T W Stafford, Sharpe in take of breath! (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Last Sept we purchased a Hymer Grand Canyon S .
Had conflicting advise reguarding damp testing, confirm by TW that all PVC from 2020 do indeed now need a damp test.
Contacted them this morning to book an appointment for damp testIng, wasn't concerned about having a hab test as the only gas appliance was the hob and happy to purchase my own tester.
To be informed that it was only possible to do a damp and hab test together as per manurfactures recommendation, plus all electrics would also be check. No real need as I know all is working and in any case hab batteries and associated electronics have been changed to a lithium system.
Ok i thought why not, however here's the kicker.
Cost of said test £422.08 och !
Is this normal, seams expensive to me?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Had conflicting advise reguarding damp testing, confirm by TW that all PVC from 2020 do indeed now need a damp test.
Contacted them this morning to book an appointment for damp testIng, wasn't concerned about having a hab test as the only gas appliance was the hob and happy to purchase my own tester.
To be informed that it was only possible to do a damp and hab test together as per manurfactures recommendation, plus all electrics would also be check. No real need as I know all is working and in any case hab batteries and associated electronics have been changed to a lithium system.
Welcome to motorhomeing :(
Next question, how long before they can do it?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I can't see any difference between damp testing a car and damp testing a PVC. Why would you bother? The only possible difference is if the PVC has rooflights - easy enough to check for problems yourself. As a disclaimer I have to say I'd never pay for any form of habitation check on anything warranty affected or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can't see any difference between damp testing a car and damp testing a PVC. Why would you bother? The only possible difference is if the PVC has rooflights - easy enough to check for problems yourself. As a disclaimer I have to say I'd never pay for any form of habitation check on anything warranty affected or not.
I suppose it's for some sort of on going warranty.
Edit sorry hadnt read your last line.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
They are having a laugh,someone little knowledge wanders in with a tick list and an A4 sheet of paper, l have no doubt you have more knowledge. Lots of experienced Funsters with MH’s of all values do not bother and it never affects the resale of a MH nor it’s value.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
When we bought a new Hymer there was no mention of a hab check only stipulation was annual damp test.
I would ask at another dealer.

OP
OP

Deleted User
No roof lights, but we do have a poptop.
Poptop, does not leak and basically sits on top of the original roof.
Booking date available was 22 Nov.

Sep 29, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
2016 Hymer, Adria
TW will never be cheap but they are efficient and the reception staff especially Rebecca, helpful. My import Hymer MLI was damp checked only at TW when I asked for just that….

OP
OP

Deleted User
No problems with the reception, staff they were very professional.
Apparently Hymer recommend a hab/damp test is carried out on the first inspection?
Not adverse to spending money on the van, but it does irritate me that I'm paying a dealer/Hymer to check a product that they built and sold is working correctly.
Previously we purchased a new VW California T6 with poptop,no damp test requirements there.

Sep 29, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
2016 Hymer, Adria
Thinking back to 2016 my first check was a damp and hab…so it may be a warranty requirement for the 1st check to be both….

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
They are having a laugh,someone little knowledge wanders in with a tick list and an A4 sheet of paper, l have no doubt you have more knowledge. Lots of experienced Funsters with MH’s of all values do not bother and it never affects the resale of a MH nor it’s value.
On that tick list point the supplying dealer who carried out the hab check insisted on using their own list. I remonstrated with them because there is a specific check sheet for the dealer to complete, attached to the Rapido owner manual. Which they refused to do.

What is the point of that, if the warranty could be avoided on the grounds that the official Rapido check sheet wasn't filled out and signed by the dealer. I decided that the hab check was pointless in that situation so it was the first and only one. £250 and 100 mile round trip wasted.

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
When we took our Hymer motorhome to have its hab and damp test last year, they also said that it had to have an underseal applied for the water ingress warranty - can't remember how much it all cost but it was a lot of £'s 😟

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I had the same issue with TW when I rang to book a first damp check, tried to talk me into full hab check at around same price you were quoted, I insisted only a damp check was required and was told, will check and ring you back, but nobody bothered.
I booked in with Southdowns and was happy with the service and price.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
No but I bet if you don't have it done it voids any other warranty on the van as a whole.
I don't see how they can void warranty on the, engine, gearbox etc as that'll be through the vehicle manufacturer , the conversion maybe but what's to go wrong there , if it's all working at the time of the first inspection is any of it going to cost £422 to fix if it fails in the next year

Will they be like most warranties , X has failed because Y failed , Y sn't covered under the warranty.

No way I'd be giving anyone £422 to check the hab area on a pvc

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I have had two N+B Motorhomes and been back to the factory with both for warranty work because it suited me being in Germany along with the fact they are far more efficient than TW neither time did they make any checks on Hab checks being done, it’s a money making scam.
N+B are part if the Hymer group.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Laika, (Hymer group). Camper UK actually offered me the option of either a full hab. service or just a damp check. Only the latter is required for warranty purposes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back