Sweetheart Abbey (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Don't know how long this sign has been here but one of our favourite overnights scuppered :cry:
IMG_20210430_161134.jpg

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
No way, that’s is very sad. It doesn’t look ‘official’ does it? Is that you in the background?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Used to stop off there for a cup of tea when I was a nipper on our way to \ from Sandyhills Beach flounder tramping. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
This from a fb group, has me thinking it may be as the poster says that the council are expecting a busy weekend and the signs are hopefully temporary, fingers crossed.
9156ECE4-1F90-45B2-9033-5BBF014C670B.jpeg

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I’ve sent an email in regarding this. I’m not sure who owns the car park, I wondered if it might be NTS.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Do the same rules equivalent to TROs apply in Scotland as in England?

If so, those notices need to quote the relevant TRO which has been passed and approved, Otherwise they are not enforceable.

Geoff

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Looking at them I would suggest they are *advisory* and not mandatory . Rather like the *Car owner no parking* that some people put in their front windows and it opens a can of worms on grammar!

OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Just a quick update on this....

We have just parked up for our lunch at the Abbey and the No Overnight Parking sign is still here!
:cry:

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I’ve had a response from Kimberley from Dumfries and Galloway C. Not sure how to proceed now and I’ve not had chance to do the survey. Any (polite) suggestions welcome.

The reply :-

Thanks for getting in touch.

There have been signs put out recently by our roads colleagues, but these have been, or are in the process of being removed and improved signs will be put in place. These new signs will signpost visitors to a live webpage where there will be information about “official” places to stay overnight. This is in response to the anticipated increase in visitors to the area.

Having said that whilst our Council isn’t granting permission for overnight camping in campervans and motorhomes in our carparks at this present time, we do recognise that people do this from time to time. We are asking everyone to be responsible with the message, Respect, Project and Enjoy. New Abbey car park is one of the areas where campervans do seem to stay overnight and there are no reported concerns from the local community at this current time so it is unlikely that there will be any action to stop this activity as long as there is no reported anti-social or criminal behaviour.

If you have any general feedback about the increase in visitors to the region please do feel free to complete the survey by following the link below:

CLICK HERE

I hope that answers your concerns.

OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Thanks for doing this (y)

I've looked through the survey questions and my first impressions are that it is Covid related?
I also get the impression that they are "hedging their bets" in so much that they are not saying you can't overnight, BUT not saying you can.
Perhaps wait and see what the "official" sign says?

We've driven through the Galloway Forest Park over the last two days and not seen any more signs like the one at New Abbey.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks for doing this (y)

I've looked through the survey questions and my first impressions are that it is Covid related?
I also get the impression that they are "hedging their bets" in so much that they are not saying you can't overnight, BUT not saying you can.
Perhaps wait and see what the "official" sign says?

We've driven through the Galloway Forest Park over the last two days and not seen any more signs like the one at New Abbey.
Most of the car parks in the Galloway Forest Park are owned by the Forest and Land Scotland (ex Forestry Comm) Barry hence no signs. They currently take a very lenient laid back view on overnighting in the area we have done it for years without being challenged. 👍👍👍

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I live in D&G and have seen these signs in a lot of places, I haven't witnessed any overnight parking as yet. Even in Portpatrick this evening there were no vans. Following with interest.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Would be interesting to find out the legality of these signs. In the past local authorities have installed signs only later to have them taken down as they had no right or power to install or enforce the restrictions

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
There has been a suggestion to that it's to do with liability, should anything untoward occur the authority could be found responsible. Personally I think it's to do with the unprecedented numbers of overnighters we saw last year across the region, and the associated mess that sadly was left behind.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
There has been a suggestion to that it's to do with liability, should anything untoward occur the authority could be found responsible. Personally I think it's to do with the unprecedented numbers of overnighters we saw last year across the region, and the associated mess that sadly was left behind.
That’s a lame excuse as most car park signs have liability disclaimers in them anyway.
are they frightened they may end up in a paternity case if there is a bit of sex going on in a van ? 🤪

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Hot Off The Press!

I have spoken, informally, with the council officer about the situation and it's a mixed bag with Dumfries and Galloway. However, she did say that New Abbey residents are happy with, or at least no complaints, about motorhomes staying overnight in the Abbey car park. Indeed, it was suggested that you can stay there now ignoring the hastily put up sign. But we didn't say that officially! Better and more official signage will be put up in due course. Enjoy.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Guess where we are! :giggle: The temporary sign has gone and we haven't spotted any others so we are here with a small camper van nearby, nice and quiet, we arrived around 8.15 pm and took the dogs for a little potter down to the cemetery next door to the abbey but unfortunately shortly afterwards it started raining and we had to high-tail it to the MH so will explore some more in the morning - we've been before but it was a long, long time ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back