp
So
Bit the bullet and bought a 2 burner hob
Smev 2460 almost fits in hole left by the 8821.
Will be selling the 8821 to try and recoup some of the cost also removed the dual front passenger seat swivel base, can't see us using it, will also be selling this

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So
Bit the bullet and bought a 2 burner hob
Smev 2460 almost fits in hole left by the 8821.
Will be selling the 8821 to try and recoup some of the cost also removed the dual front passenger seat swivel base, can't see us using it, will also be selling this
Hello and welcome good luck with your van and congratulations !
Hope you have lots of great trips !:WelcomeFlag:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back