Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Welcome to the Patriot club Phil.

Maybe it's time to get some club "T" shirts and key ring made. :rofl:

If I carry on eating as I currently am (it's almost like it's Christmas :unsure:) there won't be a 'T' shirt large enough for me.:rolleyes:

Hope you two (on tour) are keeping well. I may be back at Angouleme this year as almost everything else has been cancelled or postponed.

ps - the Patriot will be used as you have used it but it can also double as a disc lock for my bike. How cool is that two uses for the price of one(y)

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I am very interested in this Patriot club but I am wondering whether anyone has fitted this device in their van when there are batteries fitted under the drivers seat (this is the case in my Globecar PVC). I just popped out to the van and the gap between the base plate and the top of the battery is only about 2 or 3 cm so I don't think there is sufficient room to push the pin up through the 14mm hole. At the moment I am using the swivelled seat option with a hefty motorbike chain and lock but this Patriot looks easier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
High Tensile chain and container high tensile padlock.
20181130_125349.jpg

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I am very interested in this Patriot club but I am wondering whether anyone has fitted this device in their van when there are batteries fitted under the drivers seat (this is the case in my Globecar PVC). I just popped out to the van and the gap between the base plate and the top of the battery is only about 2 or 3 cm so I don't think there is sufficient room to push the pin up through the 14mm hole. At the moment I am using the swivelled seat option with a hefty motorbike chain and lock but this Patriot looks easier.
Won't work for you then, you need a standard brake disc lock, something like this..

You'll have to make sure the slot is wide enough mind.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Patriot disc lock looking at buying one, cheapest I have found is £38.61 delivered (EBay) anyone found them cheaper or have a discount code 👍

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
Hi I have fitted my disklok to my van and my friend said why don’t I turn my swivel seat around and drill a hole in the runner and padlock it in the turned around position so they won’t be able to sit and drive if they go to steal
It has anybody done this
Yes we have but we used a big U bike lock. Fits neatly through under the seat from the front drop down and comes out through the vent at the back of the seat. Fairly easy to fit, little bit fiddly to put the bar back on but holds the seat firmly in place and almost invisible unless you look closely. Was recommended on this forum

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
The patriot is an extremely easy to use device, the first i add of the 4 yellows i use. The milenco wheel clamp is the most difficult to use.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
[QUOTE="Fraggle 22, post: 3942838, member: 63502"
Fairly easy to fit, little bit fiddly to put the bar back on but holds the seat firmly in place and almost invisible unless you look closely. Was recommended on this forum
[/QUOTE]
I thought one idea of a " yellow " was to be seen to persuade scroate to move on . With the position ive used movement is alowed such that it can be used as is on site. Twoon tour has also showed there to be no acess to an angle grinder. Biggest but, if you are happy thats all that matters, you could keep on spending £40 here £ 200 there, but use it.
A hidden measure is not a bad idea as long its not the only one. My hidden pigmies with poisoned blowdarts have the disadvantage of needing to be fed.

Last edited:

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
I looked at the practicalities of your statement of removing the Patriot security lock with a cordless grinder and I feel that at least in the way I have fitted mine that the removal with a cordless grinder are unfounded.

I own a Dewalt cordless grinder, the choice of most would-be thief's so offered up my grinder in many positions to try and get to the rear of the Patriot security lock to cut through the seat base plate as you suggest can be done and as you can see from the photos that this is not possible. So although you could cut up the sides of the lock, I'm happy that the rear can not be accessed.

View attachment 370446

View attachment 370447

View attachment 370448

View attachment 370450

View attachment 370451

View attachment 370452
Can I ask how much this lock weighs? And may it be easier for a thief to just use the angle grinder on the body of the lock? TIA

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
I take it that you have not tried cutting though plastic with a angle grinder ?

View attachment 404543
Thanks, I haven't. Just wondered if attacking the body of the lock may be an easier target and more effective than going for the hardened pin.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I take it that you have not tried cutting though plastic with a angle grinder ?

Thanks, I haven't. Just wondered if attacking the body of the lock may be an easier target and more effective than going for the hardened pin.

Sorry, my previous post sounded a bit sarcy upon reading it again.

When trying to cut through softer plastics the cutting edge of the disc becomes clogged to a certain degree and also tries to grip the disc which in turn saps some of the angle grinders power which in turn drains the battery quicker and along with what I would imagine is a hardened steel body of the Patriot lock I would think it would make life more than a little difficult for a would be thief.
I my case I have the Patriot lock, a Clutch Claw and a StopLock Pro on the steering wheel, so potential thief with an angle grinder had better come armed with at least half a dozen cutting disc blades and a few spare batteries if they plan to cut those three off.

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
Two on Tour - makes sense, cheers. Also, generally I thought the heavier the lock the better as in heavy duty.

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
Cheers all especially Two on Tour for the idea and all the info regarding washers etc all done now (y) like another on here my drill must of been a tad on the smaller side because I had to drill it out a tad to allow the pin to go through and again like another my leisure battery sits under the drivers seat so needed to be mindful of that when drilling although plenty of room if the drill fell through. Thanks again rgds CJ
Patriot lock.jpg

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the idea. I just found this in a workshop drawer. Perfect for the seat fixing job and small enough to hide under the seat rubber. Cheap too! :smiley:
John

20200711_161512[1].jpg

20200711_161524[1].jpg

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
😂 I think they'd knock that off with a hammer 🔨🤣
Sorry 😐 I suppose it's better than nothing 👍

Stainless steel, bolted through with 5mm bolts? I don't think so, and it will be useful if I forget to set the Strikeback alarm.
Still, what would a precision engineer like me know about the strength of materials ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back