Sygic on special offer! (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’ve got it, and copilot. Can’t remember the last time I bothered with copilot as Sygic is soo much better. Also direct link with acsi. So find site, or aire on acsi, press directions and it opens Sygic with destination entered.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have recently tried Sygic as a replacement for CoPilot as got fed up with it trying to save 500 yds by taking you down small roadBut found that Sygic suffers from the same routing issues.

Sygic has good menu structure, nice links to other apps like Park4night etc...? But the map display colours are awful, moving/zooming around the map to check routes is tricky and poi import is awful?. So switched back to CoPilot ?

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have recently tried Sygic as a replacement for CoPilot as got fed up with it trying to save 500 yds by taking you down small roadBut found that Sygic suffers from the same routing issues.

Sygic has good menu structure, nice links to other apps like Park4night etc...? But the map display colours are awful, moving/zooming around the map to check routes is tricky and poi import is awful?. So switched back to CoPilot ?
I agree with your points but I have migrated from years with CoPilot, although it is still on my nav tablet. There are however workarounds the issues you raise, some of which make Sygic the default nav app. I will try to explain.

The poi import issue is diabolical, the rupi format conversion I could live with but the need to download country by country was a stretch too far and the main reason I never used Sygic Truck even though I have had 2 licences for 4-5 years!
But the latest development from them not only resolves this issue it knocks it out of the park. Sygic Truck Route Sender is an add on for Chrome and Firefox browsers and works with Google maps when used inside the browser. So find where you want to go in Google maps, click get directions (needed to activate the sender) then click on the route sender icon and direct to the Sygic account. So you have every POI on the planet and more at your fingertips with no downloading!
As to colours you can select a variety of map styles from standard UK to Euro to many others to suit your optical comfort.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Where do you select the map styles, hunted high and low failed miserably? As purple route on dark green in sunshine does not a good contrast makeo_O

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I agree with your points but I have migrated from years with CoPilot, although it is still on my nav tablet. There are however workarounds the issues you raise, some of which make Sygic the default nav app. I will try to explain.

The poi import issue is diabolical, the rupi format conversion I could live with but the need to download country by country was a stretch too far and the main reason I never used Sygic Truck even though I have had 2 licences for 4-5 years!
But the latest development from them not only resolves this issue it knocks it out of the park. Sygic Truck Route Sender is an add on for Chrome and Firefox browsers and works with Google maps when used inside the browser. So find where you want to go in Google maps, click get directions (needed to activate the sender) then click on the route sender icon and direct to the Sygic account. So you have every POI on the planet and more at your fingertips with no downloading!
As to colours you can select a variety of map styles from standard UK to Euro to many others to suit your optical comfort.
sallylillian , Should have quoted your post (doh). Just wanted to ask how you changed mapstyles in Sygic?

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Sorry have been engrossed in fitting a Tireminder system. Anyway seems I was wrong the map options are in CoPilot under styles, Sygic does not have that option, sorry to have misled you, I did not use the option in CoPilot but remember seeing it and got the 2 mixed up. For me I do not have an issue with the map display in Sygic and never changed the default display in CoPilot either I noticed today when reviewing both for you.
The downer for me and many others on here was CoPilots removal of road profiling which enabled you to set the graduation of use of road types in 5 stages, and apply average speeds to each. This was a good way of forcing easy routes rather than the ones that save 10 metres and cause you to use a narrow road that scratches the van.
I still have both on my nav tablet but use Sygic now all the time for its ease of routing management. It does have a "use main roads" option as well.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
The live traffic on Sygic is second to none.

Travelling a lot for work, I spend far too much time on the M62 and it's got me out of soooooo many road closures.

The app isn't brilliant, it crashes a lot too, but the traffic is amazing.

Unlike Copilot, which I find lags behind by anything up to half an hour or more, by which point your stuck in the tailback with everyone else!

Shame really as I prefer the copilot app itself.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Tried it and it doesn't work, the extension says its been sent but a message pops up on my phone saying route calculation has failed possible due to missing maps, I was only trying to go 50 miles up the road. :frowny:

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry have been engrossed in fitting a Tireminder system. Anyway seems I was wrong the map options are in CoPilot under styles, Sygic does not have that option, sorry to have misled you, I did not use the option in CoPilot but remember seeing it and got the 2 mixed up. For me I do not have an issue with the map display in Sygic and never changed the default display in CoPilot either I noticed today when reviewing both for you.
The downer for me and many others on here was CoPilots removal of road profiling which enabled you to set the graduation of use of road types in 5 stages, and apply average speeds to each. This was a good way of forcing easy routes rather than the ones that save 10 metres and cause you to use a narrow road that scratches the van.
I still have both on my nav tablet but use Sygic now all the time for its ease of routing management. It does have a "use main roads" option as well.
Thanks for the feedback.

I completely agree about copilot removing the road type priority and like that the option is in Sygic. But when I tested them side by side very recently, I found both chose odd routes. I switched back to Copilot as I found it easier to check the route it chooses, zooming /panning is so much easier helps me select a better route. I keep an eye out for alternatives but so far nothing just these 2. :unsure:

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Interesting reading above. I find to see the complete route on Sygic easy. Just zoom out and it’s there. You can see it other ways, but just using your fingers to screen zoom is easiest.
Agree with comments about screen colour, I’ve just been trying to alter this. Normally I find it fine, but it’s not bright enough when driving/using it when wearing sunglasses.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Interesting reading above. I find to see the complete route on Sygic easy. Just zoom out and it’s there. You can see it other ways, but just using your fingers to screen zoom is easiest.
Agree with comments about screen colour, I’ve just been trying to alter this. Normally I find it fine, but it’s not bright enough when driving/using it when wearing sunglasses.
My issue with the zooming panning is that Sygic zooms into the centre of the screen regardless of where you touch the screen, whereas Copilot zooms where you are touching the screen just find it more intuitive. This sounds trivial but have learnt it is essential to check the route carefully and find this easier with Copilot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back