Swipe card security..... (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just getting into using my swipe on my debit card. Great for all manor of uses. Replaces my Oyster card and use it for all sorts of small purchases. Now on the radio last night they gave a couple of negatives on having one of these cards.
The card transaction don't always have time to check if funds are available when using the card so you could become overdrawn without knowing it.
They also said that if you loose your card even if you cancel it, your card swipe will remain active for some time should someone find it or steel it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I guess you mean contactless? If so, yes, the system has one huge weakness. If you lose your card someone can use it in theory until the card expires. The issuing bank cannot stop this happening as the transaction is completed off line. There is no check on your account before the money is debited as your bank isn't contacted until after the transaction is completed.
If you do lose your card you will have to check your bank statements carefully. Banks will reimburse you but only if you tell them of a fraudulent transaction.
The only safeguard is the system will from time to time ask for a pin number.
There has also been concern the card details can be scanned remotely while they are in your walled - but you can now get wallets which prevent this - looked for one with a label saying "RFiD Protected" which should prevent this.

I use mine all the time and my phone does the same trick. :)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I guess you mean contactless? If so, yes, the system has one huge weakness. If you lose your card someone can use it in theory until the card expires. The issuing bank cannot stop this happening as the transaction is completed off line. There is no check on your account before the money is debited as your bank isn't contacted until after the transaction is completed.
If you do lose your card you will have to check your bank statements carefully. Banks will reimburse you but only if you tell them of a fraudulent transaction.
The only safeguard is the system will from time to time ask for a pin number.
There has also been worry the card details can be scanned remotely whole they are in your walled but you can now get wallets which prevent this - looked for one with a label saying "RFiD Protected".

I use mine all the time and my phone does the same trick. :)
Thanks DBK yes contactless is the process in question, I guess awareness is the name of the game and yes I also have mine in a sleeve. (y)
I think any new users really need to make themselves aware of these contactless card anomalies...(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Thanks DBK yes contactless is the process in question, I guess awareness is the name of the game and yes I also have mine in a sleeve. (y)
I think any new users really need to make themselves aware of these contactless card anomalies...(y)

I noticed whilst touring around the Netherlands a few weeks ago that there has been a really huge move towards "tap and pay" there in the past couple of years. There are now such payment terminals in thousands of shops/fuel stations/snack bars/supermarkets etc....customers use either their credit/debit card that's got contactless pay chip built in, or more and more seem to be using their mobile phone (which will have been loaded with a contactless pay app from their bank).
Haven't noticed much of this in Belgium France Spain Portugal yet ( a few places have it in France), but it is MASSIVE now in the Netherlands.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back