Tacho for Motorhomes? (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Rumor is that over 3.5 ton. tachos will be fitted to Motorhomes . As there already in vans at the min. Good idea or wat.?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having been ruled for most of my life by a tacho am not about to use one now. Where did this rumour come from ?.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Rumour eh! What about that you'll also need a CPC and a transport manager too ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
kite%20flying.png

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I wouldn't say 'rules' is the right word. Without tacho there would be many many employers pushing drivers to drive more hours and take less rest! Driver fatigue is a major problem and tacho are there to ensure the appropriate rest is taken, that a driver of a 44ton missile has not driven for longer than necessary and also that within Europe at least the vast majority of cases, we all play on a level playing field to be able to compete in a cut throat market. It would be like saying let's not have speed limits and everyone drive how fast or slow they like.

That said, I wouldn't want one in my MH as too I'm ruled by tacho card in my profession but I think it's a good rule. Anyway tacho' are only used or need to be used where you are using a vehicle for the transport of goods for a third party for financial gain.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I wouldn't say 'rules' is the right word. Without tacho there would be many many employers pushing drivers to drive more hours and take less rest! Driver fatigue is a major problem and tacho are there to ensure the appropriate rest is taken, that a driver of a 44ton missile has not driven for longer than necessary and also that within Europe at least the vast majority of cases, we all play on a level playing field to be able to compete in a cut throat market. It would be like saying let's not have speed limits and everyone drive how fast or slow they like.

That said, I wouldn't want one in my MH as too I'm ruled by tacho card in my profession but I think it's a good rule. Anyway tacho' are only used or need to be used where you are using a vehicle for the transport of goods for a third party for financial gain.
Agree, BUT tachos are a two sided coin. I know of drivers that without a tacho would have taken a short break when tired, but because they had not driven for 4.5 hours felt they had to press on.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
A lot of people are getting "Dash Cams" to record their progress ? AND there are places where recordings of Sinners Sinning LOL,can be sent for police action...... Big Brother !
So.
If confronted by this information,tacho evidence from the Dash Cam vehicle could ensure the police get two perps......Work it out yourselves.
Have worked with Log Books/Tacho's.. NOT the plastic card,have retired,but the Tacho could,did work FOR you,as well as showing you as a SINNER. LOL.
Sinner. (retired-ish)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
No.
EU Tachometer rules only cover carriage of goods for commercial purposes in vehicles that have a total permissable weight of over 3.5 tonnes
So you won't need one in a motorhome. Whatever it's weight.
Allan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they also cover over 7.5 ton non commercials but as said m,homes are not included .
but carrying your own furniture etc can be .

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Dont think this is going to hapen.
here you dont need a taco in a7.5 ton truck
if you stay within 25km of your base.
crazy but true

Mel

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Don't know what your all getting upset about. Tacos were the best thing ever........er.....Besides takila.......er and big hats.......Oh, and BANDITOS.......to ever come out of Mexico. (y)(y)(y)(y)
Tacos in your motorhome would be great!. :)

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Rumours central is working as usual.
Knee-jerk based on rumour.

There are changes afoot regarding the fitment of Tacho equipment, the operating radius before fitment is required is to be extended, Mel.
A new EU Regulation will replace the existing EU 3821/85.
Like the existing regs, the rules relate to commercials and PSVs, not to private non commercials.​

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back