SUSPECT HOOKUP LEAD (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
diconnect from power supply and the van, put meter on omhs, and with the plug and socket ends side by side test for continuity between pins ( the correct ones that is ), visual inspection of outer surface of cable for damage.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
should ask , why you want to test it, whats it not doing?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

mfh27748

Free Member
Mar 4, 2008
essex/london
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
since 2008
Have had a few problems with this particular lead its only 6 months old, when I have been on a hook up and turned the charger on the hook up post trips out try another lead all o.k any suggestions gratefully appreciated

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You can test for continuity with a multi meter but you CANNOT test the insulation, that requires a Megger.. or PAT test meter

but since you had to ask, and I mean no disrespect, have it tested by a qualified electrician .. or buy a new one

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i would remove each end and check loose connections, and as mentioned earlier check for damage to the lead outer. has it been driven over at some stage? you clearly have a short of some description. but your continuity test should show that if the fault is there permanently.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
ps; if you cant find the fault and it persists, chuck it! i guess its £25 for a new one and its likely to cost all of that to get it tested.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The fittings on 99% of leads from accessory shops have little or no sealing, even at a few months old I would not be surprised if it has rusty connections inside

Possibly just a loose connection though, worth a look

I am getting round to changing all the ends on ours to ones with decent screw grips on the incoming cables and remaking cable ends at same time, if needed

When I say I am, what I really mean is our electrician at work is :D

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Didn't you just ask the same question on FB? ;) lol

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Check connections on BOTH end and make sure the Live Neutral Earth are in their correct position and securely tightened you have some thing obviously tripping to earth,if still a problem remove both plugs and renew the lead .or as mentioned bin it all and buy new

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If it's a long lead rather than scrap it cut it in half and retest to find the bit that is faulty and chuck that. Make a new short lead with the good bit.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You can test for continuity with a multi meter but you CANNOT test the insulation, that requires a Megger.. or PAT test meter

but since you had to ask, and I mean no disrespect, have it tested by a qualified electrician .. or buy a new one

That's the best advice you will get on this.

but your continuity test should show that if the fault is there permanently.

I'm sorry but you are wrong there. A multi meter or a continuity lead will not always show an insulation fault

If it turned out to be a manufacturing fault with the cable itself - inner insulation damaged with nothing visible on the outer it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've thrown away more leads than I care to recall.. they can get damaged internally when run over, or can get small cuts that allow water to ingress. This happens predominantly on aires rather than sites where you can usually route the cable behind the van out of harms way. You won't easily spot this with a visual inspection.

If the site RCD is tripping, unplug the cable from the van and reset , if it still trips .. it's a damaged cable.. chuck it..
Treat your cable with care, wipe clean and inspect every time you pack it away.. and ALWAYS unroll it completely before using.. any extra length lay under the van in large loops.. not coiled up.

If you are away in winter and it snows.. lift it daily above the snow or it will get frozen to the ground, then when you decide to leave you will not be able to get it out .. It happened to me at Aviemore, all I could do was cut the plug and socket off and leave the cable buried.. a lesson learned.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back