Swift Kontiki Habitation Door. (1 Viewer)

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
I have a 2012 Swift Kontiki 679. The habitation door although well made, has no latch or other device to keep it open? A few times the wind has caught it and slammed it shut, which is quite dangerous. Am I missing something? Surely for safety sake the door should have some kind of device to keep it open? Or do I have to invest in a bungee cord attached to the wing mirror? (It would make a nice washing line :))

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
I find that very odd that it doesn't have anything. Our Swift Lifestyle has a stay at the top that locks when you open the door fully.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
I find that very odd that it doesn't have anything. Our Swift Lifestyle has a stay at the top that locks when you open the door fully.

When the door is opened you can detect the faintest of click as the door hinges find the "indentation", but it does not lock in any way to prevent it closing if there is a sudden gust of strong wind. I guess I'll have to resort to the bungee cord in inclement weather. Or I could just "Shut that door" as Larry Grayson would have said!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Seems
IMG_20150701_124532833.jpg
strange nothing at all. I have a much older model of the kontiki it does have a little plastic but not much good in a strong wind so I use a bungee down to the locker which works quite well.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We had a similar problem with a Swift (Bessy) - which also doesn't have a flush-fitting door. There was an aluminium 'arm' at the top of the door which was worse than useless, any gust of wind and it dis-engaged, and in the end we took it off.
We found that though the slamming shut was a problem, the slamming OPEN when caught by a (small) gust ended up with a little dimple in the door where it hit against a rivet on the body.
Taking the arm off actually gave us more options as we could open the door much wider to fit a catch. After discussion with the dealer about what was available, they fitted this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viva-Door...528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35dd973b40
- the spring stops the door slamming into the body if blown open. It restricts opening one of the windows but it's a trade-off we're happy with so far.
It hasn't yet been 'field tested' in winds blowing from the front of the van .....

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi we have a swift Voyager that is fitted with the top stay,we had the wind push the door back and it hit the fiberglass covers
around bottom of van and put a small crease in the door I can put a sticker over it but would sooner do a better job of the stay
if any one has any suggestions. so depending on your van a stay may not solve the problem.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
How did it push the door back if it has a stay at the top?

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
The 679 door doesn't open right back against the body. However has a sort of friction latch/detent in the open position. We too have a slam in windy conditions. Go for the bungee works a treat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have a Swift Sundance 630L and the door stay fitted to the top of the door is useless. My Dutch friend has one of these fitted to his MH and I have arranged to have mine fitted when I get back to the UK :

Broken Link Removed

You can get plastic ones as well in white or black.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back