Jul 8, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi,
I have seen some trailers in France with two ball hitches, effectively a non articulated trailer. These must be easier to reverse (not that I have a problem with reversing) and are shorter than a trailer with the A bit at the front. i think some have swivel wheels which turn around when being reversed.
Has anyone come across anything like this in the UK?
Are they legal?
where can I get one?
How much do they cost?
Thanks in anticipation

Ian

OP
OP
Betsy Lamb

Betsy Lamb

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
OK, searched for easy lifter. I recognise that I am dim-witted but I can't find one with wheels. I want something which bears its own weight as i don't want extra load on the rear axle.

OP
OP
Betsy Lamb

Betsy Lamb

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
found some with wheels (told you i was a dunce!)
Are they any good?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The biggest failing with a lot of them (IMHO) is that they don't incorporate any suspension into the design. There are a few notable exceptions, mostly French but they do command a premium.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Look for Easy Lifter Hydra Trail. Cost about £1200, occasionally come up for sale on here for £600 - £1000.
The French ones are about £3, but have suspension.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The biggest failing with a lot of them (IMHO) is that they don't incorporate any suspension into the design. There are a few notable exceptions, mostly French but they do command a premium.
The Hydra Trail has a form of suspension.

The pantograph, connecting the trailer to the vehicle, moves in the vertical allowing the trailer to ride over bumps. This smooths out the ride much more than rubber suspension does.

Last year we did over 2500 miles towing ours.

It is expensive compared to standard A frame trailers but It makes reversing as simple as if no trailer was present.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
(not that I have a problem with reversing)

Really? You must be one in a million :D. I haven't found anyone who can reverse a short, invisible, trailer with any success. I regard unhitching as failure so I can reverse. However I'd prefer no one's watching unless they have a sense of humour.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Make that two in a million :whistle: All that's needed is a reversing camera and then it is straightforward.

Tell that to the crack in the rear valance!. And that from a guy who was a dab hand with 45ft and 18wheels!. It`s easier to reverse a 32ft R-V towing a 15ft Bed trailer!.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Seen some of these trailers now without swivel wheels as well.

Can anybody that has used one say what they were like to reverse (either type) ?

I notice on the French (YO Remorques) that they have a rigid bar that needs installing when you reverse, seems a right faff if you have to do that for each manoeuvre.... as it says you have to remove it for normal driving.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
YO Remorques are a well designed piece of kit and easy to load and you only need to fit a bar to make the Trailer rigid which simplifys reversing,not cheap but you get what you pay for, I’ve attached a link but they also do one that loads differently if you check out their website.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Don't mess around with trailers/easylifters/swivels/etc

IMG_1153.JPG

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Like this:

And this was my concern, steering such a small trailer that you can't see that is articulated:( i'd total that in about 5mins.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
And those that have swivel wheels like the Yo Remorques have a fixing bar that you need to remove/add each manoeuvre(n) and as far as i can tell they are also articulated otherwise.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
And those that have swivel wheels like the Yo Remorques have a fixing bar that you need to remove/add each manoeuvre(n) and as far as i can tell they are also articulated otherwise.
The Hydratrail has swivel wheels and does not require a stabiliser bar to reverse. They do need a very strong motorhome chassis though due to the twisting forces exerted.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The Hydratrail has swivel wheels and does not require a stabiliser bar to reverse. They do need a very strong motorhome chassis though due to the twisting forces exerted.

Yes i notice on their website the attachment onto the single tow bracket is more of an arm which i assume doesn't allow for any articulation and hence easier reversing.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Use a reversing camera and it's just like any other trailer - just need to be careful with corrections when you're reversing.

No way i'd manage with one set up like that, not unless my drive was about 1km wide

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Use a reversing camera and it's just like any other trailer - just need to be careful with corrections when you're reversing.
Some can reverse a car on an A frame..... Or so they say.
The distance from the wheels to towball, the moment arm, is too short and the vans overhang is too long to be unsensitive to the slightest movement.
Yes, it could be reversed as in the video.... But I could have unhitched and pushed the trailer far quicker AND SAFER.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
So it's a regular trailer, just side loading. (y)

Impossible to see, impossible to reverse.

What’s to see! How many Motorhomes do not have a reversing camera and this includes Vans and Trucks the driver knows how long the vehicle is and uses his mirrors accordingly and his knowledge of the vehicles length, if you can’t see the type of Trailer we are discussing here you add the 1metre or whatever in your calculation of the vehicles length.

I realise there are confident and non confident drivers along with varying ability but drivers with shortcomings are basically defending their lack of ability and confidence to actually meet what should be the norm.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think four years driving recovery spec frames of all sizes recovering, and reversing, everything from Aixims to large motorhomes qualifies me to decide what's easy and what isn't.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I have a HydraTrail and think it's brilliant. It uses the motor home tow bar, but the normal towball is removed and a bracket with a square home running it's depth is bolted on, using the original towball bolts in it's place.
The bit of the HydraTrail that attaches to the bracket is also square and slides downwards into the bracket. The HydraTrail does not articulate. The two rear wheels are on swivels. When reversing, the wheels rotate after a short distance and you can reverse as if it is not there. If you can reverse a motor home, then you can reverse a motor home with a HydraTrail. That is the main advantage of them.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I think four years driving recovery spec frames of all sizes recovering, and reversing, everything from Aixims to large motorhomes qualifies me to decide what's easy and what isn't.

And yet if you can’t see the back of it you can’t reverse it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back