LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've been looking at 7 inch tablets for a while as a GPS navigator but GPS equipped ones are mighty pricey.

This isn't....

Link Removed

Not actually navigated with it yet but I know NavFree and Copilot live should work.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I put tomtom on my galaxy tab and it works great

But is it free ?

You know what cheapskate freeloading penniless pensioners we are on FUN.

On the other hand, if it's good, why not pay, it's not much compared to the fuel you'll use using it.

I have NavFree on my phone and 10" tablet so I'll try Copilot Live first on this.

As a matter of interest, 7" used landscape is exactly the width of the radio slot, so I'm going to make a bracket to let it just drop in front of the radio.

10" is way to big for satnav and I don't want to keep taking my phone out of it's case, so this is where the Acer comes in.

It's so cute and light it just might take over from the 10".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I've been looking at 7 inch tablets for a while as a GPS navigator but GPS equipped ones are mighty pricey.

This isn't....

Link Removed

Not actually navigated with it yet but I know NavFree and Copilot live should work.

Are you sure it's got GPS Brian, it's says WiFi but not 3G, my iPad is wifi only and NavFree and copilot don't work on it, GPS is only on 3G.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
But is it free ?

You know what cheapskate freeloading penniless pensioners we are on FUN.

On the other hand, if it's good, why not pay, it's not much compared to the fuel you'll use using it.

I have NavFree on my phone and 10" tablet so I'll try Copilot Live first on this.

As a matter of interest, 7" used landscape is exactly the width of the radio slot, so I'm going to make a bracket to let it just drop in front of the radio.

10" is way to big for satnav and I don't want to keep taking my phone out of it's case, so this is where the Acer comes in.

It's so cute and light it just might take over from the 10".

You won't like the 7 ins one after the 10:winky:
Terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Are you sure it's got GPS Brian, it's says WiFi but not 3G, my iPad is wifi only and NavFree and copilot don't work on it, GPS is only on 3G.
What is this, something else that the ipad is lacking. My Note 10.1 has all the bells and whistles as standard. I do use it as a sat nav on occasions to.:winky:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
What is this, something else that the ipad is lacking. My Note 10.1 has all the bells and whistles as standard. I do use it as a sat nav on occasions to.:winky:

Change the bait Buttons, this one doesn't bite:RollEyes:, anyway what do you need sat nav for, you should know your way to breakfast at tiffany's by now:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are you sure it's got GPS Brian, it's says WiFi but not 3G,

Yes, I have it working fine on Google maps which means the WiFi and GPS work properly.

It does not have 3G because it's a tablet not a phone.

PS...

OK, iPad and some other tablets do have mobile phone broadband but I would not want this for GPS use abroad, both NavFree and Copilot but store maps in the device so a data connection is only needed for installation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Quick test of Acer. This screen is excellent, razor sharp. Maybe more readable than my 10" Asus. Touch is as good.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Have iPad it does have GPS use nav free and have used navfree France this year worked fine like the 10inch screen easy to see

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004

This isn't....

Link Removed

Oi!! wot appened to the Nexus 7.2 you recommended to me??? :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oi!! wot appened to the Nexus 7.2 you recommended to me??? :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully it's better quality.

I just wanted cheap and cheerful to replace my old windows phone satnav.

I've loaded up the Kindle app and I'm amazed how good the screen is for book reading. After a heavy 10" tablet this is quite an eye opener.

Sound is a problem, not a lot of it, I may need an external amplified speaker to use it as a satnav.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Have iPad it does have GPS use nav free and have used navfree France this year worked fine like the 10inch screen easy to see
I think it is the poor cousin that is being referred to, the popular mini ipad that still does not have GPS.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Not wishing to promote my own thread but I gave some feedback on the use of my Nexus 7 with CoPilot LiveBroken Link Removed

Only negative was the problem of battery life. My 12 volt charger was not getting enough into the tablet to maintain enough charge to run the app. On one journey had to turn it off for 30 minutes or so to get some juice in. Had to use a paper map for goodness sake!

Steve

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not wishing to promote my own thread but I gave some feedback on the use of my Nexus 7 with CoPilot LiveBroken Link Removed

Only negative was the problem of battery life. My 12 volt charger was not getting enough into the tablet to maintain enough charge to run the app. On one journey had to turn it off for 30 minutes or so to get some juice in. Had to use a paper map for goodness sake!

Steve

Not thought of that, I have a 2A USB cigarette charger, we'll see if that copes with this unit.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Steve

I had the same problem with charging my Asus so I bought one of these..

Link Removed

And it really does work with Apple stuff too :Blush::Blush:

:thumb:

herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
cracked it ???

having bought a cheap gps tablet (the one for £70 from china on ebay) on getting it, i didnt feel very confident on the feel of it or the maps etc. they were very good and the took it back and gave me a full refund.
I then spoke to tomtom and they now do a start 60 (6 inch screen) for £130 from eurosatnav.co.uk which was sent. i then went to tomtom site and downloaded their europe camping maps camper dimensions with POI's etc for £70 (was 80 but you get a £10 discount) and there you are (i hope) an all singing and dancing camper GPS for £210.
so far it all seems to work fine
remember when you download the maps, do it overnight as it takes an eternity (6 hours in my case!)
I just feel more confident with a tomtom
so far so good

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back