Jan 24, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Since 1998
Hello.

We're currently in Italy and are planning on taking a route to France through Switzerland. Has anybody travelled into Switzerland recently and can tell me are they really as strict on the border as some stories I've been reading.

Apparently they can search your van and try and fine you wherever they can. I've read you can only take enough food for 1 day which means we'd need to empty the contents of all the cupboards and re stock in probably the most expensive country in Europe.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Don't know if it's relevant to you but you can't enter Switzerland if you left the UK within the last 10 days. (Or any other country on their 'variant of concern list)
I've been to Switzerland a lot by car but never in the motorhome and not in the last 18 months sadly. They do search local vehicles as people shop over the border trying to avoid Swiss tax but I don't think that will apply to you as a visitor. The border guards are really tax collectors, they will insist on you buying a motorway vignette (around 40chfs).

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Incidentally, there is not really a huge difference in prices between Swiss and French supermarkets for everyday items. Just avoid shopping in alpine villages and ski resorts 😉

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
It's about 4 years ago, but we bought our Swiss vignette at a German motorway service station, about 20 miles from the Swiss border. When we got to the border crossing post, the place was deserted and we just sailed through.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As above, buy your vignette at a petrol station if you are not on an autoroute. On the autoroute, you can buy it at the border.
Don’t do as I did, and rest it on the dashboard while hubby drives off. I do have the solution for retrieving it from down the gap between windscreen and dashboard should that be necessary! :whistle2:

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
If you buy it at the border they watch to make sure you stick it to the inside of the windscreen, presumably to ensure you don't pass/ sell it on to someone else when your leaving 🤨

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
If you buy it at the border they watch to make sure you stick it to the inside of the windscreen, presumably to ensure you don't pass/ sell it on to someone else when your leaving 🤨
My understanding is that you MUST stick the vignette to your windscreen for exactly that reason. The co-pilot is very anti-sticker but had to concede that one as she did the GTU sticker in Aaschen. Once stuck on, I would defy anyone to get the vignette off in one re-usable piece . . . .

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My understanding is that you MUST stick the vignette to your windscreen for exactly that reason. The co-pilot is very anti-sticker but had to concede that one as she did the GTU sticker in Aaschen. Once stuck on, I would defy anyone to get the vignette off in one re-usable piece . . . .

😇😉

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Slovenia is the same. Got told off there for not having the sticker adhered to my windscreen. The police then stood there and watch me stick it on before proceeding.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
When we crossed at Basil last summer the guy stuck it on the windscreen for me.
I thought if he does it, it will be in the right place.
The Swiss police will pull you over and fine you on the spot if it’s not in the right place, they will then take your van apart just to make a point.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
When we crossed at Basil last summer the guy stuck it on the windscreen for me.
I thought if he does it, it will be in the right place.
The Swiss police will pull you over and fine you on the spot if it’s not in the right place, they will then take your van apart just to make a point.
BUT they always put it on the screen wonky. My OCD goes ballistic, knowing it has to stay wonky and can’t be corrected. Also they have a big grin when they give you your change as Swiss francs.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Any there any food restrictions going from France into Switzerland? We are planning a weeks supply in the morning before passing through Basel later in the day. Also is there a customs point just before on the E25 so we can buy our vignette?

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Any there any food restrictions going from France into Switzerland? We are planning a weeks supply in the morning before passing through Basel later in the day. Also is there a customs point just before on the E25 so we can buy our vignette?
Not sure you need a customs point unless you are going straight on to a motorway. Some garages and shops also sell vignettes.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
There is indeed a Douane post on the E25 where the friendly Swiss man will be delighted to sell you a vignette 🙂.
Photo from Google:-
Screenshot_2023-05-02-16-23-52-36_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

Deleted User
Anyone with any experience of searching fridges and cupboards for contraband food??

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012

alternatively, you can pick up a vignette from an ADAC ( Like the AA) shop in Germany if you are passing through.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Been in and out of Switzerland a few times in the last few weeks, no issues just drive through slowly, not been stopped at all.

That’s not to say we won’t be stopped next time though.

FWIW

Food in the fridge is a “mistake”

Food well hidden away is deliberate.

Bought a vignette at a shop just into Switzerland that had a roadside poster- was like buying and expensive stamp from a post office.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Went through trouble free today. Bought Vignette from border person, no further checks, however they were all over a caravan that was a little ahead of us.

Deleted User
If you buy the passage through the Via Swiss app, how does the border guard know you have paid? Is it linked to anpr at the border? Or are you stopped and have to produce the app?

If anyone knows, please could they update here?

(ps over 3.5 t gvw)

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Have a look at my post #18, the ADAC explains it quite nicely. Over 3.5 it look like you get a sticker or paper to be produced when asked.

Mar 30, 2022
Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A white and grey one
Exp
Tugging since I could drive, now joining the dark side 😁😉
If you buy the passage through the Via Swiss app, how does the border guard know you have paid? Is it linked to anpr at the border? Or are you stopped and have to produce the app?

If anyone knows, please could they update here?

(ps over 3.5 t gvw)
We're over 3.5t, bought a "any 10 days in a year" pass before leaving the UK using the VIA app, validated it for entry on the 13th April and exit on the 14th, went into Switzerland via the A35 near Basel. Straight through, no problems, didn't even stop or get stopped. I'm assuming they use ANPR.
We'll be going back through on the way home in the next week or so, might even stop for a few nights, who knows 🤷‍♂️

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
There is indeed a Douane post on the E25 where the friendly Swiss man will be delighted to sell you a vignette 🙂.
Photo from Google:-
View attachment 746598
That looks like where we got our one.
I pulled up and only the one chap there, went in and he gave me this sticker and said thanks.
Drove around for a week then went out through to France.
Think it’s the wrong one as we are 7.5t, did take the V5 in to him🤔🤔
1683147796140.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back