taken the plung (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Me and the wee man are off to excap this week for a few lessons to learn sum basics.
The last time I was on skis the army strapped to planks of wood on my feat there you go lad follow him.
Almost froze to death and decided that wasn't for me after a week of slogging across the Scottish mountains
so a bit of a refresher on the cards me thinks
bill

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Have fun. You'll be packing the van to go in that soon, it's addictive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Good for you Bill. Jay will love it and it's such a good age for him to start. Kids just seem to get it, he'll be skiing circles round you in a couple of lessons.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You'll soon master the button lift Bill!

Ha ha .... that reminds me of a time back in the early 80's ..... my son was on a button lift with me following on the next button ..... being he was small and light weight the lift recoil got the better of him and he was slowly lifted off the ground to about 6' in the air before finally jumping off into the deep snow at the side.

Enjoy your trip Bill.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we have ben surprised how much good quality kit is out there at very reasonable prices fund out it doesn't need to brake the bank thanks @jonandshell
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
just got him theas bad boys hop Santa has the payload only thing he needs now is some ski poles ::bigsmile:
bill

Attachments

• $_57[2].jpg
    $_57[2].jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 49
  • $_57[1].jpg
    $_57[1].jpg
    86 KB · Views: 45
  • $_57[4].jpg
    $_57[4].jpg
    100 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ok where is the wild camping at the ski resorts in Scotland or at a push camp sites
bill

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
All camping in Scotland is wild! The nearer to Glasgow you get, the wilder it is!!!
I've heard you can stop on one of the resort car parks but couldn't say which one!

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
All camping in Scotland is wild! The nearer to Glasgow you get, the wilder it is!!!
I've heard you can stop on one of the resort car parks but couldn't say which one!
I will be well prepare for wild camping in the dead of winter going to even brake my rule will be taking my generator.

snow shovel
flue extinction for heating
snow Chans
and club to fight off the locals
bill

evira

Free Member
Oct 22, 2015
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
since 2002
ok where is the wild camping at the ski resorts in Scotland or at a push camp sites
bill
all the scottish areas have 'beginners' slopes
Cairngorm has the high plateau accessed from the train and reasonably snow sure, but has nasty t-bar drag lifts.
Glenshee has sunnyside straight out of the car park, poma drag lifts.
Lecht is much the same.
Glencoe, my favourite spot, has a high plateau at the top of the access chair, poma drag lift and nowadays EHU and flat pitches for a price.
Nevis range I wouldn't bother with unless you have loads of experience and go over the back, which can be fantastic.
I cannot imagine you would get chased from any of these areas car parks but turn up when they are shut if conditions/weather are good.
Learning to ski/board in 'scottish conditions' will set you up for pretty much anything else around the world. You also get used to how expensive lift passes are.

Peter

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
all the scottish areas have 'beginners' slopes
Cairngorm has the high plateau accessed from the train and reasonably snow sure, but has nasty t-bar drag lifts.
Glenshee has sunnyside straight out of the car park, poma drag lifts.
Lecht is much the same.
Glencoe, my favourite spot, has a high plateau at the top of the access chair, poma drag lift and nowadays EHU and flat pitches for a price.
Nevis range I wouldn't bother with unless you have loads of experience and go over the back, which can be fantastic.
I cannot imagine you would get chased from any of these areas car parks but turn up when they are shut if conditions/weather are good.
Learning to ski/board in 'scottish conditions' will set you up for pretty much anything else around the world. You also get used to how expensive lift passes are.

Peter
thanks for the info bill

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Bill i tried Sking for the first time last year with my daughter and we both love it, we go to Glencoe mountain resort they have 10 pitches with EHU for rent and the don't mind you staying the night in the car park. We did the mega deal the first time we went this included lift pass, ski and boot hire, two hour lesson and then they rest of the day to practice.
You can also stay the night at Glenshee they have about 5 hook ups and are on first come first served basis, you can also park for free in the car park. Both these resorts have a cafe bar that is open to 10pm and have toilets and showers.
If you go to Aviemore they don't have any facilities for you but don't mind you staying the night in the car park although a nice couple of sites a few miles away.
We will be heading to one of these this winter and maybe sooner that we thought as they e all had a good bit of snow this week

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill i tried Sking for the first time last year with my daughter and we both love it, we go to Glencoe mountain resort they have 10 pitches with EHU for rent and the don't mind you staying the night in the car park. We did the mega deal the first time we went this included lift pass, ski and boot hire, two hour lesson and then they rest of the day to practice.
You can also stay the night at Glenshee they have about 5 hook ups and are on first come first served basis, you can also park for free in the car park. Both these resorts have a cafe bar that is open to 10pm and have toilets and showers.
If you go to Aviemore they don't have any facilities for you but don't mind you staying the night in the car park although a nice couple of sites a few miles away.
We will be heading to one of these this winter and maybe sooner that we thought as they e all had a good bit of snow this week
sounds like wee are not going to have any problems then just wonder if any other funsters will be there
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Ok we have ben speaking me and the dragon no intention in skiing but seems very interested in the getting pampered bit of the ski resorts like the spa's
think this could work out to my advantage.
bill

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
bill
Glenshee has a small site right amid the action....electric hook ups as well.

Blairgowerie site open for Glenshee as well. Ski hire on this site.

Plenty sites on the road in to Cairngorm from Aviemore........plenty wilding in the area.

White Corries wild in the carpark.

Just beware as they may shut the road if they have too much snowfall and it could take a day or two to get the road clear.

Anoch Mor...Fort William......big carpark
Plenty wilding around.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The lecht has a small site right amid the action....electric hook ups as well.

Blairgowerie site open for the lecht as well. Ski hire on this site.

Plenty sites on the road in to Cairngorm from Aviemore........plenty wilding in the area.

White Corries wild in the carpark.

Just beware as they may shut the road if they have too much snowfall and it could take a day or two to get the road clear.

Anoch Mor...Fort William......big carpark
Plenty wilding around.

Enjoy.
thanks bobby we have our own kit and those sound grate we love Blairgowerie
thanks bill

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Ok we have ben speaking me and the dragon no intention in skiing but seems very interested in the getting pampered bit of the ski resorts like the spa's
think this could work out to my advantage.
bill
Aviemore for pampering...but it will be expensive during the ski season. As will be any site you want to use at that time of year.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Aviemore for pampering...but it will be expensive during the ski season. As will be any site you want to use at that time of year.
we will be wilding when ever possible taking extra gas and battery's and our winter set up
bill

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
pm aprox cost pleas

Bill have a look on their website for prices also gives you snow updates, if you want the lessons its the mega deal if you can Ski a bit then you just need the beginners lift pass. I know you can hire equipment from other places cheaper.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill have a look on their website for prices also gives you snow updates, if you want the lessons its the mega deal if you can Ski a bit then you just need the beginners lift pass. I know you can hire equipment from other places cheaper.

Broken Link Removed
we have all the equipment no problems there so it will be lift passes to the green runs(y)

evira

Free Member
Oct 22, 2015
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
since 2002
I spent too much of my youth at dry slopes, they are very different to snow.
I hate them now, indoor snow is a better learning environment but for a first time a dry slop will at least get you used to the kit.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I spent too much of my youth at dry slopes, they are very different to snow.
I hate them now, indoor snow is a better learning environment but for a first time a dry slop will at least get you used to the kit.
and a dam sit cheaper than the indoor slopes there day light robbery
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back