Swift 630g garrage door problems: Again!!! (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Two years ago two may remember I had a new garage door replaced on my Swift 630g, the problems started because one of the gas struts failed, the garage door literally fell off.

Well after only 2 years use the same thing is happening again!!!

I came to open the garage this morning and it would not even open more that a foot without me lifting it. So now I have to source a new set of gas struts ASAP because if I don't the door will end up falling off again.

The way the door is designed the gas struts hold up the door at all times, if they don't the hinges and frame that the hinges are attached to come away from the body of the van.

So Swift. how about sending a set of gas struts to Gibraltar FOC.

Doug...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The way the door is designed the gas struts hold up the door at all times, if they don't the hinges and frame that the hinges are attached to come away from the body of the van. Doug...

You say you are an engineer, which puts you one ahead of the Swift designers, it looks like time to re-design the thing properly or else we'll be getting the same message in 2 years time.

Not easy when you are miles from home, I know, but it's the only sensible thing to do.

How hard can it be hang a door so it doesn't fall off ?????

Suggestion, not knowing the layout....

Get a full width strip of 3 or 4 mm steel. Screw to frame with lots of screws so as to spread the load. Drill/tap and hang door. Patent it, sell patent to Swift.

If you can get to the other side of the frame, then put strip on that side and use machine screws right through.

Simples.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
You say you are an engineer, which puts you one ahead of the Swift designers, it looks like time to re-design the thing properly or else we'll be getting the same message in 2 years time.

Not easy when you are miles from home, I know, but it's the only sensible thing to do.

How hard can it be hang a door so it doesn't fall off ?????

Suggestion, not knowing the layout....

Get a full width strip of 3 or 4 mm steel. Screw to frame with lots of screws so as to spread the load. Drill/tap and hang door. Patent it, sell patent to Swift.

If you can get to the other side of the frame, then put strip on that side and use machine screws right through.

Simples.

One of the problems is that the door is so heavy, a 1 1/2 meter aluminium skirt is fastened to the bottom of the door, it is about twice the weight of the accommodation door and I don't think the frame could cope with the weight plus of course the skirt is wider that the door so its impossible or very difficult to have the skirt fitted if the door was hung vertically.

There are many name I could call it but lets just say it's "a right dogs dinner" designed by a cowboy.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Eeek: My Suntor 630G doesn't have gas struts. Just webbing straps. I haven't had any problems with the door dropping on it's hinges so far. Perhaps I am lucky or may be on your newer 630G they have changed the design? :Eeek:

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
:Eeek: My Suntor 630G doesn't have gas struts. Just webbing straps. I haven't had any problems with the door dropping on it's hinges so far. Perhaps I am lucky or may be on your newer 630G they have changed the design? :Eeek:

I can't think how the straps could lift the door, any chance of some pictures so I could assess the possible conversion?

Doug...

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I can't think how the straps could lift the door, any chance of some pictures so I could assess the possible conversion?

Doug...

:Doh: Now I see. MINE is a side opening garage door.

BVqqOgB2kKGrHgoOKjYEjlLmS1ctBKTowLp.jpg

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
:Doh: Now I see. MINE is a side opening garage door.

BVqqOgB2kKGrHgoOKjYEjlLmS1ctBKTowLp.jpg

Ah!! but yours is a side hinged door, mine is a top hinged door, a close up if the hinges and frame would be a help and how the skirt misses its mate when the door is open. would be great also.

Doug...

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Ah!! but yours is a side hinged door, mine is a top hinged door, a close up if the hinges and frame would be a help and how the skirt misses its mate when the door is open. would be great also.

Doug...

:roflmto: As you know Doug, it is a little dark at the moment in Spain. I will have to try and remember to take some photos tomorrow. Provided the weather stays like it has been for the last several weeks. :thumb:

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
:roflmto: As you know Doug, it is a little dark at the moment in Spain. I will have to try and remember to take some photos tomorrow. Provided the weather stays like it has been for the last several weeks. :thumb:

Where are you, if you are not to far away maybe I could come and see, we are in La Linea at the moment.

Doug...

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
:Cool: Camping Almafra Benidorm. TOO far away I'm afraid. :Sad:

Yes; never mind but the pic's would help, it looks from what I can see enlarging you foto that you have 4 to my 3 hinges and they are much bigger than mine, what year is the van?

Doug...

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Hi Doug. Hope the 3 attached photos are of some help:-

Attachments

• Garage Door Hinge 1.JPG
    Garage Door Hinge 1.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Garage Door Hinge 2.JPG
    Garage Door Hinge 2.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Garage Door Hinge 3.JPG
    Garage Door Hinge 3.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

Doug...

Hi John, Would I be correct in saying that the hinges on the garage door are the same as is fitted to the accommodation door?

Doug...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Are Swift sending you out the new struts Doug? Are they charging you for them or is it part of the service?

Where are you picking them up from seeing as how you are on the road?

JJ

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Are Swift sending you out the new struts Doug? Are they charging you for them or is it part of the service?

Where are you picking them up from seeing as how you are on the road?

JJ

NO!!! Swift have made no contact, not surprised, the seem to be a little like politicians, good at talking but rubbish at actually doing anything.

They did supply the last set that has just failed after only 2 years ago of service and the cost was considerable, so this time I am making alternative arrangements. by getting a UK company to fly them out to me here in Gibraltar.

But Swift, if you reading this the cost to me for replacing your faulty goods Is £66.00. If you want my bank details contact me and I will provide them, some hope!!!

Doug...

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Well the new struts have arrived here in Gibraltar and they are fitted, I can now move again without the possibility of the garage door falling off!!

I must do some re-engineering to the door next year, and and convert it to a side hinge instead of this top hinge system. no doubt I will have to re-enforce the framing to take the weight of the door.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back