SWC300 any tips (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
First I should point out this will be our first time in Scotland in our camper, we’ve been twice with our caravan a few years back.
Going to hopefully wild camp a couple of nights then find a site then repeat through the week.
We travel upto Carlisle on Friday ready to start Saturday morning.
Got park4 night & campercontact and we are members of the motorhome & caravan club.

Dec 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Just enjoy it we done it last September used the forestry Park for a night stops plus enywhere that would not upset any locals
Have a great time
Kev

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_172859.jpg
    IMG_20200923_172859.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
First I should point out this will be our first time in Scotland in our camper, we’ve been twice with our caravan a few years back.
Going to hopefully wild camp a couple of nights then find a site then repeat through the week.
We travel upto Carlisle on Friday ready to start Saturday morning.
Got park4 night & campercontact and we are members of the motorhome & caravan club.
I can certainly recommend the Metal Bridge Inn. Just north of Carlisle. We were there last week. Do ring ahead to book in though. They were only allowing pre booked vans on last week. There were 16 vans there.
It was the busiest place we saw in two weeks around Scotland and Harris, Lewis.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Definitely try to get down to the Isle of Whithorn. Great pub food in the Steam Packet, a first class community tea rooms (that description doesn’t do it justice though!) . Free parking on the grassy car park round the corner to the Steam Packet (who own the land). You’ll need chocks though as it’s a bit slopey.

There is also a very nicely positioned C&MC site at Garleston, where the mulberry harbours used in the D Day landings were developed.

if books are your thing, then also take in Wigtown, Scotland’s book capital.

have a great trip!

Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
Recommend Silver Craigs campsite in Kircudbright. Well maintained community run site. Less than 10 minutes from the town centre which has lots of small independent shops.
It has been a sea fishing village and has some boats tied up at quayside. See below.
C4E9AFD6-D357-47A9-AFA9-B04663DE920E.jpeg

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
A visit to Port Logan and Port Patrick after you've been to Mull of Galloway lighthouse 👍

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We live in Dumfries and spend plenty of weekends away in our own region, we're just back from a weekend in Portpatrick. A few good suggestions above and don't forget the stay the night scheme https://forestryandland.gov.scot/staythenight, I'd also suggest going off the main roads and you'll find some lovely little places. If you require specific info then please just ask.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've been doing that for the last 2 weeks using various wild camping/parking spots as well as the Ayr 'aire' (won't use it again!), unfortunately we got beaten by the midges which were eating me alive to the extent that I couldn't get out of the camper without being nibbled so we went down to Dunoon and decided enough was enough and turned back to visit some bits we'd missed out on the way up and others we'd already been to. We are currently back at Ayr in a lovely quiet side street just behind the large grass area at the rear of the beach having been parked on the MH 'aire' for most of the day (free as only charged from overnight), then moved to the road parking after 4.30 pm when a lot of people had departed so space for us (it was rammed when we got there around 12.30 pm), then to 'our' street at 7.00 pm to have tea before the second football match started.

There are a load of places to choose from that are free or a small charge is made (see Park4Night and Search for Sites apps) so we haven't needed to use a site at all. You can do your black waste at Ayr and also at Tarbet (Loch Lomond) where there is also free fresh water and you can sort-of do your grey waste but unfortunately they've put a lift up hatch on the grate (used for black and grey waste) rather than a sliding/fold back one, so you can't actually drive over it but by careful manoeuvring you can get most of it to run into the grate.

Just make sure you are prepared for the midges ... if you suffer from their bites I would caution you about going anywhere near the forestry sites or any wild/parking places anywhere near trees ... the midges have been starved of fresh Sassenach blood so are biting anyone who remotely smells like 'non-native Scottish'!

OP
OP
Leakylunar
Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Thanks for the heads up, intend to go clockwise starting at Gretna.
Are midges worse on the coast or inland?

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Have you anywhere booked for Friday night? If not, you could try the Metal Bridge Inn, just off the motorway North of Carlisle. Well set out parking area for MHs with water and waste. Good food at sensible prices. Best to book.
Search4Sites has lots of wild camping spots and FLS has 4 forestry car parks where MHs are allowed to park overnight for about £6. The one at Clatteringshaws has a CDP.

There is an aire type stopover at Glencaple, East and South of Dumfries plus o/n parking at the jetty.
In Dumfries the nicest place to park daytime is at Dock Park, next to the river about 5 mins walk into town.

You can park at the back of the Steam Packet Inn in the Isle of Whithorn.

There are 2 CMHC sites, Garlieston and New England Bay. New England Bay is less regimented than Garlieston.I

Port Patrick is a nice village to visit but they discourage o/n.

If you fancy going up the coast a bit, overnight parking is allowed at Girvan Harbour, £5 from 6pm til 9am. Large marked out bays, also CDP and water.

Enjoy our lovely area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back