Swelling around the sink (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
I know this is just a little thing but has anyone got any advice on how to best preserve the work surfaces around the sink?

On one side our work surface has risen up about 3mm and there has obviously been some small amounts of water getting in there - see pics...

What's the best way to try and restore this? Is there a way to get any moisture out from that gap and to get the work surface to drop back down again?

Does this just need a run of clear sealant - or do we need to do something else?

Many thanks,

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_5352.JPG
    IMG_5352.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5353.JPG
    IMG_5353.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 75

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Very difficult to get it flat again. You would need to take the sink out then you may be able to brush some glue or expoyresin into the gaps then clamp it very firmly along the complete length, using several clamps and a lenth of timber on each side preferably hardwood as it is more ridged. Don't fortget to mask the surafce well first. Then recoat the edges with an epoxy resin.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Once it's swollen there's no realistic way back I'm afraid

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would bodge it with some clear sealant then use a plastic basin all the time ant other fix will be a lot more complicated and probably still not work.

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would bodge it with some clear sealant then use a plastic basin all the time ant other fix will be a lot more complicated and probably still not work.
Thanks. I just dont want to seal any moisure in. Is there a way to avoid doing that?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Once it's swollen there's no realistic way back I'm afraid

I'm sure the only chance is to remove the whole top and see if you can clamp it together with some waterproof glue after it's dried out.
Or make a complete new top from the pattern.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Andy

It looks like the top has lifted away from the sink and the wood swollen a bit as well, I guess the sink will be screwed to the worktop from underneath so is this the way moisture has got in or is it just from the edge. It will need reseating on silicone sealant if it has a gap and then the edge of the worktop needs sealing, I would have thought that exterior varnish would be good for this. If you can keep it dry for a while it should dry out OK enough to seal.

Martin

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
In one of my caravans I had a leaking shower tray and the wood washroom door pillar and skirting became swollen and distorted - I managed to fix it by heating the area - in my case the wood "shrank" back to its original size

1. Use an electric fan heater on a fairly low setting directed at the offending area and leave it on for as long as it takes (days if necessary) to completely dry out (hopefully the wood may in fact shrink a little as it dries out
2. Having established that it is fully dry (using a damp meter) then seal the area adjoining the sink with a high grade clear sealer
3. Seal the wood edges with epoxy resin and then varnish the whole area with high quality yacht varnish

Not a perfect solution but a practical DIY task with (hopefully) a reasonable result :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Have you checked that it has actually risen (use a straight edge on top)? The plywood is well waterproofed in that area & it looks as though maybe the sink has dropped.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you checked that it has actually risen (use a straight edge on top)? The plywood is well waterproofed in that area & it looks as though maybe the sink has dropped.
Just had another look after your comment as I thought he was saying the top had lifted, the photos are not that clear. Now it does look like the sink has dropped.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back