Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2011
Hiya, just joined so hope I don't make any misteaks......... I have a perfectly serviceable rm4230 fridge in my 8 year old elddis xplorer 400. Just two problems. It's the wheel arch version,which we don't need,so needlessly lose 10 litres of storage and it has a freezer compartment which we don't use either. I just fill it will pre frozen blocks to stop the poor thing trying to freeze air. I'd like to replace it with a reasonably priced larder fridge, ie no freezer compartment. Thought I'd found the perfect solution at the NEC this week ( oct 16th 2014 ) but was told by Dometic that the portable larder I was looking at for £284 ( rf 60 ) was not designed to be permanently installed so hasn't been registered. "You're on your own if you want to try and fit it !" was the response. Any bright sparks out there got any solutions !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't see a problem , your vans old enough to be out of warranty so you can fit what you want , don't know what you are looking at , but why is it not fit to be permanently installed, but I know £284 is not cheap , if it's what you want it's not out of the way if it goes wrong.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now im confused........

You have a 70ltr fridge, including a 5ltr freezer compartment, which means 65ltrs fridge only space but you lose approx 10ltrs due to the wheelarch design which you want to regain without which your current fridge only space would be 75ltrs

yet you wanted to swap for a 60ltr larder fridge !!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Richard Bacon

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2011
Ta, it was more the safety aspect I was concerned about, as was the Dometic salesman. If the portable fridge has not been tested with an enclosed back then if it produces too much heat with not enough ventilation then thinks might get dodgy. Logically with no freezer compartment it should actually produce less waste heat then what's installed at the moment. Very tempted to go for it,just need to find someone whoose qualified on the gas side to install it.

OP
OP
R

Richard Bacon

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2011
Maybe rf 60 was the wrong model. There was definitely the same size unit as mine,with no freezer and no wheel arch cutout.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't see a problem , your vans old enough to be out of warranty so you can fit what you want , don't know what you are looking at , but why is it not fit to be permanently installed, but I know £284 is not cheap , if it's what you want it's not out of the way if it goes wrong.

Its a table top fridge.....same thing as a beer chiller.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ta, it was more the safety aspect I was concerned about, as was the Dometic salesman. If the portable fridge has not been tested with an enclosed back then if it produces too much heat with not enough ventilation then thinks might get dodgy. Logically with no freezer compartment it should actually produce less waste heat then what's installed at the moment. Very tempted to go for it,just need to find someone whoose qualified on the gas side to install it.

Good luck.

If it isnt certified for permanant installation i doubt and registered gas installer would touch it.....they would be responsible for any potentially lethal comeback.

OP
OP
R

Richard Bacon

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, that's what I thought would bring this idea to a grinding halt. Just have to learn to pack the fridge more frugally in future ! Other larder fridges, that would "safely" fit, have been north of £500 which is a non starter. Thanks for all help, case closed.

marjohn

Free Member
Jun 25, 2013
lowestoft
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 years
Hello there
I had a small fridge in my hobby750 Motorhome and we where going to Morocco so we required a large upright fridge freezer we lost a little space but it was a great improvement you can get 3 way fridges you might have to alter the wood work or you might get the right size with all the guarantees etc magnum Motorhomes
01472 353520 ken or anybody wish you look and the price very reasonable
Marjohn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back