Tableware (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Ikea 'Corelle' is only 50p an item. You could eat at a Greek plate smashing event and really enjoy yourself for less than the cost of an Ouzo...... It's really good stuff for the price and we have both in the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
We did have some but found out after we had bought it that if it broke it shattered into thousands of sharp pieces. Having 3 dogs at the time put us off it completely & the thought of trying to get the shards out of the carpet etc.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We prefer to eat of 'proper' plates and drink form 'proper' glasses - just like you do at home.
The extra weight is minimal

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have Corelle and have used it every day for 6 years and it's still unmarked and luckily we haven't broke any.(y)

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
I broke a plate from my set and yes it was very sharp ( they said it's unbreakable at NEC show) but too far to return it.
Ikea sounds good might look at that because I do like them and would buy again

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We got a set of "square round" shape - they're great, but too big! the 'luncheon plate' we use as dinner plate, the 'dinner plate' as serving plate. The 'cereal bowl' we use for a pasta or rice bowl.

OP
OP
teddybear
Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Thanks to all for your replies, we want the square plates, so that rules out the IKEA option.Have found a set which we like at a reduced price ,so will go to storage tomorrow and measure locker and see if will fit

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I have a set of Corelle and agree that it's much better than eating off plastic.
As to whether or not it is worth the money, that is a personal opinion based on how much someone hates eating off plastic, or otherwise ;)

It is tough, but has never been "unbreakable" and being glass based, when it breaks, it shatters horrendously, an example of which my stepdaughter taught me a few years ago :whistle:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We splashed out on china. Looks good and is much nicer to use, and we got exactly the pieces we wanted. So far, we've not managed to break any but it's all replaceable, piecemeal, if we should. It is individual and I doubt we'll ever get our plates muddled with anyone else's on a camp site.
Note that Corelle mugs are of a different material from the plates. Value is a personal thing.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Bought 'unbreakable' glasses for the van. OK until one fell on a stone floor, when it disappeared into a million pieces.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We bought a set in the states in 2014. Much cheaper and they are very nice. However a plate chipped and i contacted the uk office. I sent them a photo and a replacement came in the post. It was under a year old then. I stopped using them when another chipped.

We then bought bamboo set very expensive! But dont like the feel. So may try the ikea range now :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have plastic plates as they don't make the food cold when you serve up like glass/ceramic/stoneware etc ones do, they are also lighter and stack smaller ... and more forgiving if you drop them! We have different types, squarish dinner and side plates and some oval ones in 2 sizes which are ideal for soups, stews, curries etc. They fit in the cupboard much easier than round plates. For drinking we have some old 1970s (?) Pyrex mugs ... as they are glass we can use them as glasses too by removing the plastic holder.

mug.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is the other blue?
If you mean my Pyrex mugs ... I've got 2 different shades of blue, a light green one, 2 or 3 orange and some yellow ones too! Picked them up from car boot sales and charity shops ... I have to 'resist' buying them as I really don't need anymore but they are so good it is very tempting seeing as they aren't made now!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Good idea to have different colours, for identification of 'ownership'.. When I had some, I think they were all grey.

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We used to have China crockery in the caravan but bought Corelli when we changed to our MH as its lighter in weight. The mugs are not the same material they are thick China so they went to a charity shop. I'm hoping there is a stand at the NEC in a couple of weeks as we need two more tea plates. We originally bought 4 of everything but now need 6. Tried online but tea plates are out of stock. I think they are a good buy.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We use arcopal, similar but much cheaper than corelle, don't now what happens when they break despite the best efforts of 'the clumsiest people in the world' have seen them in range. Not seen the ikea ones but not been there for years.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
(n)
We have plastic plates as they don't make the food cold when you serve up like glass/ceramic/stoneware etc ones do, they are also lighter and stack smaller ... and more forgiving if you drop them! ]

I agree plastic do all of the above, but the feel is just :confused::eek::whistle: and I can't say that the plates in the van cool the food any more than my home stuff, or are you on plastic at home too (n)

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We use proper wine glasses and china cups ..but we use melamine dish washable plates (not the ones made in China as you cannot use them for hot food)...or if we feel particularly lazy or in a rush we use disposable plates.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
(n)

I agree plastic do all of the above, but the feel is just :confused::eek::whistle: and I can't say that the plates in the van cool the food any more than my home stuff, or are you on plastic at home too (n)
They are 'melamine' type plastic, not the daft picnic type ones, and are good quality, they are in fact quite old, probably made in the 70s - we got them years ago from a chap who had an 8 piece set for his caravan but didn't use them, complete with mugs and bowls (which we also use for cereal etc), they are still in great condition with very little signs of use, if any at all, very durable so we won't be changing them any time soon.

At home we use normal crockery: mugs are china or stoneware and we have various types of bowls/plate which are pyrex, china and stoneware, but they DO cool stuff down so plates are usually warmed under the grill ... can't stand being served cold grub that's supposed to be hot! In the camper I can't warm plates as I don't have a grill hence why we use the old melamine type ones ... if you have a melamine and china plate next to each other you will be able to tell the difference in 'temperature' ... if you put the same hot food on each that on the china one will cool down quicker.

There is a wide variety of 'plastic' type crockery and some of the cheap stuff is horrible and scratches very easily but a good quality set is certainly worth having IMV.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Crockery. That's a lovely word from another era that no one seems to use much any more. We should bring back some old words, like splendid and tun dish.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Crockery. That's a lovely word from another era that no one seems to use much any more. We should bring back some old words, like splendid and tun dish.
Golly gosh, what a spiffing idea! :D

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Good idea to have different colours, for identification of 'ownership'.. When I had some, I think they were all grey.
We used to have China crockery in the caravan but bought Corelli when we changed to our MH as its lighter in weight. The mugs are not the same material they are thick China so they went to a charity shop. I'm hoping there is a stand at the NEC in a couple of weeks as we need two more tea plates. We originally bought 4 of everything but now need 6. Tried online but tea plates are out of stock. I think they are a good buy.
There's usually a big stand for Corelle and a good range, too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back