T rubber profile supplier & water ingress ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
Hi...
Well my bargain Elnagh Sleek isn't turning out to be the great bargain. Where the cab attaches to the main body two vertical alluminium strips have rivetted to the body on both sides. Never thought much of it until I removed a small kitchen utility holder beside the sink. The panelling was absolutely soaking behind it. After ripping the inside out of the cabinet above the sink you could see where the water ingress was coming from, the curve where the cab interface joins the box above the cab. In summary what has been happening the water has been coming in for years, soaked and rotted the interface about two centimeter along the full edge of the interface top to bottom. The alluminium strips where to make the edge more rigid to help seal along the rubber profile edge. The access road to our abode is quite bumpy which has flexed the interface revealing a crack right along the interface. What I intend to do is take the alluminium strips off and use the rivet holes to fill the rotten void (dried first) with expanding foam or similar then fit a new T rubber profile along the full length and seal with Silkaflex 291 glue/sealant.
My questions are... what is the best solution to fill the void along the edge, is Sillkaflex 291 the best option for seaqling the new rubber profile to the interface and finally where can I buy the T profile from. The profile needs to be 5cm wide with ideally a 'D' shape on the top as you look at the edge. Is silicon better ? any thoughts appreciated,
atb Neil

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi .you have woolies trim up near peterborough/corby way .or a place called seals direct .both can be found on google i think.
becarefull with silicon it tends to not contract and expand as good as sikaflex . there are others bostik do one cant remember the name now got it from my son once worked really well. sometimes if there is a boatbuilder near you they have good stuff as well. unfortunately its a shame the manufacturers do such a poor job on these things . you arent alone .
hope you get it fixed . woolies are a good old fashioned really helpfull crowd . reccomend them first usually. but the other crowd get good mentions as well.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Seals Direct give a great service. I wanted to try a few different ones that I had seen on the website. Rang on a Monday morning, Tuesday morning I had the samples and a catalogue, tried the samples out. Phoned Seals Direct again (still Tuesday)and on Wednesday morning I had the correct one, the length I needed, delivered to me. Perfect service. Jane :Smile:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi EA7vpg

My advise would be to always replace rotten timber with good timber as that is the main strength of your motorhome, sikaflex or silicone will offer no rigidity at all and you will only end up with more problems.:cry::cry:

Kind regards

Glenn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi...
Well my bargain Elnagh Sleek isn't turning out to be the great bargain. Where the cab attaches to the main body two vertical alluminium strips have rivetted to the body on both sides. Never thought much of it until I removed a small kitchen utility holder beside the sink. The panelling was absolutely soaking behind it. After ripping the inside out of the cabinet above the sink you could see where the water ingress was coming from, the curve where the cab interface joins the box above the cab. In summary what has been happening the water has been coming in for years, soaked and rotted the interface about two centimeter along the full edge of the interface top to bottom. The alluminium strips where to make the edge more rigid to help seal along the rubber profile edge. The access road to our abode is quite bumpy which has flexed the interface revealing a crack right along the interface. What I intend to do is take the alluminium strips off and use the rivet holes to fill the rotten void (dried first) with expanding foam or similar then fit a new T rubber profile along the full length and seal with Silkaflex 291 glue/sealant.
My questions are... what is the best solution to fill the void along the edge, is Sillkaflex 291 the best option for seaqling the new rubber profile to the interface and finally where can I buy the T profile from. The profile needs to be 5cm wide with ideally a 'D' shape on the top as you look at the edge. Is silicon better ? any thoughts appreciated,
atb Neil
That is 2 ins wide far too big a gap to sikaflex or T rubber --If you mean 5 mm (1/4 ins) then go for both IE stick T rubber in place with Sikaflex :thumb: You may find a local Double glazing co has T rubber :winky:
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Neil n Pat
Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
T section profile supplier

Thanks to all who came back with some valued information.
I looked at all the suggested sites with no success as the width of the T section wasn't great enough. http://www.deltarubber.co.uk/rubber_extrusions.htm had the item I required but only did 30m lengths. They put me on to http://www.coh-baines.co.uk/ who actually supply deltarubber. Very helpful with 5m in the post tomorrow... catalogue page 78 item: IRS111EP .
Looking further at the problem the T section fitted by Elnagh was not wide enough as the gap between the cab and the main unit was far to great regardless of how much Sikaflex you squeezed in. The new T section should overlap quite nicely being 38mm wide. Unfortunately I cannot squeeze any timber into the gap where approx. 30mm has rotted along the full edge. I am proposing to duct tape along the full edge with filler holes every 15cm and try that expanding foam you use when installing windows. Any thoughts or observations on this one most welcome.

atb

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back