Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
can anyone recomend a cheap device[ not phone] for web browsing at wi fi cafes etc while were abroad ? it used to be simple a few years back when it was a choice between desk top or laptop but now im totally confused as to what is what and after a trip to pc world im none the wiser !!! i think the assistant went away to commit" hari kari" when i asked if bluetooth was the same thing as blu ray ?? i think something with a 10" screen would suit us best but which one ? cheers garry

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Sorry I cannot help you but I will watch this post with interest as I am in the same predicament. We currently use an ancient Fujitzu which has a battery life of less than two hours and sucks more out of the leisure batteries than the tele. and Sky box combined

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i got a archos 101 tablet from ebay it was a used 1 but i got it for around 45 quid and it is great so if you can get 1 of those go for it others may have different opinions and their own choice but i can only speak of the 1 i have its bluetooth wireless on a android system :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Same dilemma!

Tablet is OK if only needed for web browsing and emails but anything more serious eg storing photographs, word processing or spreadsheets is better with a netbook.
I bought an ipad thinking it was going to be more versatile than it turned out to be and ended up buying a netbook as well to be able to do blogs, store photos, run spreadsheets, sat nav update programs. I still love the ipad, but it is not a substitute for a "proper" computer but is instantly "on" when wanting to browse and the touchscreen is great. I have probably confused you even more by now!
Cheap net books are good from Morgan computers on the Internet.

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i take my laptop with me when im away always but the tablet will come in handy as well for books and sometimes if i dont want to lug a laptop into a internet cafe or mac'd's

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Personally I use a 10" Samsung N150+ /500gb HDD 2gb ram very versatile and light enough to pop it in backpack loaded with AutoRoute , MapPoint ,and Maptech, Total tides and a lot more so can also use it as navigator ashore or marine. with dash bracket acts as sat-nav with gps dongle. much more versatile than a tablet picks up wifi a treat .

Back-up is an older HP 2710P with 12" screen which does much the same but the screen swivels and automatically turns into tablet with touch screen pen fine when static in van

my choice ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
ASUS 10" notebook with a 1 Tb Seagate as backup, the portable drive carries all our movies as well.

Also use a Nexus tablet, smartphone and a Kindle on WiFi.

Rgds
Bill

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
can anyone recomend a cheap device[ not phone] for web browsing at wi fi cafes etc while were abroad ? it used to be simple a few years back when it was a choice between desk top or laptop but now im totally confused as to what is what and after a trip to pc world im none the wiser !!! i think the assistant went away to commit" hari kari" when i asked if bluetooth was the same thing as blu ray ?? i think something with a 10" screen would suit us best but which one ? cheers garry

If you just want something for web browsing, get a cheap unbranded Android tablet. Make sure it has as a minimum (this shouldn't be difficult).

10" screen
Dual Core Processor
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. (Android 4.1/4.2 Jelly Bean even better)
3G
Wifi

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
well I have to say, I like your question:Smile:

You will get many many different answers:Smile:

I use an iPad and yes funnily enough you can take and store photos with it.

You can get an app called 'docs to go' if you want to use Word, Excel etc.

Browses the Internet a dream.

You can receive and send emails.

It is very user friendly and

You can use it all day and charge up at night:Smile::thumb:

But

Like I said some people love apple products (me)

Others like Android

Choice is yours.

Mine is a 32gb iPad 4th generation with cellular and is unlocked to any network.

I take pictures with my iphone and they are immediately transferred to my iPad.

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
wow and i thought "back in the day" having to choose between beta max and vhs was difficult !!!!!!!!!! garry

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
tablets etc.

Garry - I think you're as clueless as me when it comes to the very new technology. All those kind answers have confused me more. Can I wait until you've worked out what to buy and then I'll get the same?

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I bought a Samsung NC10 netbook from that well known auction site, just a small laptop, plenty of hard drive to put photos on when away, wifi connection etc. 10 inch screen. Runs Windows XP,

Fully charged it gives about 10 hours use
Used it all over Europe for internet connection and general computing.

OK, really old technology, but I paid £60 and it works. :Smile:

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating

The iPad! You can buy a pay as you go chip in whichever country you are in and browse the Internet, send and receive texts, upload, download photos. Added to this, you can use it with a free dash cam app to record your journey etc. plus everything else. Including sat nav apps! :thumb:

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Garry, going back to your original post I understand that initially you are mainly concerned about being able to use the web in places with (free) internet access.

If so look for something simple and inexpensive and don't be swayed by all the bells and whistles that are available.

Just like a washing machine you will probably only use a few of the features on whatever you get.

If you find that you get an interest in learning more then upgrade when you feel ready.

There are machines out there for around £100 which will do the job you want. Even a relatively basic kindle for example has internet/wi-fi capability.

HTH

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Another iPad vote here.:thumb:

We have two and, although we generally limit them to web browsing and photo storage, they're hugely extendable with wireless data storage either at home or with the excellent iCloud and numerous apps.

The fact they 'just work' is also a good reason to get one.

I have an old (bought new 4 years ago) netbook which I used extensively when I lived in Australia for a year. Great little thing with a 10 hour battery life (very handy on numerous occasions when waiting in Perth airport for 7 hours for a connecting flight), but blighted (as far as a little laptop device is) by not having an inbuilt CD/DVD drive and operating Windows which, by comparison to Apple, is very clunky and slow. My 11 year-old son now has this for school homework. The iPad is a far superior product with the right tools (apps) and storage, in my view.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Tesco Hudl

Free if you have vouchers!:thumb:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have had an Acer Aspire netbook with 10" screen for 3 years, bought originally for work, and find it quite adequate for travelling. Unlike other newer devices, it has USB ports for data sticks etc, satnav updates and slots for camera cards to download pics. I also bought a Liteon CD drive which works fine with it, and some cheap speakers, and am working out how to play dvds on it! Also have a T-mobile dongle for wifi-less places. It's all a learning experience. ::bigsmile:

Good luck whatever you choose!

Catherine

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
am working out how to play dvds on it! Good luck whatever you choose!
Catherine

USB DVD Drive and the standard media player should do the rest.

Failing that I use VLC media player. But be careful that it does not add a sales toolbar to your explorer.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I use a ipad and just bought a galaxy note both great machines in their own way

but Elaine is not quite a luddite on computers has started using the ipad and slowly become a big fan she is very happily
surfing net
checking emails and answering when needed
using ebay
with a little help shopping on amazon and such
plus the one thing she absolutely loves is on line banking its so easy

if it was me ipad every time but don't get caught into trap of buying a high spec new modal
16 gig I pad 2 is good value at moment

in a mo all apple bashers will be along

bugger me Elaine's on phone I bet she is spying on my fun posts :thumb:

dam forgot candy crush

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Tablet

I agree with Lesleyjean. But if you want something cheaper, I recently took out a subscription to the Times (online version) and they were offering an Asus 7" screen tablet for £50, so I took it. It's not 3G like the iPad, but if you only plan to use it wifi, it's very good. Don't know if the offer is still on though.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Rita is not into computers much, but has recently expressed a wish to have something small and handy along the lines of a tablet or a notebook, but did mention a preference for a keyboard rather than a touch screen, however, I was in the same position as the OP, Garry, ie, a bit clueless.

Having read most of the posts on here, which were very informative, I decided to go for >>this<<, and >>this<<. which I hope Rita will be pleased with. :Smile: If she's not, I'll shan't be backward in commandeering it. :winky:

The same deal (all but coppers difference) can be found >>here too<<.

Garry, thanks for asking the question. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Rita is not into computers much, but has recently expressed a wish to have something small and handy along the lines of a tablet or a notebook, but did mention a preference for a keyboard rather than a touch screen, however, I was in the same position as the OP, Garry, ie, a bit clueless.

Having read most of the posts on here, which were very informative, I decided to go for >>this<<, and >>this<<. which I hope Rita will be pleased with. :Smile: If she's not, I'll shan't be backward in commandeering it. :winky:

The same deal (all but coppers difference) can be found >>here too<<.

Garry, thanks for asking the question. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

I have just had a look at link and I would love to say you pay for you get

But I cant that actually looks a good set up for not much money
It is quite a high spec I would actually take a chance on it
I wonder if it will run a navigation set up ?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I have Laptop,netbook,tablet....for me either laptop or netbook...

The tablet has its place simple and quick light and easy to carry.

The Tablet is fine for short range wifi...in a cafe..restaurant...anywhere the signal is close....if that is what you will use it for then a tablet is fine.

The laptop or netbook with a usb wifi booster is great for picking up longer distance free wifi signals...so if you are a BT member in the uk you then have a lot more options...FON..Link Removed if you are not a bt member you could like me buy a fon box with a one off payment of about £39.00 and connect to your existing router...this will give you many free wifi using a wifi booster in many countries where you can find a fon signal including the uk.
Also on many of the free wifi hotspots....you could park in a supermarket car park and while the wife is shopping you could be on legal free wifi hotspot in the motorhome :RollEyes::winky::winky: mentioning no names....also libraries, called bibliothèques, some supermarkets in France...and many others...

So for me a laptop/netbook :thumb: :thumb:

Also on a tablet unless you have got an unlocked MIFI....where do you stick the usb dongle:Eeek::Doh::Doh: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I've not been on the lap top since Ralph got me the ipad. It's great. The ap for eBay is brilliant. Makes it so easy to list items. I've had a big clear out of our clothes and made so much cash I bet it's paid for half of it! Great for using in the Motorhome. :thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oh I forgot , find my friends is great too. The kids iPhones are tagged to it. So I feel safer knowing where they are especially now the dark nights are drawing in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back