LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
My husband wants to take my son to the Atlantic coast of France for a surfing holiday somewhere around Royan or southern Vendee. Does anyone know of any decent sites with beach access?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can't help you first hand but there are so many you'll be spoiled for choice.

Some clues here......

Link Removed

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Montalivet sud aire !! 8 Euros a night when she can be bothered to collect ! been here nearly 4 weeks and paid 5 times.Leccy included ! Beach half a mile away through the forest ! What bliss, come here every year !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Montalivet sud aire !! 8 Euros a night when she can be bothered to collect ! been here nearly 4 weeks and paid 5 times.Leccy included ! Beach half a mile away through the forest ! What bliss, come here every year !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:
You do mean Vendays-Montalivet? Because Montalivet is come up in the middle of nowhere south of Lyon for me.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nice beaches at Royan but it's not really a surfing area.. poor waves due to location ..

best to go further south, there are plenty aires all down the south west coast , many near or on the beach

Favorite of ours is Mimizan Plage, Large tarmac aire which is right on the beach behind the sand dunes.. 15A EHU, water, dumping and outdoor shower.. about €12 in high season, there is a local surf school and shop at the beach, plus local shops and restaurants in the town..

have a look here at ones we have stayed on

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207590977793691629247.00045c1ab0c50bf957c9d&msa=0&ll=44.918139,-1.065674&spn=3.943985,10.524902

more surfing info http://www.globalsurfers.com/france.cfm

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
My husband wants to take my son to the Atlantic coast of France for a surfing holiday somewhere around Royan or southern Vendee. Does anyone know of any decent sites with beach access?

Ondres plage , Capbreton plage,
Anywhere just above Biarritz up the coast towards Mimizan plage.
Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Nice beaches at Royan but it's not really a surfing area.. poor waves due to location ..

best to go further south, there are plenty aires all down the south west coast , many near or on the beach

Favorite of ours is Mimizan Plage, Large tarmac aire which is right on the beach behind the sand dunes.. 15A EHU, water, dumping and outdoor shower.. about €12 in high season, there is a local surf school and shop at the beach, plus local shops and restaurants in the town..

have a look here at ones we have stayed on

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207590977793691629247.00045c1ab0c50bf957c9d&msa=0&ll=44.918139,-1.065674&spn=3.943985,10.524902

more surfing info http://www.globalsurfers.com/france.cfm

Very very true.....Jim.... all better surfing beaches further south...:thumb:

Mel

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Very very true.....Jim.... all better surfing beaches further south...:thumb:

Mel

Thanks for replies. Looking around the cote sauvage 'cos they've only got a week and got to go in August as it fits in with uni dates etc. They have surfed around Biarritz before.

Found Parc de la Cote Sauvage - looks good if a bit expensive in August:Eeek:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Royan's not really the place as it's tucked into the Gironde estuary. There's a campsite up the coast on the Baie de Bonne Anse NW of La Palmyre next to the Phare de la Coubre, (type 45.696723,-1.230083 into Google Maps) with access to a stretch of wild coast that runs North to Pointe Espagnol but I've seen that beach around low tide and it's very steep, with odd sand shelves on it suggesting strong currents and I've never seen anyone surfing there.

The nearest surfing spot North of the Gironde is on the Ile d'Oleron at Le Grand Village Plage (45.850714,-1.251154). Oleron is MH friendly in that the aires are cheap and have good facilities (some are ex-campsites), but it's difficult to park a MH anywhere near the SW facing beaches. At Grand Village Plage there's a height barrier about a mile short of the beach car park. If you have your own boards you'll need to find a way of getting them to the beach easily. I've seen one guy using an adapted kiddie trailer for a bike. If you're hiring a board at the beach that might be different, but it's worth checking that facility's available.

Northwards after that you're looking at Les Sables d'Olonne through Brem-sur-Mer (Les Dunes has a campsite)) up to St Gilles Croix de Vie. Longboarding championships are held at the latter spot. There's a campsite up there (Camping les Cypres, 46.670672,-1.909422) with a 15 minute walk across the dunes to the beach. We stayed there for a week one summer but the sea went flat. It's a very French site - you'd do well to see any other Brits.

To be honest with you, you'd be a lot better off going south to Bordeaux and heading for Lacanau-Ocean (44.998948,-1.203089), which hosts the ASP/WQS surfing championships each year, and is very surf city. There's an aire at Le Huga on the edge of the town, good cycle tracks, big campsites closer to the town beach, and a MH friendly beach car park at Plages-Sud. For full details check my Aire review Link Removed.

I should add as an afterthought that Link Removed has a huge forest aire with good access to a surfing beach, but the resort itself is quite tacky by French standards compared to Lacanau, and one corner of the aire is often colonised by crusties in the summer so you need to choose your pitch carefully.

Last edited:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I agree with Jim, Mimizan Plage is a great place for watersports and we have stayed on the aire right beside the beach.

Link Removed

For anybody going to north vendee, a visit to the miniature village at Bretignolles sur Mer cannot be missed. We are jaded old bods, well he is, but we were so impressed we could have stayed there all day and I would definitely return if the opportunity arose.

http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/vendee-miniature.htm
::bigsmile:

Ivy

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Biscarosse plage, fantastic aire in a wood right on a very good surfing beach, free all year except when the french are on hols then 8e p/night

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!

And here I am again !! It should be Montalivet les Bains by the way !!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back