Switzerland Ski & SPA March 2017? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

We are considering taking our motorhome to Switzerland for the first time to Ski. Having found France and Norway to be the most motorhome friendly and Austria the least. We are a little concerned.

Our current motorhome is a lot older than our previous RWD V6 Sprinters, now running a 17 Year Old FWD Fiat Ducato with Michelin Alpin Winters.

Any Suggestions?
Is March Too late?
I know nothing about the geography or layout of ski areas or campsites.
Should we consider going by Car Instead?

My Daughter is coming with us, she is a SPA resort manager and likes to try and test other venues!

Any suggestions welcome?......

TM

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Motorhomeski.com is a good resource for info.
I would be tempted to recommend France as being a better first time destination. The snow should still be OK in March at most resorts. It has been late for the last few years in any case. December is fast becoming the worst time to go!

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
I agree with Jon and Shell. On all counts. We have been to one or two places in Switzerland with Aires but it's far more MH friendly in France generally and cheaper (though will cost more next season due to the sterling situation).

We plan to wait till March this year after last year's early season disappointments.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Hi TeeMyob

we spent a Christmas at Camping Jungfrau in Lauterbrunnen, it's a very nice site indeed (but of course not cheap - it is Switzerland after all) and in a good location. The site runs a free shuttle bus to the village and station from where you have the funiculars and trains to 3 resorts - Wengen, Murren and Grindlewald. If its a campsite in Switzerland you want it's a good choice.

Ruth

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
You can access Zermatt by staying at a site in Randa but we ruled it out on the basis of cost, Zermatt is expensive anyway but on top of that you'd have site costs, taxi transport to the station at Tausch (the site organises but charges for it) and then the train up to Zermatt.

http://www.camping-randa.ch/

We have stayed at Aires in Sass Fee and in Grimentz.

And at a small site in Kandersteg

http://www.camping-kandersteg.ch

Here are a few links, don't know how up to date they are but might give you a lead for searching

www.myswitzerland.com

www.jungfrau.ch

http://www.kandersteg.ch

www.saas-fee.ch

www.grimentz.ch

As I said before, we didn't find Switzerland the most van-friendly ski destination but it is different and very pretty, worth a try once. If wild camping some of the smaller resorts are okay but don't even think of Verbier you are not welcome. I think you'd get away with 24 hours at a lower station but that's it. After that there are winter campsites at several other places but we didn't go further so can't advise

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I'm surprised you feel Austria is not MH friendly. I find it perfect for MH skiing and some of the sites with adjacent spas are wonderful.
Switzerland is out priced for me now.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
I'm surprised you feel Austria is not MH friendly. I find it perfect for MH skiing and some of the sites with adjacent spas are wonderful.

He can speak for himself but maybe he is referring to a few things that make Austria not MH friendly for ourselves too - the lack of Aires, lack of tolerance of overnighting and the Go Box for larger vehicles.

Shame because the skiing is good and the skiing and living costs not OTT

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
IMG_8068.JPG
We were shouted at in the street and had this shoved in our hand through the motorhome window.....

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure if this is of interest but I've just had an email from the Swiss Tourist Board linking me to this page here: Link Removed

Might be worth looking into perhaps?

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes

He can speak for himself but maybe he is referring to a few things that make Austria not MH friendly for ourselves too - the lack of Aires, lack of tolerance of overnighting and the Go Box for larger vehicles.

Shame because the skiing is good and the skiing and living costs not OTT

I think it depends what you want. France is great for Aires, with limited facilities, whereas as Austria, very few Aires, and overnight stops, but oh my the campsite facilities are amazing, including spa facilities, ski drying and excellent public transport. There is a large stop over just outside Innsbruck which allows stop overs, as well as at Hall. We have a GoBox for occasional use, but in all honesty the non motorway routes are pretty good, and certainly places like St Anton, Soldern, Mayhofen etc are all easily accessed without the Go Box/Toll. BTW Solden does also have overnight parking.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I could find no overnight parking in solden.

We stayed in otzal valley but you have to be quick for early morning parking
When we stayed last year there were 3 very large NB Flairs in the carpark for at least 4 nights just down from the campsite (same side of the road near the gondola lift)

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Well, we found a Motorhome aire, in a chocolate box village, walk to ski lift, £16 a night, inc Water, 15amp EHU (unmetered), fresh water, waster water and toilet disposal.

Wonderfull views too!
Yes do tell us! Not Grimentz? Sounds lovely wherever it is

Phil.S

Free Member
Feb 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My first ever skiing holiday was there 40 plus years ago, we’re heading to Livigno in March via a few resorts and was hoping to have a couple of days there en route..... I’ll chance it and keep you posted

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back