Take care. Microsoft scam. (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Am posting this in the chat section rather than the Techi one since it might be seen by more people.
For a long time I had an annoying pop up box constantly appearing on my W10 laptop at the bottom right corner, saying urgent attention required on your Microsoft windows account. It eventually said words to the effect if you do not confirm and reset your MS account your Hotmail account will not work and you will loose all your emails. My defences being down (possibly related to alcohol intake late one night), I clicked on it. It looked entirely believable, so I signed in, confirmed that my account was valid, then changed to a supposed new sign in. A day or so later, sure enough emails stopped arriving. It sent an email to everyone in my contacts list asking for help. Most people realised it was a scam owing to the bad English, but some offered help (which of course I did not receive). I also received a call on my mobile which I now believe to be a ransome demand, so I did not pick it up. I then realized my old sign-in was still working when I next reconnected. Strange.

So I went to the real account on the genuine MS website, correctly changed to a new password, and set to investigating my account. I eventually found my emails in another folder, so obviously the hacker had diverted the emails. I'm not sure how the hacker got in, so cannot help there, but DO NOT FALL FOR THIS if you receive a nag box. Like I did.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Windows 10 does genuinely have nag boxes that ask you to sign in to a Microsoft account or non-specified things won't work properly.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I omitted to say I did a full virus scan on all my devices

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Windows 10 does genuinely have nag boxes that ask you to sign in to a Microsoft account or non-specified things won't work properly.
Windows 10 or office 365?
Other than office 365, Onedrive is the other MS service that’ll need user Authentication.
There’s a wide range of user choices in how to use an OS but I don’t get MS nagging me. YMMV 👍

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
If it is MS that was diverting my emails then that's even worse. And why did it accept my old password? It should have asked for my new one. But if that is the case, it means that this posting is wrong, in which case I apologise. It's such a coincidence though, it all happened at the same time, 09.32, when I signed in. Nag box gone. So I must find out what did send out the false emails to all my contacts. Kaspersky found nothing, nor AVG.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back