Swift habitation door (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I Have, for my sins, a Swift 630g that needs a new habitation door. I am sure that some of you will know the story so far.

Well I just checked with my workshop as to how things are going, (The parts have been on order since some time in May).

IE have the parts arrived yet. They told me that they were expecting that some of the parts, but not the door itself may be arriving tomorrow!

I reminded them that if the parts do not arrive by the end of September it would be too late as we will be away for the winter.

I just wondered if Swift would like to come on and tell me if I will get the door before September?

Living in hope
Doug...

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Have you PM'd Swiftgroup direct just in case they haven't read your post

I Have, for my sins, a Swift 630g that needs a new habitation door. I am sure that some of you will know the story so far.

Well I just checked with my workshop as to how things are going, (The parts have been on order since some time in May).

IE have the parts arrived yet. They told me that they were expecting that some of the parts, but not the door itself may be arriving tomorrow!

I reminded them that if the parts do not arrive by the end of September it would be too late as we will be away for the winter.

I just wondered if Swift would like to come on and tell me if I will get the door before September?

Living in hope
Doug...

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Doug,
If you can PM me some details chassis number, dealer, your name & address etc.
I will investigate this for you and get back to you,
Thanks
andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Nothing heard yet!

Doug...

The power of "FUN"

Further to my post of this morning I received a telephone call from Swift this afternoon and was told that my door would be with Swift on the 15Th of July.

That gives about 6 weeks for the delivery and fitting before I vamos for sunnier climes.

Doug...

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Hi all,

For those that know the saga of my accomodation door on my Swift van the saga continues.

Last week Swift rang me to tell me that the door was now in stock and would be delivered to fitting garage within the week, this morning I rang the garage to see if it had arrived and was told no!

I have just rang Swift and a recording told me that Swift were on holiday untill 17th Aug.

Does anyone know this number, its not the 01482847332 number which is the switch board number.

Maybe you might ring it your self to see what you think.

So it looks like another year is going by without beiing able to get my door replaced, we are off to Portugal on the 1st of September.

Doug....

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Hi doug,we have had the new hab door fitted about six weeks ago and they are a big improvement on the previous one.We did have slight delays due to delivery problems and faulty or damaged doors being sent out by supplier.
The built in bin on the new doors is a poor design but other than that they feel and look alot more solid.Also they shut and lock as they should do,i.e no slamming in order to get a seal.Overall i am very pleased with the new door and with swift.Lets hope you get it sorted before you go away.
Dave

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Doug,

You are correct, we are now on Summer Shutdown for three weeks. However, if you have been told the door will leave last week, it probably did, and is on a lorry to your dealer (it does take a few days for stock to arrive at dealers).

However, if it is still in our stores, then we do have limited staff dispatching stock for the next three weeks.

I hope that helps.

Ash

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
There was a paragraph missing from my last post....................

When I rang the Swift number the recorded message gave the number of customer service but the girl who made the recording read it out that fast that it was not possible to understand what was said. try ringing it your self, you will see what I mean. a cynical person might read something into that!!!

In the mean time does any one have the number for direct Swift customer service? Not the switch board one. Andy?

Doug...

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Doug,

The number for Swift Customer Services (Direct) is: 01482 875 740. Please be aware that during the 3 Week Shutdown, we only have a very limited amount of support, and therefore, you may need to leave a message.

Alternatively, drop me a PM with your VIN, and I'll try to find out.

Thanks,

Ash

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
An update on the saga.................

Yesterday we went to the garage to see the new door that has now been delivered by Swift and (I hope I'm not speaking too soon) it looks like the original. I did not completely remove the bubble rap just enough to check the fly screen and the lock fitting and all seems OK.

We are booked in for Fri 14th Aug (pheeew close thing) and hopefully we will collect it the following week 21 Aug

It has been a close run thing as we hope to escape at the end of the month

Hopefully this we be the end of a 3 year saga

Doug...

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hope all goes well with the door, you have been waiting long enough.

Hope it does't take that long to build a motorhome.:cry:

Dave:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
And the problem continues

Yesterday I collected the van from the repairers after having the long awaited accommodation door had been fitted.

When I inspected the door It was clear that the door did not fit correctly, I could see day light over large sections of door seal!! I don't think it was the repairers fault as the new door was behaving exactly as the old door did i.e. it would fit at the bottom but not the top and if you adjusted to compensate it would then fit at the top and not the bottom.

I have come to the conclusion that the left hand side of the van is twisted in some way so that its impossible to get any door to fit.

To the best of my judgement on knowledge the van has not been involved in any accident so I think and believe that it came out of Swifts factory with the fault inbuilt.

With the old door the only way I found to compensate for this was to adjust the door lock so that the lock was pulling the door in and bending it to make it reach the seals.

It is not just a case of adjusting the hinges as the top right corner of the door frame is set back further than the three other corners.

Unhappily I will just have to except the situation as I don't have the money to put it right and I cant see Swifts making any offer to help, or can I?

But the good news is, we are booked in on the Dover ferry to escape the wonderfull UK winter.

Doug...

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Sad: Sorry to hear about the door STILL not being fixed correctly. It's to be hoped some compensation may be forthcoming? Hope you enjpy your southern journey. The 6/7th of September we are on the way SOUTH ourselves. Just one family holiday left before we go. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Unhappily I will just have to except the situation as I don't have the money to put it right and I cant see Swifts making any offer to help, or can I?
Doug...

That's defeatist. A job has been done, the job is unsatisfactory.

Was it repaired under warranty ?

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
as a temporary measure, would it be possible to pack the seals out to make them contact the door??

obviousely you'll adjust it to the top seal is tight, and then pack the bottom one out to stop the wind blowing in.

it seems motorhome doors are a pain the the rear,
when i ordered my coachbuilt body, i asked for a one piece door for security, i got a 2 piece barn door as they had problems with the one piece doors,
my 2 piece door has never sealed all round, if i adjust it so it seals all round, it dosent meet properly in the middle join, so you could pull on the bottom half and open it whilst the top is locked.

i really want one of the dometic one piece habitation doors, i like the look of it with the opening long window, and decent looking locking mechanism, but i have tried to buy one but they wont sell to members of the public, only motorhome builders, and they wont accept that i built my motorhome as a valid reason to supply me with one!

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
That's defeatist. A job has been done, the job is unsatisfactory.

Was it repaired under warranty ?

Yes it was under warranty, from 4 years ago when we bought the van.

I made the claim at the end of the 12 month warranty and its taken 3 years to get to this stage due to our wintering away. I simply don't have the heart to start all over again.

Doug...

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Chin Up!!

Hi Doug,
Sorry to hear of your supply problems but this is the norm that I have found over 25 years and 10 vans. Last year I collected my new Autocruise Gleneagle without a table but the company was taken over by Swift. That was in June and in late October I received the said table.
Last month my habitation door showed signs of rot along the bottom and my dealer confirmed this and stated a new door was the only option. The shock came when they gave me a fully fitted price of £2500, yes two thousand five hundred pounds.
These doors are a big problem but most dealers will give the same responce, "we haven't heard of this problem before". This sentence is the first excuse in there reply porfolio and has a very bad effect on most customers. My friend with a Startrail is on with his second door and needs a replacement to this as severe fitting problems occur when it heats up.
Don't worry Doug you will have your part eventually. After my 25 years and seven brands out of ten owned in my opinion they are still rubbish but we are the mugs for buying them.
Wiljoy

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Doug,Swift are admitting fault by supplying the door to the dealer,who either is not fitting it correctly :Doh: or is of the opinion that it cannot be fitted right :ROFLMAO:
Try dropping Swift a pm to see if they can make a better job of it :thumb: after all 3 yrs is a long time to wait for a repair :Eeek: even if you are away a lot of that time :Cool:
COME ON SWIFT what about a factory repair ??? ---when Doug returns of course :Doh::ROFLMAO:
terry
PS IMO - I don't think your van wall will be twisted just a shoddy fitted door from your dealer :Eeek:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Doug.

It seems a pity to give up now they have messed you about for 3 years and it seems that you are no further forward than when you started. The fact that you go away for part of the year should not make any difference; they have admitted that it is not correct by sending a replacement door. If the new door will not fit correctly then it must be the van as you say, surely it is now up to Swift to complete the job to your satisfaction on your return to the UK.

Hope you get somewhere with it.

Don’t give up.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
If you are passing by on your travels, pop in and we will have a look.

Peter

Thanks for the offer, but no time at the moment but I might take you up on our return in the Spring, Thats if the UK has one next year.

Doug...

mikeange

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
wimborne near new forest
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
2 year (caravan before)
habitation door

Hi Doug
I have a swift BOLERO680 fb.I waited from late Nov 2008 until July 2009 for my new habitation door.New one is 100% better than old model.(worth the wait)!
mike & ange

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back