Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
hi just had a 40amp blade fuse go (melted) the fuse comes from leisure batteries to electric box. dealer just said it was because Ive had 2x110amp batteries fitted instead of the usual 85 amp and the batteries have become that flat that when I've started the engine its took that much power to try and re charge the battery's that the fuse melted ,now I'm worried that his fix is to fit a 90 amp fuse ,don't know why battery's were flat as used every day and hocked up most evenings as well as solar panel fitted have an inverter fitted but turn off buy remote switch and have to manually switch from inverter power to hook up power so that shouldn't affect any thing any thoughts !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Best way to start fires is fit bigger and bigger fuses.

Replace fuse and establish a pattern of when it melts, if it does.

It's essential to establish why it blows.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

If I understand you correctly both your leisure batteries have become flat even though you use the MH regularly and in becoming flat something has blown a 40 amp fuse, if that is basically correct it would appear to me that you have a dead short which is why the batteries are flat and the fuse is blown,

You could try using a multimeter on resistance to see if you get any high readings, have you replaced the 40 amp fuse with the same size if you have did that blow ? I certainly wouldn't increase the fuse size.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I must say it would not be my method to increase fuse size that can only lead to possible trouble, you have got to find sorce of trouble.

With that fuse blowing it sounds like a short. I would replace with 40amp fuse and try doing every thing you did before, to see if you can duplicate the fault,checking after every test to see if the fuse is intact.

If it blows at least that will point you in the right direction.:thumb::thumb:

Dave

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi FG were the batteries flat? or is it just that the dealer said they were. Its possible that you had run them down a fair bit using the inverter and the dealer is correct that the alternator tried to charge them at over 40amps.

You wouldn't normally be able to charge a single 85ah at more than about 20amps no matter how flat it was, but 2x110ah could possibly take around 50ah and blow the fuse.

Another possibility, have you had the engine running and the inverter on at the same time? This would almost certainly cause the alternator to pump as much as it could through to the batteries.

The fuse is there to protect the wiring, if the wiring is thick enough then fitting a 90amp fuse is ok, but do you have thick enough cable?? 16mm2 (7.5mm OD) is what you need.

Its very difficult to give safe advice on such a problem, I would advise you to contact an electrician if your not sure what your doing.

Olley

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
The Swift Kon-tiki comes as standard with 2 X 110amp leisure batteries on the 09 models and 1 x 110amp 0n the 07/08 models. Would,nt want 85amps fitting instead of !

Mark

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back