Suspension Top Mounts noisey (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I had my MOT done today, it failed on ineffective hand brake, but I've got some notes from someone on here on how to adjust it so I'll try doing that myself.
What puzzles me is he commented that the front suspension top mounts are noisey. Whilst chatting, a mechanic in the adjacent office says he heard them as well.
Now I had new shock absorbers, springs and top mounts fitted last summer.
So I'm wondering if this is a problem ? Could they be noisey due to being new, is it likely to get worse and end up an mot failure. They weren't recorded as an advisory.
Should I go back to fitter and should I request to they be replaced with a pair that aren't noisey ?

2003 B544 2.8 JTD

TIA

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
How can they be noisy sitting there on a ramp…? Surly only when being driven and possibly over bumps…?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
How can they be noisy sitting there on a ramp…? Surly only when being driven and possibly over bumps…?
Both wheels off the ramp being checked for play in suspension and wheels being turned as in steering.
I'm not aware of any noise when driving.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It is possible the top mounts were not torqued down when fitted and are now loose? get them checked

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Both wheels off the ramp being checked for play in suspension and wheels being turned.
I'm not aware of any noise when driving.
Ah… so the suspension being noisy in a position they won’t be in when normal driving….
You put me on a rack and stretch me I would probably be noisy too…😆

by all means get a check on them but I suspect they are fine and because there new(ish) they are still bedding in…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'd ask the tester to be more specific with what he means by 'noisy' as noisy in itself isn't an MOT issue. He probably means the issue is wear causing a noise, perhaps a grinding or rattling noise or the fixings were insufficiently tightened.
I don't know the design of yours but in very dry or very wet weather rubber bushes in the suspension or steering can make a dreadful racket over bad or undulating surfaces. When I was in the trade at a Jag main dealer and a customer complained of suspension noise (a 'squeaking', 'squealing' or 'scrooping' noise) it was standard practice to squirt hydraulic fluid on the anti-roll bar bushes. (I've no idea why we didn't use ordinary lubricating oil except that perhaps being thinner the hydraulic oil would 'creep' better into the bushes nor would it harm the rubber).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'd ask the tester to be more specific with what he means by 'noisy' as noisy in itself isn't an MOT issue. He probably means the issue is wear causing a noise, perhaps a grinding or rattling noise.
I think he was suspecting wear until I told him they were replaced last year and he could see clean shiney springs and shocks.
In the end he didn't even put it as an advisory, just said to get it checked.
I've emailed the fitting mechanic so I'll see what he says.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back