Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Last year when I had my Topaz I had a habitation check done by a mobile caravan /motorhome engineer, he had been "qualified" for the last 12 months, well I was new to MHoming , after some time checking this and that, he said I cannot get your heating to work on gas, no said I it is diesel, duh !! then wait for it, he couldn`t get the fridge to work on 12 volt, I said it has to have the engine running,it only works in transit, by this time I had no confidence in him at all. so very wary now of so called experts, had problems with tradesman when I lived on my own, they try to rip women off , well I have learnt about houses, but Motor homes, I am reluctant to do anything with the electrics, or gas, and definitely not the modern engines. so I need someone who does know what they are doing. I do have a good car mechanic, has done my cars for decades. So I am on a learning curve with the simple things in the MH.

Margaret

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
You should ask Pammy, she's spent the last 15 years +in gas training and certification administration at West Notts Collage, right from Corgi to whatever its called these days

Recently head hunted by one of the UKs big 5 Gas suppliers to keep all their men fully qualified and up to speed on qualifications

She has worked for many years in the leisure industry also dealing with training and Gas safety

A personal friend is also a "Recognised Expert Legal Witness" dealing with cases from gas leaks to explosions and unfortunately fatalities

Some of the stories are scary:Eeek:

So me thinks Pammy might outrank the others:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Certainly outranks me sir

I was slowly but surely de skilled

But was called in to do what a higher trained couldn't do

Disconnect the gas supply weather they wanted it done or not

My corgi rights finished in 1986 ish
when bg Transco was ring fenced from British gas
we no longer needed the qualification to repair service or install appliances

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
When connecting your hook-up lead you have to make sure the connectors on the plug and socket are clean and the plug is pushed right in.

Sounds obvious but if you don't make the connection properly the plug/socket will overheat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Should have someone coming back to me today with the criteria for obtaining NCC approved Worksop Status:thumb:

Extract from an email I got a moment ago

Dear James,

As requested, I am pleased to provide information below about the competency requirements for AWS membership. Everything else you need including complaint handling can be readily found on the AWS website (www.approvedworkshops.co.uk) under the home page and the “Why AWS?” page.

In terms of the minimum AWS skills requirements/qualifications for workshop membership, these encompass;

• City & Guilds qualification in caravan and/or motorhome servicing
• LPG ACoPs or Gas Safe qualification
• CITO (Caravan Industry Training Organisation) Inspection & Test qualification for electrical installations
• CITO LV/ELV Systems, Equipment & Circuits qualification

Upon application, workshops are assessed on-site and all qualifications are evidenced before approval can be granted. Thereafter, workshops are subject to a range of compliance activities and typically can be expected to be assessed on-site every 12 to 18 months.

I trust this answers your queries. I would of course be grateful for sight of your proposed copy before this goes live.

Kind regards

Frank

Frank Finch
AWS Manager

I have asked for further clarification with regard to mobile fitters who carry the Approved Workshop status

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back