Surface tablets, any experts ?? (1 Viewer)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My 11 year old grandson has took to freehand drawing and i want to encourage him.
He has asked about a graphics tablet for xmas, seen a few adverts on the TV for these Surface tablets and people using those for drawing and design. "you cant do that with a Mac" they keep saying....

Now this wont be a new bit of kit if I do get him one, as not even sure he will really use it..
Seen some on ebay sub £100 (used) but know naff all about these.. Any pointers, info ?????

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Does he want a tablet computer or a graphics tablet that connects to a PC or Mac?

Our granddaughter is doing a course at art college and posted on Facebook last night "Been looking at this ,love it and it would be great for college" - Broken Link Removed
She has actually arranged to buy an almost new one off a friend, meaning her Dad and we can get her something else :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Might be worth seeing if he can try one first as it is completely different to using paper so he might not actually like it, I used to do a lot of art when I was younger and have used a tablet attachment for a PC too and much prefer paper!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
adverts on the TV for these Surface tablets and people using those for drawing and design. "you cant do that with a Mac" they keep saying....

It's only faked advertising. I've commented many times, those strokes don't match what is on screen, neither does the pinch zoom shot.

Did you notice the early advert used a Bill Gates clone.

So it's a Microsoft OS tablet. Better than Android or better than iPad, probably not. Surely less apps on M$.

Reactions: GJH

Motorhome Muppets

Free Member
Dec 1, 2014
Nr Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Does he want a tablet computer or a graphics tablet that connects to a PC or Mac?

Our granddaughter is doing a course at art college and posted on Facebook last night "Been looking at this ,love it and it would be great for college" - Broken Link Removed
She has actually arranged to buy an almost new one off a friend, meaning her Dad and we can get her something else :)

You may be right - you can get Graphics cards to add to a PC.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks on input.. He has an ipad already so it's not required as a full time tablet.
Windows I am aware of the app limitations..
I started to look at graphics tablets and that was my first idea BUT that will mean he would end up sat on my PC so we could start fighting...:whistle: ;)

I think my main thought was for £50-£100 he could have something to draw on seperate to a PC, the tablet may be useful as well as a back up for when he wants to watch a bit of youtube etc..

Will research more....

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have a Surface and am sure there will be an ap to suit his needs but historically the Mac family have generally been recognised as leaders in graphics.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Steve you can get Adobe illustrator on a monthly subscription Dan is using it at work and he reckons it's very good. I bought adobe illustrator years ago for work and it was un beatable then. May be worth a look.

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Hmm, they have their place (tablets), I teach A level Graphics and Photography and therefore have some tablets (Wacom.) However, some kids loathe them after trying them out, and the pens are easily lost and expensive to replace. Personally I like the tablets for some work, but prefer a decent sketchbook and a set of pencils and fineliners in general. My experience with kids would suggest a compact digital camera and Photoshop Elements software would encourage creativity and imagination, but not so much the drawing side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back