Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
we have a tag axle Arto 88F and love it.you ask why? well for us its because its got a great payload ,great stability on the road,excellent towing capability,the interior space is superb,we have never been restricted with sites or filling stations.If i start worrying about and extra pair of tyres or the fuel,then i will start asking myself ,"why are we doing this"?.All i ask myself at the momment is "Why not".
Brian & Jo

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Totally agree and the very reason we bought this van, we had our eye on 3, this one a Concorde and a N+B.
Didn't like the Concorde layout, bigvan silly little lounge, loved the N+B but the length and especially the height put us off.
Every van is a compromise just depends on your own priorities. Ours was big garage for motorbike over 1 tonne payload, fixed bed, full size bathroom, and large lounge. At 7.6mts thats about as short as you're gonna get that lot in.
What we really want is the facilities of an RV in a 6.5mt van but unfortunately the makers of the Tardis don't make motorhomes.:)

LOL at that .. i am just going to spend the day seeing if i can get 3 MX bikes in the garage , height is my limiting factor , even with the forks pulled down , and i refuse to take wheels out .

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
LOL at that .. i am just going to spend the day seeing if i can get 3 MX bikes in the garage , height is my limiting factor , even with the forks pulled down , and i refuse to take wheels out .

Can get a 650 Kawasaki Versys plus 2 electric bikes or 650 Kawasaki Versys plus all the tables chairs, mats, bbq, washer dryer, etc etc and bikes on rear bike rack.
I never take the wheels out of any.
Not sure I could get 3 motox bikes in but definitely could get 2 in easily.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
image.jpeg
Why have one, why bloody not. I love my tag.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Can get a 650 Kawasaki Versys plus 2 electric bikes or 650 Kawasaki Versys plus all the tables chairs, mats, bbq, washer dryer, etc etc and bikes on rear bike rack.
I never take the wheels out of any.
Not sure I could get 3 motox bikes in but definitely could get 2 in easily.

The Euramobil is very high at the back , all the height goes with the floor being so high, whereas all the Burstners are at least a foot lower , but the flip side of that is that you drag the arse out of them when they are fully loaded, as a few i have seen have done in the past. I wouldnt want to put a road bike in it , anything over 100KG would be a PITA .. but as we have said , its all a compromise, i had to have the lounge space of an A class, else i would have lost room compared to my 7.5 tonner, which i wasnt prepared to do. We have a full size wooden table and benches a la european beer tent , and toolboxes and generator, so it gets pretty cramped. Luckily we are only ever away for 4 days , so dont have to carry loads of living stuff.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
it get's worse for you Rory, you've got 8 wheels to repair now (y):D

In answer to the OP,. what sort of answer are you looking for?

many will have them because they can and for no other reason other than that.
some will have them for payload and space for full timing.
some will have them for towing capacity for racing etc,

why not nip across to your neighbour and ask him what his reason is?

someone said to me the other week "why do you have such a big motorhome?" then the two Newfies got out and he said "how do you cope with such a small motorhome" :sneaky:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@haganap
Yep 8 wheels but swapped the Versy for a 300cc scooter this week and you're right had a bloody puncture on the scooter yesterday :eek:

Meet Mr Scoot

20160526_201359.jpg

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We had a tag Burstner for over 7 years as we full timed. 1200Kg payload very stable in high winds when driving and winterised very warm much better than a single floor job which we now have

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Not looking for any specific answer, just intrigued.
I do like the look, stance of them.
The one near me last night was only a couple o feet longer than me.
Two folk in it, just like us most of the time
I, we, like the space.
I was just looking at pluses, and minuses really.

BTW! I can afford the extra tyres

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
An MOT bay set up for single axles cannot do tag axles - my favourite garage for my Motorhome let me know this and I would prefer to keep using him as he is local - its the rolling road built into the floor to test the brakes etc - not just a question of the ramp! - just so that you know!
Why not our local MOT Station has a large bay with a pit. Standard rolling road brake tester.
Tested our Tag no problem each pair of rear wheels drop into the brake tester ok.
Chris

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
With regards to French Tolls our previous van a McLoius was over 3 metres and we always got charged the higher class 4 rate, My Mrs would have none of it and press the button on the machine to talk to somebody and in her best french (pretty much non existent lol) tell them we were a camping car, every time except once they changed us to Class 2 including the Milau bridge

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
I have one because of, much bigger payload, more tolerance on axle weights, very very stable both while driving and stopped. Van has rear legs as std but I never use them as its so stable anyway don't see the need. And more SPACE inside simples.

Axle tolerance allows me to carry my Honda PES125 either in the garage or on my rear rack legally.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Simply, we like the room, we like the layout, we like the payload, we like the way it drives

After two years of owning a tag ( 8 years or so of non tag ownership before ) we have yet to find a down side caused by it being a tag

Oh and we do not do toll roads.. so no idea if they are dearer with a tag or not..
Why anyone would use a toll is a bit of a mystery to us.. Tried them a couple of times.. did not improve travel time and we found fuel cost higher on them and toll costs high..

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
The one I saw this weekend drove up onto level ramps on the front rear axle set on one side.
Seemed to me to just lift that wheel into arch
When viewing from front it did not look level.
Are they harder to level.
I'm bad enough walking around the MH sober if not level.
Never mind after a couple o three (maybe more) tinnies.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
No fish swimming about today then Tony?

Join us or log in to post a reply.