Tablets (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
So, my Samsung tablet is old, battery is starting to show it's age and it's slow, well to old to support newer software and handle many web sites either security issues or to much c$$p to open up, even Fun can be a struggle sometimes depending on add content.

Replacement, now I appreciate I may be answering my own question but, 10" screen mainly used for web browsing, couple of forums, email to a point and, errr, satisfying my youtube addiction. Nothing apple, see nothing but issues with anything apple related, asus, wife had one it was rubbish, have they changed? Any other suggestions apart from the obvious Samsung, I do like this one but time moves on?
Microsoft one, what's that about. For the business we run everything on a pc on windows 10, would a microsoft one have any advantages in connectivity to the pc?

Thoughts folks?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Si & Sarah, I hope all is going well for you both and winter has not been too hard .. we are looking forward to another Scottish tour and visiting 5Roads again.

Meanwhile, I can't help much with computer techie stuff except to say I feel the same as you regarding anything Apple and still find Samsung + Android my favourite for phones and tabs.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
This should be interesting.

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
What’s wrong with an iPad?

I just use mine for browsing and emails and it’s great.

Never had a problem with a single one. This is my 3rd and my daughter until recently was still using my first which was about 7 years old.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A couple of years ago I bought the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10. It is a 12" tablet complete with touchscreen that can be turned into a laptop by attaching its dedicated keyboard. Brilliant bit of kit. It can also be used as a desktop by using a dedicated docking station, and that is the way i use it when I am at home, attached to wireless keyboard and mouse and using a 24" monitor, whilst still having the tablet screen on as well.

When we go away I just unplug the docking station, re-attach the keyboard, and take it away. That way I have all of my many years of Windows documents and Outlook emails available as well as all the Windows software I use at home. Especially important to me because I run a remote helpline that needs something better than webmail to work well.

It was eye wateringly expensive, but managed to charge most of it to my business.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Any pad can be great or fail, as the competitive market would soon have weeded out the iPad, Samsung or Surface were they not suitable for purpose.
As for the iPad, there are an awful lot of people who now support what I believe to be the market leader. It can work happily alongside Windows these days so no problem there. Although my wife has one, I am happy to stick with my Windows PC or my cheap LG phone when away from home.
I tried the Samsung tablet in PC World but did not feel comfortable with the its friendliness, so each to their own I suppose.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Love my iPad. Have had the same one since 2012. No issues at all. Understand new 2018 iPad coming out very soon and rumour is it will be very reasonably priced, in the region of £250 so I am waiting to update to a larger memory which I think is going to be about £350 which is still cheaper than I paid for my 16gb which was £399! I am only talking Wifiand not 3G which will be more expensive.

OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for the input folks, thought I'd post first then google which suggests apple something or other, samsung s3 then the google one, decisions decisions.

Brian, all good here and warn is next time and we'll try and arrange a trip next door for a spot of food and a glàss of water or two:)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If you want to go down the "cheapie" but branded route - consider an Amazon Fire tablet.
Reasonable specs, takes a microSD card for extra storage and is only £149...
Which given your usage might be perfect.

The downside is that it is supposedly "crippled" by only having access to the Amazon App store which is limited.
However, simply by downloading 4 Google apps, installing them [takes about 5 mins, plenty of instructions on the Net + Youtube tutorials] will give you access to the Google Play store and a fully functional Android tablet.

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
I'm with Brian in saying that I favour Samsung for tablets and phones. I have the 10.5 in Galaxy Tab S, it's a marvellous bit of kit

I have a Samsung J5 phone and a 12" Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro .... very happy with both. (y)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
How easy is it to transfer all your apps and files etc from iPad to Samsung tablets?
I've done it pad to pad but am seriously considering a Samsung. Got in the region of £450. to change.
The present iPad (4) is no longer supported by apple and is only 3 years old, so I'm looking for something more future proof.
doesn't need to be high end but a mid range tablet would be nice.
Suggestions please
Geoff

OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Update, went and had a play in Currys and now have the Samsung tab s3.
Fast, compared to the old one, is an understatement, so far very happy.
Graphics very impressive as is the sound, and being I'm used to Samsung pretty easy to get going with, well once I'd dug out the various passwords for this and that!

Thanks again for your input folks.

Hopefully this one will last 5 years like the last:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back