Swivel seat security (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2018
Peak District, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
Newbie, stayed on a few
Been watching this thread for a while and decided on the patriot which seems like a good solution for my van. Having drilled a 14 mm hole it's still a tad too small. Any suggestions as best way to widen, e.g. a reamer bit, hand file or buy a 15 mm bit ? TDA.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
If anyone has been sitting on the fence put off by the £50+ cost of the Oxford Patriot Disc Locks they are on offer today at Sports Bike Shop for £38.61 delivered, not sure if its a Black Friday one day deal I have just ordered one it’s a cracking price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Hi Stewart, (are you doing any of the rally’s in 2021?), I’ve got one on ours, PERFECTION, it’s just that I paid premium price for it, but no regrets, GO FOR IT!!!

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
If anyone has been sitting on the fence put off by the £50+ cost of the Oxford Patriot Disc Locks they are on offer today at Sports Bike Shop for £38.61 delivered, not sure if its a Black Friday one day deal I have just ordered one it’s a cracking price.

Just ordered, many thanks (y)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Have a look here,

He had obviously seen it on this MotorhomeFun thread as we were already fitting the Patriot lock to our swivel seat nearly a year before he uploaded it to YouTube. :giggle:

Pity he did not take note about fitting the 6mm washer rather than faffing about with the lock mounting bracket. :doh: :giggle:

Jun 7, 2020
Poole
Funster No
MH
Adria coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2019
On my Ducati swivel seat there is already a loop to enable you to put a padlock through. You have to look underneath but its standard. No need to drill seat base. i just put a heavy duty longer shank padlock through to lock it backwards. Takes two minutes.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
On my Ducati swivel seat there is already a loop to enable you to put a padlock through. You have to look underneath but its standard. No need to drill seat base. i just put a heavy duty longer shank padlock through to lock it backwards. Takes two minutes.

About the same amount of time to remove it with and angle grinder.

Leisure man

Free Member
Feb 19, 2018
Funster No
Hi I have fitted my disklok to my van and my friend said why don’t I turn my swivel seat around and drill a hole in the runner and padlock it in the turned around position so they won’t be able to sit and drive if they go to steal
It has anybody done this
Cheapest fix, drill hole through seat base the size of a 6 inch nail shaft where only you know where it is. Cut off nail head with 1 inch shaft remaining, spray nail head to match seat base. Drop through hole. Job done.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Cheapest fix, drill hole through seat base the size of a 6 inch nail shaft where only you know where it is. Cut off nail head with 1 inch shaft remaining, spray nail head to match seat base. Drop through hole. Job done.
Could do that as an additional, imagine how upset they're going to be after going to all the trouble of removing the disc lock and it still won't turn 😁👍

I fitted our disc lock a bit further round than in the video so the seat is more comfortable to use, ie your legs point down onto the floor rather than onto the bench seat 👌

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Another fan of the Patriot lock. I took advantage earlier in the year of the warning stickers that a fellow funster had printed, and these are on the side windows. Great as a warning to ‘would be’ thief’s as I keep the blinds closed when parked up at home.

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
I've been securing my various motorhomes, by locking the seats back to front for about 15 years. Couple that with parking with the steering on full lock and a steering lock wedged so the wheel can't be moved and you foil attempts to winch it easily onto a low loader. I also drilled and pin the handbrake in the on position, again with a padlock. It stretches the cable a bit, but we drive it around every couple of weeks during the winter and the cable gets adjusted at the annual service.

Deleted User
About the same amount of time to remove it with and angle grinder.
But you could say that about any type of security you decide to put on your MH. Surely its preferable to having no security whatsoever.

Reactions: TR5
Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Hi anothet fan of oxford patriot just make sure you get the right Two different lengths of 14m/m pins

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
Thing is the thief has to have an angle grinder in his/her kit and a means of powering it, unless it's battery operated. The noise would wake us anyway.

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Hi I will have to start checking my spelling before I send answer that should have said another also missed Length out:rolleyes:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
But you could say that about any type of security you decide to put on your MH. Surely its preferable to having no security whatsoever.

If the security fitted is not much of deterrent, then what's the use of wasting your time fitting it ?
Fit something or multiple security devices to tax the mind of the would-be thieve or that will put them off in the first place.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thing is the thief has to have an angle grinder in his/her kit and a means of powering it, unless it's battery operated. The noise would wake us anyway.

The number of times that people have had cars and motorhomes stolen that say they never heard the alarm go off, so an angle grinder in a cab with a closed door is not even going to be as loud as an alarm going off or the alarm noise is going to cover up the noise of the angle grinder.
As an example, a couple of weeks ago, the alarm was going off in the caravan two doors down at 11.30 pm. I wandered down and banged on his door to let him know and got no response. I tried ringing him, no response. After 20 minutes the alarm stopped and reset. In the morning he rang me and said he never heard the alarm and his bedroom is 5 meters away from his caravan. Turns out the mice had got in as the alarm went off again the following afternoon.

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
As I stated in a previous post, we have two alarms, one which is the Thatcham standard fitted by the dealer and another completely independent and concealed that triggers ,with either movement or intrusion and rings my mobile, so if I'm in bed with the mobile next to me, I will hear it. It has a £40 24GB data SIM with a lifetime of two years, so very inexpensive. I sleep very lightly and the slightest noise awakens me. In our rural village its dead quiet by 10 pm and we can hear owls, cats mating, and other nighttime sounds. If an alarm goes off, our neighbours hear and call whoever it belongs to, if it doesn't get silenced quickly. A bit old world here just outside Whitby, but very secure.

possar

Free Member
Feb 8, 2016
gateshead
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
30 year
i have a burstner t660 and all i do is swing the 2 seats to face each the bars under the seat that moves the seat back and forth they practically touch each other then i put a yale lock over the bars then lock them together

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back