Tabletop BBQ that can be used as an occasional oven (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
You've ordered the Weber which I'm sure you won't be disappointed with at all. I've had one for many many years and though I've always looked for alternatives to it's versatility I've never found one. Cadacs are just toys in my opinion :whew: It's true you do not need a regulator when using the van connection so no worries there. One complaint I have heard of the Weber is that the cast iron griddle doesn't get hot enough and sometimes this can be the case when your trying to sear more than a couple of steaks at a high temp. Filling the griddle completely can cool it somewhat but that is the only minus to this BBQ. To counter this I bought a Coleman adjustable regulator which goes up to 50mbar but for this you need an extra bottle. Having a 5kg roaming bottle is a good thing however as sometimes the sun or wind is on the wrong side of the van so you can move your BBQ around to wherever you want it without the restrictions of a length of hose. And please all you health and safety people....the BBQ just gets a bit hotter thats all.....no danger.

To roast in your Weber I suggest you take length of aluminium foil about one and half metres long and scrunch it up into a long sausage of foil....not scrunched tight but kind of loosely to about a normal sausage diameter. Then coil it up and put it on the griddle and then your roasting pan on top. This will prevent the bottom of your pan becoming too hot and burning though you still have to watch for this. I have an older Weber when the lid had less height, I believe the newer ones are a tad taller but investing in the rotisserie isn't a bad idea not necessarily for the rotisserie - I hardly ever use it - but for the extra height the surrounding stainless steel guard gives you. Quite large joints such as full shoulder of Lamb can be roasted this way and two large chickens no problem! For the winter time I put a large folded towel on the lid to help retain the heat. Probably should invest in an old style fire blanket for this but still alive so far.

I have some experience with feeding an Autistic Child so I do sympathise greatly on the challenging meal times. Texture is everything to them as I found out. Crispy Food seems to be favoured. At home I bought an Air Fryer in which I would fry slices of Parsnip for snacks which she loved! experimenting with different root vegetables in this with a bit of Olive oil was wonderful....! The air fryer mean't that producing crispy food was fairly odour free, quick and clean with minimal oil and safer also as no large amounts of hot oil hanging around. Fresh Cod generously coated with homemade bread crumbs - the dried stuff is far too small to get an attractive, crunchy coating to satisfy her - mean't she would eat some fish finally! On the other end of the texture scale was her favourite meal of boiled mashed potatoes blended with a healthy portion of fresh spinach cooked in a non stick pan with some butter. Either blended with a hand blender or put into a food processor. Proportionally it was two thirds spinach to one of potato....I love both these foods but this stuff tasted fairly awful without any other seasoning but she absolutely loved it! And ate it most days. I guess it may be the connection to early memories of baby food? Who knows.

I clean my weber....er....maybe....once a year? lol! Apart from after cooking where I give it a good scrub with a wire brush and then prior to cooking I wipe the griddle down with some oil on kitchen paper until the paper is almost coming off cleanish......I don't clean the rest of it at all until I decide to give it a good going over perhaps once a year. But then I mostly use it for roasting where I put the joint in a tin....but I also use it in the traditional way often but just not as much. Just line the drip tray with some Alu-Foil rather than the Weber trays, such cheaper. I have a large motorhome with underfloor storage where I keep it and eventually traced a strange musky smell to the Weber in the winter as the van heated up underfloor.....now I keep it in a custom made zipper bag which keeps any smells contained. Even if you clean it....it's a BBQ....it will have a scent.

That'll do....enjoy your Weber! You'll love it!
The aluminium foil idea is better than mine. I was looking at some sort of trivet to raise the roasting pan. Thanks! Not sure if we need the rotisserie. The boys don't eat anything rotisseried (sic - is that a word?) and we kind of live off marinated chicken, sis type kebabs, sausages, chops and steaks. With local salad and bread obvs!

Anyway, it has arrived and is about the same weight as the cheapo grease bucket thing that I am throwing out, which is good. The replacement adapter and a new length of gas hose is scheduled to arrive on Weds. I always think that re-using gas hose is asking for trouble. Just need remember to unscrew clockwise and tighten anti-clockwise...

Re: ASD offspring. Without a motorhome, we wouldn't get away on holiday. The boys won't fly, one loves trains, one hates them, one likes this, the other likes that. But we like travelling and need to keep ourselves sane, so we tugged for three years before spending a bloody kings ransom on a new bus. What we do is leave the moho open as much as possible and the boys can go in and out whenever, which then creates the feeling that the moho is just an extension of home, so they love being in it. But food? Breakfast & dinner is the same 365 days a year. Lunch is always a huge plate of fruit, so they are covered for vitamins! Green veg? Forget it!

I saw that you have to have a throwaway foil tray under the Weber. Weber stamp their trays with their logo and charge a fortune for them. Ebay got me 60 that will fit under the Weber, for a fiver.

Our BBQ lives in a lined canvas holdall. You are right, it doesn't stop it smelling, but it does reduce it. I won't be adding to Weber share dividend by buying their >£40 carry bag!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
The aluminium foil idea is better than mine. I was looking at some sort of trivet to raise the roasting pan. Thanks! Not sure if we need the rotisserie. The boys don't eat anything rotisseried (sic - is that a word?) and we kind of live off marinated chicken, sis type kebabs, sausages, chops and steaks. With local salad and bread obvs!

Anyway, it has arrived and is about the same weight as the cheapo grease bucket thing that I am throwing out, which is good. The replacement adapter and a new length of gas hose is scheduled to arrive on Weds. I always think that re-using gas hose is asking for trouble. Just need remember to unscrew clockwise and tighten anti-clockwise...

Re: ASD offspring. Without a motorhome, we wouldn't get away on holiday. The boys won't fly, one loves trains, one hates them, one likes this, the other likes that. But we like travelling and need to keep ourselves sane, so we tugged for three years before spending a bloody kings ransom on a new bus. What we do is leave the moho open as much as possible and the boys can go in and out whenever, which then creates the feeling that the moho is just an extension of home, so they love being in it. But food? Breakfast & dinner is the same 365 days a year. Lunch is always a huge plate of fruit, so they are covered for vitamins! Green veg? Forget it!

I saw that you have to have a throwaway foil tray under the Weber. Weber stamp their trays with their logo and charge a fortune for them. Ebay got me 60 that will fit under the Weber, for a fiver.

Our BBQ lives in a lined canvas holdall. You are right, it doesn't stop it smelling, but it does reduce it. I won't be adding to Weber share dividend by buying their >£40 carry bag!
Not that I have one but always thought it slightly odd that the gas connection for a bbq I have seen would position the bbq under the canopy or do they have long hoses?
Similar issue on our last Hymer the gas vent for the fridge went into the canopy space and although we only used an enclosed room about 3 times it would discharge fumes into the room!

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Agree. Ours is unhelpfully near the middle of the moho. But the solution is easy. Put on a longer hose. There is no UK law or regulation on hose length, although manufacturers recommendation varies between 1.5m to 3m. The biggest reason offered seems to be tripping over the hose and pulling out the hose from its connector, leaving gas to freely escape. But I have never really got this. It is surely more likely to pull the hose off a plug or adapter if the hose is short? And I always double up the wormgear clamps.

Our fridge & heater vents on the other side, so no issue there.

One annoying issue about the Weber that I have already found, is that the Q1000 lid does not have a thermometer. I need an oven thermometer. Wireless thermometers all seem to be for probes. I don't use probe thermometers. I know when something is cooked!

The Q1200 does have a thermometer, but it also comes with a stand (that I do not need) that adds £120. Solution is to buy a thermometer for a tenner and fit it to the lid. However it really goes against the grain to drill a hole, albeit a small hole, in my brand new barbecue!

Motorhoming seems to be an endless journey of buying something that is close to what you need and adapting it to become exactly what you need! Why can't they make exactly what we need? You get the feeling that motorhome & equipment designers wouldn't know a PVC from an A Class!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
This is the tabletop version of my BBQ, can roast and bake with it due to how you configure the funnel plus it's got a thermometer.
<Broken link removed>

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
I've used a Cobb ever since I saw them being used on the 'Hairy Bikers' series. They are good, easy to light and you can cook a joint in them. Downside.. they are a nightmare to clean.
I’ve only used Cobblestones with mine and it wasn’t an issue to clean. Is it worse if you use briquettes?

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
The Q1200 does have a thermometer, but it also comes with a stand (that I do not need) that adds £120.
The Q1200 is also available with the same sort of basic stand as the Q1000, an extra £46 direct from Weber. I realise that's probably not much use now to the OP, though.

Another thought is - why does a thermometer have to be wireless? The cable for my meat thermometer is pretty thin, and would certainly not stop you shutting the lid of a Q1000 - in fact I've used it successfully in our Q1200 to measure internal temperature of a chicken. (Very easy to overcook a chicken!).

It may well be you could use the probe inside the Weber just to measure ambient temperature rather than temperature of meat etc, always assuming the probe measures high enough. I've been looking at a temperature control system for a kamado barbecue which comes with 2 wired probes, one for ambient temperature, the other for meat etc, so it is possible. The ambient probe comes with a stand to hold it in place inside the bbq. Similar ambient probes I've seen claim to measure up to 350C.

Last edited:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
As you say the double skillet is a brilliant piece of kit if used carefully, as over many years (18yrs) they loose their non-stick effectiveness, I would like to buy a new one as the two large ones I still have are no longer very non-stick, I have emailed the company on two occasions asking if the intend to stock the larger versions, which I have currently, but they have never replied, I feel the smaller 20cm would be too small for me.
The manufacture and sales of these was taken over from the original ladies who sold them. This is who sells them now. Welcome to the Double Skillet Pan Company

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What are the differences between the Q1000, and Q1200. Just the temp gauge?
The 1200 has a temperature gauge and fold out side tables. It also has an electronic ignition, whereas the 1000 has piezo.

Surprisingly the prices are the same for both models on the Weber UK site.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Surprisingly the prices are the same for both models on the Weber UK site.
Yep, £299.
Electronic ignition could be good, but I don't need the fold out tables for an additional 99 quid..

Amazon has the Q1000 for £203. Which arrived yesterday!

Amazon product ASIN B00GYVM3PO
But the Q1200 is up at £389 on Amazon!
Ouch!

Sep 8, 2020
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614
Exp
does caravaning as a kid count?
Apologies for dredging up an old thread but I want to do the same mod to a Webber Q1000 that DDJC has done but I'm not sure which is the correct adapter to order to replace the regulator. You mentioned left-hand thread but in the various (american) youtube videos the regulator appears to unscrew anti-clockwise so standard RH thread. Please can you clarify which adapter/kit you ordered?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I like the idea of the weber 1200 rotisserie, but not only is expensive, I think it only runs on 240V? shame they dont do a battery one, I think there was a cheapo Chinese one at one time but I didn't follow it up.
Had ours 2 years now not had a chance to use it yet, either weather was rubbish in shoulder months so didnt take it, or no travel in last 12 months of lockdown.
Anyhow, anyone fancy some roast gammon & roast potatoes? have a look at this guy below I think he likes his spuds well oiled somehow, we do dry roasted, just roll in olive oil & salt job done.(y)
LES

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Apologies for dredging up an old thread but I want to do the same mod to a Webber Q1000 that DDJC has done but I'm not sure which is the correct adapter to order to replace the regulator. You mentioned left-hand thread but in the various (american) youtube videos the regulator appears to unscrew anti-clockwise so standard RH thread. Please can you clarify which adapter/kit you ordered?

This is the adapter I fitted. Everything works perfectly.

Amazon product ASIN B0756ZYWWZ

It was a breeze to fit and I am a DIY arse. Inside five minutes. A couple of things you need to note.

1. Removing the old gas fitting needs two spanners. You have to hold the Weber fitting still while you remove the old adapter, because it looks as if it will break off if you don't. You need to be brave taking it off, because it doesn't look a very secure looking fitting!

2. Fairly sure it did go on the 'wrong' way, but I looked inside the nut, and saw which way the thread goes. Easy.

3. Fit the hose onto the adapter with wormgear clamps FIRST. It is a bit fiddly to do afterwards.

4. I did get some gas tight liquid PTFE, but didn't need to use it as the fitting is very good. Tested with a few drops of washing up liquid and water. No leakage.

I saved £120 by buying one of these:

Amazon product ASIN B07SYP461W
Remove the lid and clamp it still, then drill a suitable hole in the top front part of the lid. Slide on and secure on the inside with the nut. Tested and working. Most of these are graduated in Fahrenheit. I wanted Celsius so got this one. There are more Fahrenheit than Celsius out there.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007

Remove the lid and clamp it still, then drill a suitable hole in the top front part of the lid. Slide on and secure on the inside with the nut. Tested and working. Most of these are graduated in Fahrenheit. I wanted Celsius so got this one. There are more Fahrenheit than Celsius out there.
If you didn’t want to drill holes in your new Weber, did you consider any of the probe/Bluetooth thermometers available on Amazon (such as Inkbird)? You can then get true internal temp of bbq and the meat being cooked.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Double skillet for me (on gas) found at a carboot for £1 im saving for next motorhome
remoska (electric) use in house ,its great !

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
If you didn’t want to drill holes in your new Weber, did you consider any of the probe/Bluetooth thermometers available on Amazon (such as Inkbird)? You can then get true internal temp of bbq and the meat being cooked.
Yeah, thought about it, but I had fitted one of these thermometers to my tube smoker, so knew I could do it.

Sep 8, 2020
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614
Exp
does caravaning as a kid count?
This is the adapter I fitted. Everything works perfectly.

Amazon product ASIN B0756ZYWWZ

It was a breeze to fit and I am a DIY arse. Inside five minutes. A couple of things you need to note.

1. Removing the old gas fitting needs two spanners. You have to hold the Weber fitting still while you remove the old adapter, because it looks as if it will break off if you don't. You need to be brave taking it off, because it doesn't look a very secure looking fitting!

2. Fairly sure it did go on the 'wrong' way, but I looked inside the nut, and saw which way the thread goes. Easy.

3. Fit the hose onto the adapter with wormgear clamps FIRST. It is a bit fiddly to do afterwards.

4. I did get some gas tight liquid PTFE, but didn't need to use it as the fitting is very good. Tested with a few drops of washing up liquid and water. No leakage.

Amazon product ASIN B07SYP461W
Perfect, that's just what I needed to know and also for the tip on the thermostat. Thanks

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I have done oven chips on the cadaver, in the remoska and in a ridge monkey.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We've got the table top Cadac and we take our airfryer with us for chips. We also have a Remoska for cooking inside.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I like the idea of the weber 1200 rotisserie, but not only is expensive, I think it only runs on 240V? shame they dont do a battery one,
yes you can get a battery one that runs off battery or 240v, not cheap i think it was about £30

Attachments

• IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3699.jpg
    IMG_3699.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 11

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Don't you just love predictive text? 🤣
Adds body to your chips, with a free meat course; not bought specially, of course. Just something I dug around for ... Looking for 12v self raising version now ... :rolleyes: (y)

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back