Tag Axel height adjustment (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
:Eeek:I have a 2009 Fiat Dethleffs A7871 Tag axel Beastie which is great. The problem is the rear over hang can scrape when getting on and off ferries etc. I saw one whilst at Euro Disney the rear of which was very jacked up, probably too high. The owner a very nice Italian chap stated via sign language as I did not understand a word. That there was adjustment on them to jack them up. Anyone had any experience of this???

Thanks

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Dont know about adjustment. The only suggestion I can make is to speak to AS Suspension of warrington. They will fit you with Air suspension but it wont be cheap £2.5k for a tag axle but you will be able to jack it up going on/off ferrires.

http://www.as-airsuspension.co.uk/

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am wondering if Driverite do an air bag spring "assister" kit... much less than £2.5 k !!!

I am probably asking a stupid question...

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The trouble is JJ, its an ALKO chassis. Driverite only fits normal chassis. Also as its a tag axle 2 kits are required, hence the cost

Lunarman

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi guys. Our's has 2 wheels on the rear of the chassis to accomadate this problem. I have not got a picture to post, never been able to attach one.
pudseykeith

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The trouble is JJ, its an ALKO chassis. Driverite only fits normal chassis. Also as its a tag axle 2 kits are required, hence the cost

Lunarman

Ok John... fair enough...

I was thinking... just fit one kit to the front tag axle and pump it up when needed... the second axle would just follow it over the sticky up bit...????

JJ :Cool:

These air assisters thingies were not originally made for my Iveco 35-12 but they do them now... bet they get around to the ALKO in due course...

OP
OP
mogbl
Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Thanks everyone but trying not to go the air suspension way if I can. The Italian chap did it without. Had a mechanic look thinks that the suspension is on a spline mechanism that can be rotated slightly to raise the height. He shall have a closer look Monday.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Thanks everyone but trying not to go the air suspension way if I can. The Italian chap did it without. Had a mechanic look thinks that the suspension is on a spline mechanism that can be rotated slightly to raise the height. He shall have a closer look Monday.

I couldn't be doin with that-------------just picture the scene------you drive all the way round the loading roadway---there in front of you is the ramp --with a steep climb----so you have to stop----get out the tool to adjust the height----while the ferries deck-hands are trying to load the whole boat in 5 mins-----while the queue builds up behind you--------
I would be toooooo embarrased to stop !!!!
I would look at ----either lifting the back suspension permanently-------or--air bags on back axle with on-board compressor----to lift when necessary.
I know nothing about the Al-Ko system, but it sounds like the stub axle assembly is fitted the chassis on a spline---so maybe it can be re-positioned ????????? Remember that by lifting the suspension it will slightly affect stability
Nigel

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
personally i would look at have some loading wheels fitted under the towbar like the ones that skip lorries have at the rear
ok so it still bottoms the rear of the van but it then rolls instead of scraping. and in normal daily use they don't touch the ground.:thumb:

andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back