Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
thinking of swapping our RV to a swift kontiki 669 never had a British van before any thing to look for thanks Eddie

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are thousands of happy Kon Tiki owners :Smile:

There are a few basics to check

1. Damp
Do not buy a damp Motorhome, it will literally rot away. Use your nose, does it smell of damp. Study the roof lining and look for visible stains and water marks. Pay particular attention around the roof vent openings and where walls meet ceiling and where walls meet walls. Look for rust showing on any nails or screws or staples Look inside the overhead cabinets and check the ceiling. Mildew stains may show up as black spots on ceilings and walls. Check the exterior and see if there is opportunity for water ingress, look at all vents and roof fittings carefully see that all the seals are secure.

2. Delamination
Most MH construction involves the outer layer being glued on, if this glue fails, the strength of the motorhome is seriously degraded. The clue is "bubbles" in the bodywork, they will be easily pushed in with the palm of your hand. Look along it and see if you can see any delamination. If so this can mean expensive repairs. In some MHs the floors are constructed the same way as the walls so bubbles in the floor are also delamination.

3. Age of the tyres
Check the age as well as the wear. Look for very small cracks on the side walls and use the code to determine the age.

4. Check the seller owns the vehicle.
Don't buy unless you are 100% sure that the seller owns the vehicle, check all the documents, check finance details etc.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Talking about damp. We noticed a small shiny portion of floor covering in the toilet last March. We didnt think too much of it. There was no bubbling, no staining, no smell, nothing.

It stayed this way until October 2008 and very gradually the shiny area started to extend. Again no staining or any other symtoms that would have indicated damp to me.

I became a bit concerned last Saturday and so I took away a portion of the floor covering. "DAMP".

The affected area runs from the bathroom and out into the kitchen. It stops short of running under any work surfaces, cupboards etc. Just by taking away the floor covering and putting a heater in it is drying out and I think that I have rescued all but a small amount of floor. The really bad pieces being two ares in the bathroom which will need repairing.

So look out for shiny areas on floor coverings (Lino).

Cheers Jim :Smile:

Edit: This is not a Swift Van but a Gulfstream Ultra however the same thing may occur and its woth looking for.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2008
aldridge
Funster No
MH
waiting
Exp
8yrs
Bought the Kon-tiki 669 (Fiat Automatiic) brand new last July, aint had any big problems
as yet & I've got to say it's the first Motorhome that I aint had to take back to the dealers to have things fixed.

It's the best & most spacious Motorhome I've had so far.

Mine only sleeps 5 but the new ones sleep 6 as the lounge bed is now a double & not a single.

My first Motorhome was the Eura Mobil 770 HS (coachbuilt) which was 7 berth and also had seating for 12 people,they also made it in an A-Class which would be more suitable.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thinking of swapping our RV to a swift kontiki 669 never had a British van before any thing to look for thanks Eddie

as previously mentioned DAMP.. otherwise known as Leaky Kontikies

Compared to your RV I think you will be disappointed in the general build and construction, .. also think of payload .. or lack of it ..

If I were downsizing I would look at German marques rather than British, .... without a Fiat badge..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sersol

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
"If I were downsizing I would look at German marques rather than British, .... without a Fiat badge.."

Oi, there's nowt wrong with the Fiat side of the motorhome (after all they don't do starship miles) its the Bristish side I would worry about :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:.

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
as previously mentioned DAMP.. otherwise known as Leaky Kontikies

Compared to your RV I think you will be disappointed in the general build and construction, .. also think of payload .. or lack of it ..

If I were downsizing I would look at German marques rather than British, .... without a Fiat badge..

the main reason I'm looking to swap my yank is its 9 months old only been on one trip to scotland with it every other time we went a way it was always a call to the dealer with more problems had 5 European vans and 1 yank thought might as well try a UK van not new but one that's a few months old and hopefully any little job sorted so that i can use the van like it should be used

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
the main reason I'm looking to swap my yank is its 9 months old only been on one trip to scotland with it every other time we went a way it was always a call to the dealer with more problems had 5 European vans and 1 yank thought might as well try a UK van not new but one that's a few months old and hopefully any little job sorted so that i can use the van like it should be used

Sorry to hear about the troubles, there are good and bad RVs just as there are good and bad British and European vans.. if it's a lemon best get rid of it...
In saying that, German marques are renowned for build quality. If I had the cash my choice would a Large German A class on a MAN or Volvo chassis..
Good luck with your search, I hope you find something to suite ..

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back