Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Last year when we had our van MOTd the front suspension arms were down as an advisory. We had them replaced at a cost of £400 because we were going on a long tour to Europe and didn't want to pay over the odds if they got worse when we were away.
Today it was back into the same garage for MOT and they have told us that one of the front CV joints needs replacing. I am woefully ignorant about these things but just wanted to check if the joint should have been replaced when they did the suspension last year?
The question itself will reveal my lack of knowledge so be kind to me!
Mags

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Last year when we had our van MOTd the front suspension arms were down as an advisory. We had them replaced at a cost of £400 because we were going on a long tour to Europe and didn't want to pay over the odds if they got worse when we were away.
Today it was back into the same garage for MOT and they have told us that one of the front CV joints needs replacing. I am woefully ignorant about these things but just wanted to check if the joint should have been replaced when they did the suspension last year?
The question itself will reveal my lack of knowledge so be kind to me!
Mags
not really .
but they could have changed them ,then someone would say why .
its one of those chicken ,egg questions .

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
As mentioned they are totally different components and wouldn't be changed at the same time or as part of the same repair.

It's wise to have the joint replaced asap. The joint transmits drive from the gear box assembly, through what is known as a differential (sometimes referred to as the diff) and out to the driveshafts that are connected to the drive wheels and thus spin at high speed.

The cv joint contains ball bearings and are usually lubricated by grease. Once the joints start to wear they can knock quite badly and will eventually fail. It's a simple case of wear and tear.

They can fail prematurely if the rubber boot that covers the cv joint has split and dirt and road grit has entered the component. This will accelerate the wear process and eventually lead to the cv joint failing. A split rubber boot is an mot failure by way of interest.

Get it changed for peace of mind and to avoid any mishaps while driving.

I know it probably doesn't mean much, but the schematic drawing below gives you details that you may find interesting, along with a number of photos.

Outline of the driveshaft.

IMG_3641.GIF

Exploded view of the cv joint

IMG_3640.JPG

View of a failed cv joint.
IMG_3639.JPG

New cv joint
IMG_3638.JPG

Complete driveshaft along with the cv joints and rubber boots
IMG_3637.JPG

Keep us posted:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The thing is the garaged is damed if the do and damed if they don't.

The joint i guess was well in tolerance otherwise they would have advised a change and then you may have thought they were trying it on possibly.

Depends how well you know the garage and how much you trust them.

On a side note as said get it sorted asap, I once drove back from Scotland with a broken CV Joint.
When my Cousin took it apart it fell out in bits :eek: good old Ford Mondeo (y)

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks folks. It's being repaired next Tuesday. That's when the MOT is due and they said we could drive legally until then. We're planning to go up to Inverness on Friday for the weekend (320 mile round trip). Are we risking something more serious by doing that? It wasn't a mechanic that advised us we could drive, just a receptionist who told us the legal situation regarding the MOT.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have a valid MOT certificate you are legal though if a garage had told you not to drive the vehicle you might be in a grey area with insurance if there was an accident due to the component failing.
It's not really possible at this distance to say if you will be able to do your planned trip. The joint could fail tomorrow or go on for a few thousand miles. The garage which discovered the fault might be able to advise.
Best to check your breakdown cover too. :)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thanks folks. It's being repaired next Tuesday. That's when the MOT is due and they said we could drive legally until then. We're planning to go up to Inverness on Friday for the weekend (320 mile round trip). Are we risking something more serious by doing that? It wasn't a mechanic that advised us we could drive, just a receptionist who told us the legal situation regarding the MOT.
It's one of those questions, how long is a piece of string. No one knows.

You could drive comfortably for another 500miles or 50miles. It depends on the wear and amount of freeplay already in the cv joint (by the way, cv stands for Constant Velocity joint).

If it was me, I wouldn't take the risk as it's just too far and will involve driving long distances at speed. If it fails at speed, then it can effect the steering, cause excessive wheel judder and worst case scenario, it shatters and causes damage to brake line, steering components, ABS sensors if fitted etc.

If it does fail, you'll need to be recovered home again and taken to the garage for them to effect the repair.

If it caused an accident and you are aware that the vehicle isn't in a fully roadworthy condition, I don't know where you would stand legal, being that the item is an mot failure.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
It got you to Spain and back fine :)
It could last for a few 1000 miles but personally I would get it change before trip

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
It turns out that it's the CV joint gaiter that has gone. The van is going back into the garage, just two miles away, as we speak. It's a good garage - we've used them for years but recently the mechanics themselves don't speak to you, they write notes and the receptionist tells you what the issue is. I don't like this - it was much better when you spoke to the person who did the job. Thanks again folks - it's advice like this that makes this forum brilliant. M

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
That will be down to time and money with no communication, sign of the times unfortunately.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A receptions could be on £10 an hour. A mechanic £20 an hour.
When a mechanic is on a job, getting constantly interrupted to answer the phone talk to clients etc slows jobs down and makes billing for jobs accurately a nightmare.

The garage I use has a guy that handles the phones, talks to customers, does invoicing, quoting, ordering and hands out jobs. He can also pick up the tools when there is a rush on. Just because they are on reception doesn't mean they aren't a mechanic :p

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
A receptions could be on £10 an hour. A mechanic £20 an hour.
When a mechanic is on a job, getting constantly interrupted to answer the phone talk to clients etc slows jobs down and makes billing for jobs accurately a nightmare.

The garage I use has a guy that handles the phones, talks to customers, does invoicing, quoting, ordering and hands out jobs. He can also pick up the tools when there is a rush on. Just because they are on reception doesn't mean they aren't a mechanic :p

Far be it from me to make sexist and ageist assumptions but the receptionist I spoke to was a girl of about 17. Perhaps she is an apprentice mechanic. I get it about the cost of talking to customers though - makes good business sense.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
If it's just a bust gaiter it will not break the bank
Probably a few £ for the gaiter and an hour or so labour

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I was going to ask you if your MH was making a "clunking" noise from the footwell area if you tried to drive in a circle slowly ( clockwise or anti clockwise ) with full steering lock applied , but I see you have now discovered it was just the CV gator that needed replaced.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back