Sweden and Norway this summer (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We are going to Sweden and Norway this year. The plan is to leave UK early May and return early September.

I know a few of you have already done this trip. Do you have any advice or recommendations please?

Many thanks in advance

Chox :Smile:

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi,
I'm sure you will love it, but be aware it a very expensive part of the world. We first went 20 yrs ago and was shocked. I spoke at length to a number of locals who were very nice and brought up the subject, their response was,
" We live very well" so the cost is worth it"
I well remember going into the going into the famous 'Gardens' and was going to have their famous Fish and chip's for lunch... Until I seen the Menu they were £15 ! that was then. Its a wonderful part of the world with a very slow pace. I'm sure you will want to go back!! I do.!!
The current cost of diesel in Sweden is 1.57 per liter which is 57% higher than the average world price. But about the same as the UK.
When we went it was double the UK, just shows what we pay.
Have a great time, Best Regards Mac

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are going to Sweden and Norway this year. Do you have any advice or recommendations please?

Chox :Smile:

Take wellies. We did a reccie by boat to Norway, a tour guide said it rains 300 days of the year.

The other 65 it snows.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Norway is stunning in all respects , but boy is it expensive....:Doh: dont bank on travelling long distances at a time unless you are well in the south as there are few dual carriageways outside the main cities. and the hairpins are literally to die for.:Doh:

would love to go back, the air is so clean it like "its never been used!" unlike uk or southern europe. but... it rains and it dont have too many lenghty periods of sunshine. which is why most Scandinavians spend as much time as they can sunning themselves in southern parts of Europe.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Wonderful country and we were made very welcome. Everyone seems to speak English - we attended a wedding near Jonkopping and had a lovely time. The roads are very quiet and the countryside and farms very clean and tidy. We went by ferry from Harwich to Esberg and drove across Denmark and the fabulous bridges to Malmo - driving on the bridges made you feel as though you were driving into the clouds - but that was an expensive experience (tolls) and we wouldnt be in a hurry to repeat ferry crossing either as it was very very rough. We intend to go next year and use the tunnel and drive. Jonkopping is on lake Vattern and we drove north and around lake Vanern - these are enormous lakes - and returned along the west coast and back via Gotenburg to Malmo. The west coast is a mass of small islands and is very beautiful. We went in late July and August and had lovely weather apart from the last couple of days. I believe the season for camp sites is quite short in Sweden. We took our own booze as it is so expensive out there to buy. If we ate out we rarely bought wine with our meal as wine in restaurants is very very pricey. It was a lovely holiday.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks guys, my initial research suggests that the West side of Norway is the wet side and that Sweden is warmer, drier and cheaper :Smile:

We would probably spend more time in Sweden and certainly top up with diesel and food whilst in Sweden.

I know that Sundowners and Flatpackchicken went last year and they enjoyed it!

Our van is under 6 metres and under 3.3 tonnes so the various tolls should not be TOO expensive :winky: Also we get around 38 to 40 MPG on a run so the fuel cost in Sweden will be OK too. As for eating out we don't (!) and we enjoy the outdoor life.

It's gotta be worth a trip surely :whatthe: Also we want to experience 'non stop daylight' too :Blush:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Thanks guys, my initial research suggests that the West side of Norway is the wet side and that Sweden is warmer, drier and cheaper :Smile:

We would probably spend more time in Sweden and certainly top up with diesel and food whilst in Sweden.

I know that Sundowners and Flatpackchicken went last year and they enjoyed it!

Our van is under 6 metres and under 3.3 tonnes so the various tolls should not be TOO expensive :winky: Also we get around 38 to 40 MPG on a run so the fuel cost in Sweden will be OK too. As for eating out we don't (!) and we enjoy the outdoor life.

[HI]It's gotta be worth a trip surely[/HI] :whatthe: Also we want to experience 'non stop daylight' too :Blush:

I see Garry is going to post but just to say having spent some time with the Sundowners and Flatpack since their trip they are all keen to return to Scandinavia. Got to the point when all I could hear was Sweden this and Norway that blah blah :ROFLMAO: all good stuff :thumb: Jane ::bigsmile:

biggsy

Free Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We did it in July 2013, though in three weeks rather than 5 months. I envy you. There's no arguing that it is an expensive trip, but in our view it was worth every penny. Sweden is a nice country with rolling countryside, plenty of trees and lots of lakes. But Norway is something else - it is completely stunning from top to (almost) toe (We found Oslo a bit faceless, apart from the opera house)

Fill up with wine and beer in Germany (if you go that route) and don't be worried about the customs rules, which strongly restrict the amount of alcohol you can take in, especially in Norway. But we rarely saw a policeman, let alone a customs official so there's very little risk and the savings are massive.

We went Rotterdam, Fehmarn Island (Germany), Copenhagen, Malmo, Stockholm, Bodo (in the Arctic Circle - the experience of the Midnight Sun is surreal) then down to the fiords, Bergen (not very motorhome friendly, we found) Oslo, and back via Hirtshals through Denmark.

It was a wonderful experience and we can't recommend it highly enough. (Incidentally, I have a road atlas of Norway for sale if you are interested. Let me know)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It's booked !

I've just done it ::bigsmile: Ferry booked Harwich to Hook of Holland return ::bigsmile:

We leave UK late April and return mid August

Ain't no one gonna put us off ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Well as you know Sundowners and myself done Sweden Norway and finland from May to mid July, what a fantastic journey, stunning scenery, and a very enjoyable trip that lasted just on 2 months. We went through Germany to Trevamunder in northern Germany and caught ferry to Malmo Sweden as the bridges in Denmark were to expensive for us and the ferry was very cheap really, cant remember exactly but around £120 one way and £75 coming back for Sundowners but bit more for me as I had a trailer on. Then best way to see it all really is to go up through the centre of Sweden and pop over border into Norway when you want to see something, but make sure you are full of fuel and food before you enter Norway as Norway is so expensive it spoils your holiday a little bit, ie loaf of bread £3.50 and so on, but just keep popping over the border, and you will have a great time, Sweden is good for wild camping, loads of parking area's on side of roads and in towns with plenty of tourist offices where usually you can get free wifi and all the gge's let you have water no problem, and all the water is drinkable even in the rivers and lakes most of the time. alsp plenty of toilet drops in layby's and parking area's for cassete type of toilet, but if you have a tank then you will need a macerator to pump it to the dump points. Overall Sweden is a very motorhome friendly country and most people speak perfect English so language is not a problem, although Norway is not so much motorhome friendly as parking area's are few and far between and water is a problem but we managed ok, Overall fantastic place Scandinavia for a holiday, but Finland is full of mosquito's and made life very unpleasant, could not wait to get out and go south back into Sweden. Hope you have a good time, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
I've just done it ::bigsmile: Ferry booked Harwich to Hook of Holland return ::bigsmile:

We leave UK late April and return mid August

Ain't no one gonna put us off ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Hi just reading your adventure's for up here,and flatpackchicken as gave a good run down for scandinavia, but if you need any more info on Sweden or Scandinavia just pm us and will do our best to help, and if your adventure's brings you near our way and we are at home your always welcome here for a cuppa,Regards Alf:thumb:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi just reading your adventure's for up here,and flatpackchicken as gave a good run down for scandinavia, but if you need any more info on Sweden or Scandinavia just pm us and will do our best to help, and if your adventure's brings you near our way and we are at home your always welcome here for a cuppa,Regards Alf:thumb:

Thanks Alf, have the kettle on standby :thumb:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009

I can seriously vouch for a call in to see Alf and his gang, great host and stunning place he has in beautiful countryside, well worth a visit or even a detour to drop in and see Him, we did and very glad we did to, just helped to round off a perfect journey. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
That's us

On our way today:Smile: Drive down (across?) to Essex from Herefordshire for the weekend then on the ferry to Holland on Sunday::bigsmile:

The plan is Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Holland.

Think we've got most of what we need but just discovered that an 'Emissions Badge' is required for some of the German cities so will have to buy one if and when needed.

Four months.................:Smile::Smile::Smile:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
On our way today:Smile: Drive down (across?) to Essex from Herefordshire for the weekend then on the ferry to Holland on Sunday::bigsmile:

The plan is Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Holland.

Think we've got most of what we need but just discovered that an 'Emissions Badge' is required for some of the German cities so will have to buy one if and when needed.

Four months.................:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Don't forget the Kettle shall be on,enjoy your travels, :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Enjoy your trip, I look forward to the updates as we are planning our summer holiday there this summer.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I went on a road trip to North Cape a few years ago. Norway is a stunning country especially in the north and well worth the effort to travel up there.
Just be careful regarding the traffic laws my souvenir was a speeding ticket at £750.00 for being 15mph over the limit. They gave me the choice of paying locally,going to Jail for two weeks and paying from UK. Once home I didn't pay and after about 6 months they started to chase me through Uk debt collectors so I had to pay.:cry:

Would I go again yes, would I keep to the speed limits yes

Enjoy the trip

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Attachments

• 100_0290.jpg
    100_0290.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 19

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Have a great time :thumb:
We have been up north about 30 times sofar and plan to go this year again !!!

Dont know yet when we leave, had to cancel our early spring trip to the south. Broke my arm :cry: Hope to be able to travel again in 6-8 weeks :Eeek:

Paul and Ineke

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
After driving north through the stunning central wilderness of Finland & Norway I did the route 17 trip from north to south last year, (coming down from Nordkapp) what that is is a mini cruise/drive through stunnning scenery and the fjords and lots of ferry trips (I did 8 from memory) motorhomes fully catered for :thumb: in fact you will meet French/German MH' ers but rarely a brit tho and even some Norwegians ......but be prepared for them to turn up at 3am (getting towards 24 daylight) in the morning at your layby (yes really) and have a barbie :Eeek: I wild camped next to fjords in parks in a zoo & lots of other interesting places without any issues. (apart from the regular 3am barbies)

Be aware the older mountain tunnels in Norway are often dark deep and wet and have no lines on the road, some of the roads are quite narrow and some of the Norwegians are not exactly stunning drivers....so care needed here.

Extra Speed cameras are often hidden between the official fixed ones, so absolutely no speeding (leave that to the unknowing Germans) - especially with the new EU speeding regs, which may apply in Norway it will cost you a fortune anyway as the authorities do persue you I was told. I was 'pinged' many a time in the middle of nowhere :Blush:

If you can get up to Nordkapp go for it, worth the money to stay there IMHO or you can wildcamp just down the road, but not get in from memory. :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Don't forget the Kettle shall be on,enjoy your travels, :thumb:

Hi Alf, I just realised that due to a change in direction we never managed to get to you..............next time eh?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back