Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
I need to jack the front end up to replace some drop links and after having a quick look the jacking points seem obvious; there's one at the front just behind the front wheel, one about halfway along near the exhaust and one just in front of the rear wheel.

IMAG1586.jpg front
IMAG1578.jpg mid
IMAG1579.jpg rear

However, as this will be the first time I've worked under a 3.5 tonne vehicle I wanted to double check the best locations for placing the axle stands .

So I rung Swift and the first response that was fed back to me from the technical department via the customer service desk was "we don't recommend using axle stands". They're going to get back to me tomorrow with what they do advice.

So while I'm waiting I wondered what others on here do. I plan on replacing all the brakes front and rear so advice for all around would be appreciated as it seems like I'm on the wrong path.

Swift Sundance 590RS 2005 on a Fiat Ducato 2.3 base

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unbelievable advise.....DONT USE AXLE STANDS !!!

I wouldn't bother waiting for them to get back to you....no telling what dodgy advise you'll get.

I would avoid any sill jacking points unless you plan on using the supplied scissor jack (brave man)
Jack under the chassis using a block or jack saddle if neccessary and place axle stands under the chassis also.

NEVER rely on a jack alone.....even brand new jacks can fail.

OP
OP
barracudabus

barracudabus

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks @pappajohn

I've got a 3 ton trolley jack but was going to invest in a 5 ton bottle jack for the van, I don't trust scissor jacks on a car so wouldn't contemplate using one on the van for 1 second.

When you say jack and support on the chassis do you mean off the suspension, etc or the box frame underneath?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barracudabus

barracudabus

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Unbelievable advise.....DONT USE AXLE STANDS !!!

NEVER rely on a jack alone.....even brand new jacks can fail.

They weren't for a second suggesting using on jacks alone which is why they are going to come back to me. I do think it was strange advice too so it'll be interesting to see what they come back with.

I've used jacks forever and it's what I trust so I'll definitely go that way

OP
OP
barracudabus

barracudabus

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
As pappa said axle stands under the chassis rails. (box frame) As close to the front as you can get.

Thanks @gus-lopez, I had read somewhere to avoid doing this on AL-KO frames so was a bit cautious but if it's OK that's good.

I've got some thick decking off cuts so I'll use these to spread the load and protect the frame

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
I wonder if the advice not to use axle stands is because the axle stands most people have lying around will be two tonne car axle stands? If you have a pair of 4 tonne you should be fine.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I wonder if the advice not to use axle stands is because the axle stands most people have lying around will be two tonne car axle stands? If you have a pair of 4 tonne you should be fine.

I doubt that, remember that no axle stand is required to support all of the vehicle, so for the sake of clarity if the whole front of the vehicle is jacked up & supported on axle stands the vehicle weighs 4 tonnes you'd be supporting a little over two tonnes on stands that are rated to 2 tonnes each.

The same goes for a 3 tonne jack, its never lifting the whole vehicle in one go, that'd be impossible.

Now that said, you can never have too much safety, but common sense is required.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks @gus-lopez, I had read somewhere to avoid doing this on AL-KO frames so was a bit cautious but if it's OK that's good.

I've got some thick decking off cuts so I'll use these to spread the load and protect the frame
The front end, from just behind the rear of the cab, is original base manufacturer chassis.
The Alko rear end bit is bolted to it so jacking under the front part of the chassis is ok.
Alko don't make a complete chassis except caravans.

OP
OP
barracudabus

barracudabus

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012

That's quite possible, you would have thought they'd just ask though.

I've got a couple of 3 ton stands so that should be fine on a 3400kg van as it's 6 ton combined.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Be careful to read the small print. Some, but not all, axle stands are rated PER PAIR. So a 2 tonne pair of car axle stands may be rated 1 tonne each.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
OP
OP
barracudabus

barracudabus

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
So they came back today advising "to use axle stands on the main beam as close to the cross member as possible", and that took them 24 hours :censored:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The front jacking points as shown in the first photo are prone to corrosion so give them a good visual i inspection before using them. The "mid points" as shown in photo 2 are not jacking points, do not use them as such, they are anchoring points for various body types that could be mounted to the chassis. The rear Jacking points are exactly that if you are using the supplied scissor jack. The fact you have these points identifies your vehicle as not having an AlKo chassis so you can ignore advice regarding that subject.

Personally I would put the Jack under the front jacking points (assuming they're not rotten) and then place axle stands under the front subframe close to the lower suspension arm mountings. At the rear i would Jack under the axle and place stands under the axle.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back