Free Member
Jan 4, 2015
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
since 2008
Hi All, just joined this site. Been touring for a few years and have now upgraded to a MH
I have a kontiki 669 with a couple of issues, the first is the waste tank sensor reading full all the time. Is this an easy part to fix, also looks like the air con unit thermostat is also playing up as the temp will not increase just remains a cool, but not cold. again has anyone got any advise in changing the thermostat. Also can any one explain the cabling set up for the roof Satellite system as we can get the TV's to tune in
Many thanks

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I think most tank sensors are unreliable.
I believe that a couple of bottles of cheap Cola in an empty tank can clean things up, obviously you need to drive around to slosh it about.
Presume you have a sat box for the sat system, then connected from sat box to tv with hdmi if possible.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Canna help with the air con but the tank sensor should be fairly easy.
Basically there are only three types of sensor that I know of.
The worst is probably the tube in the tank that has reed relays in it that are switched by a plastic ring that has magnets embedded in it.
As the ring rises the magnets switch the relays. If this is your type then chances are the top relay has died and needs replacing
The next is the float type. Exactly the same as you would find in a fuel tank.
The float is on an arm that is attached to a wiper..
As the level rises, the float goes up and the level indicator rises as the . Unless the float is jammed up I do not think this will be the type you have
The third is nice. Similar principle to the first but the reed relays are outside the tank, with a magnet in a float that is trapped in a molded tube up the inside of the tank

None are that hard to fix :)

BUT !
Make sure the issue is related to the sensor and not elsewhere before digging too deep.
Easy way is to locate the sensor feed wire and disconnect it.
If the reading drops then the fault is indeed the sensor.. If it does not then you should start looking elsewhere

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Missed the sat thing completely !

Is it an automatic system ? If so what make is it ?

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
we have the same M/H and tank sensor unreliable just put cheap coke in and it does help if you keep it at nil desperandum we are just along from you

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I too have the same 669. Do you have a Sat dish on the roof ? I had trouble for ages, turned out to be a fault on the t v tuner. Re the heater, what does the temp gauge read. if it is in the normal band could be he heater box controls. On a different note, do you park the MH at home if not is there any space where you are? I am in M B M a total pain in the rear for access and as Old Man River knows totally lacking on the security side.
Martin

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
waste tank level is the same on ours Swift Voyager I may try the Coke to see if it helps

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Re the Sat/roof wiring, it is to be found behind the locker above the fridge freezer. It splits and then runs to the front and rear TV point.
If you do have a dish the system need to be switched because you can only watch one t v at any one time. I have an Oyster Autoscew and we have a switch over in the cupboard above the fridge when we retire to bed to watch t v.
Martin

OP
OP
M

Mike Eldridge

Free Member
Jan 4, 2015
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
since 2008
Hi All, thanks for all the advice, yes we do keep it at Nil deperandum, Think I may have badgered you before old man river I left a paper note on your screen once before when we were deciding what to buy.

The aircon unit is a roof mounted and think it was an optional extra when new, the make is Waeco easy cool EC-1500. I have managed to find a wiring diagram and parts list for it, but not sure where to buy the part from??

The Sat is the auto external roof dish that auotmatical flips up and tracks the best signal

Thanks Mike

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Is there ANY sort of box on the bottom of the satellite cable Mike ?
If so, what make or model is on it ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
advice as above, but to add the other type of tank sensor is a very basic probe fitted in the side of the tank. as the water level rises it makes a circuit. totally unreliable and crap, but works when brand new. after a few weeks use the probes corrode and get covered in residue. inside a waste tank is a very dirty toxic environment full of grease, cleaning chemicals and detritus

as said you need to clean the tank regularly, either with a purpose designed cleaner or more cheaply with a few bottles of cola

the satellite dish is connected to a box that does all the tracking. your decoder or sky box attaches to this. the satellite dish controller may well need a software update if it hasnt been used for a while

air con, may need re-gassing

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I had a WAECO roof a/c on a CB years ago..pretty reliable unit, a sealed system so should not need re-gasing generally, but you never know! as not getting cold is a sign of lack of gas(refrigerant). how old is it?

First of all have you had the case off, and examined the filters as they can get bunged up with leaves etc....

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Hi there
As can be seen also the proud owner of said MH. Had it nearly six years from new and have had very little in the way of problems. Re the waste and water sensor, like others very unreliable. When fresh water is overflowing water level shows three quarters and the waste, a bit like the good lady just depends on the mood at the time, I have tried the coke thing and yes for a few fill ups all seems ok then back all over the place. So I do not worry about the level indicator. I always fill and empty when I can and when static for a few days do the bucket run and 5L water fills. Hope you enjoy the van, we have a year off in April and are in the prep stage. Bit like Eisenhowers trip to France, maps out and endless lists,

OP
OP
M

Mike Eldridge

Free Member
Jan 4, 2015
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
since 2008
Thanks to every ones prompt responses, I will try the bottles of cola with regards to the water tank sensor, sat problem etc.
1: Im going to try the coke thing as this seems to be a common sense of opinion from you all.
2: The air con, good point about the leaves, I will try this first, it has been suggested that it could also be one of three things being the Thermostat, re gassing or the condenser I have no idea how to eliminate any of these so if any one has any suggestions the would be greatly appreciated.
3. Sat system will try again, I'm not convinced at this stage it has all the right cable as nothing is connected via hdmi and also there is only 1 cable going into the receiver box and nothing coming out, if I'm not being to dim surely it should be a similar setup to the sat system like sky in the home.

if there is anything else I should know or consider with regards to general maintenance then please feel free to drop me a line

Before I forget what the maximum weight that can walk safely on the roof, I'm 16 st am I going to be safe or should I send one of the kids up there to check the AC roof vents

Again thanks to all
Mike

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Got on the scales this morning post festive celebrations. I don't think I will be getting on the roof for at least three months

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back