Swift construction materials? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I'm thinking about buying a Swift 614. First registered April 2017. Can anyone tell me whether they were being built all GRP at that time, or any comments on likely build issues at that time?

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I was looking for info on ours before we got it and it came up with assets in the link so now for anything swift my go to on google is the model, the year and the word assets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I was looking for info on ours before we got it and it came up with assets in the link so now for anything swift my go to on google is the model, the year and the word assets.
Interesting, I'll bear that in mind. The wonders of the Internet............

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Now, now, don't spoil my dream. They have improved a lot over the years. Haven't they? :oops:

Our local caravan/motorhome dealership started stocking the escape range, soon after they stopped and when asked why the salesman said the only escape bit about them is the parts escaping from them as you drive it down the road.

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Our local caravan/motorhome dealership started stocking the escape range, soon after they stopped and when asked why the salesman said the only escape bit about them is the parts escaping from them as you drive it down the road.
Well, thanks for that...........

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Not my words and I couldn’t confirm if he was just talking rubbish!

We have a 2012 swift Bessacarr and more than happy with it.
We had a Hymer A class before, so I'm thinking a lot of what we will see, now the dealerships are opening again, will seem a bit flimsy. We'll have a look, and rattle a few bits about and see what we think.

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I think they still use polystyrene insulation so a bit naff in the winter.
I think you are right, but not a major issue as we won't be anywhere cold in the winter. Maybe south of France, Italy, or Greece....... UK in the summer mainly. Hopefully it will be OK on that basis.

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
When I put a door in the back of my 1997 swift 520

it was aluminium outside polystyrene inside and board inside the van
Only 20 years older then. :LOL:

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
People in glasshouses shouldn’t throw stones. None of the MH s manufactured today come problem free. One Hymer owner had had nothing but trouble from day one!! You can find him on this site. I believe he imported it from Germany, long way to go to get your leaks fixed!
If you want a good specked van at a reasonable price but a Brit built MH
If you want a very basic MH and are prépare to spend another 15k on ‘Extras ´ then buy a European Van.
They are all as good as the men that build them on the day. Good and Bad both sides of the Channel .

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
People in glasshouses shouldn’t throw stones. None of the MH s manufactured today come problem free. One Hymer owner had had nothing but trouble from day one!! You can find him on this site. I believe he imported it from Germany, long way to go to get your leaks fixed!
If you want a good specked van at a reasonable price but a Brit built MH
If you want a very basic MH and are prépare to spend another 15k on ‘Extras ´ then buy a European Van.
They are all as good as the men that build them on the day. Good and Bad both sides of the Channel .
Here here. Have a read through the thread on the Hymer lighting/wiring problems will provide a nice bit of balance

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
At least Swift Radios are wired up correctly unlike Carthago where the Start Batteries keep going flat !!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
At least Swift Radios are wired up correctly unlike Carthago where the Start Batteries keep going flat !!
I think you will find the head unit in the Swift is wired to the starter battery, the problem is not with the wiring but the Pioneer head unit.
I doubt if any of the hab wirings is correct in a Swift they are very good at using well undersize wiring not fit for purpose.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Carthago radios go live with the media switch so that the tv can use it. I just shut the radio down if I don’t need it and turn the media switch off when finished. I have had no problems. Hardly incorrect wiring, just different. Incorrect wiring is shutting down the leisure system as soon as the engine is started and providing leisure battery wiring that can not handle 50A.

Aug 17, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2011
I think you will find the head unit in the Swift is wired to the starter battery, the problem is not with the wiring but the Pioneer head unit.
I doubt if any of the hab wirings is correct in a Swift they are very good at using well undersize wiring not fit for purpose.
What a great forum this is.
I casually skim read a broad range of topics without any specific intent apart from basking in the joy of a shared interest in a fantastic way of life that motorhomes encourage.
Anyway my Pilote Ducato has been losing charge for ages I assumed the engine battery was on the way out. Well I hadn't specifically recalled I had read the above post but it suddenly dawned on me as I checked to see if I needed to put the battery on charge that I have a Pioneer radio!
Removed the head unit and 2 weeks later battery fine.
Long message I know but thanks all for such a great community forum. I must be energised.
P.s. took me ages to remember where I had read it .Typical.
Chris

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I'm thinking about buying a Swift 614. First registered April 2017. Can anyone tell me whether they were being built all GRP at that time, or any comments on likely build issues at that time?
Many of the hire companies stopped using the Escape as the build wasn't robust enough for the heavy use they saw. As a privately owned motorhome I'm sure it'll be fine especially as the 614 was mainly ordered by private buyers whom appear happy.
They're full GRP construction, good sized kitchen and washroom. If it has an awning you're probably looking at around a 520kg payload.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back