Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Vehicle : 2017 Peugeot boxer pvc
Simulation : I recreate me going shopping by locking up the van with the Peugeot keyfob ( which does lock all the doors OK) then I would be away shopping at this stage thinking my MH was sort of safe..........
but instead I was still sitting in the mh and I pretend I'm a theif outside who smashes the drivers side window and leans in and I pull the door lever and hey presto all the doors are open in a second.
Surely breaking into a boxer should not be so simple?
I thought at the very least I should not be able to open the doors by pulling the lever

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
On our Fiat Ducato, a double press activates the deadlocks so doors cannot be opened in this way.
Riverbankannie Thanks for pointing that out to me as after trying that several times I finally got it working like yours :)
I had previously read a similar reply and tried the double click then and it never seemed to work. But it's obviously been my error :)
Thanks

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I wonder if their is a way to get it so that by default when you single click the keyfob that it automatically engages the dead locks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Which is how it should be really... ?‍♂️

Well, I tried it a few times, seemed to get a 50/50 success rate.

Is there a knack to this? Or do the indicators flash differently to indicate success?

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I've been trying this earlier, I think I've now got it sussed, leave MH, look at indicators, press key twice in fast succession, indicators should flash 3 times.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I've been trying this earlier, I think I've now got it sussed, leave MH, look at indicators, press key twice in fast succession, indicators should flash 3 times.
Yes they flash three times on the Ducato as well.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Deadlocking on mh's is normally disabled..
Or at least I thought it was..
Certainly is on my chausson coachbuilt on a ford base..
Andy.

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I sort of knew that a double press activates the deadlocks, which is the reverse of my car, which deadlocks on one press and releases the deadlock on the second push, presumably so that you can lock the doors with someone inside without them being trapped.
However, this got me thinking as I normally lock the van using the Alarm Blip. A double press on the Alarm Blip disables the Internal Motion Sensor, I am not sure if it will also apply the deadlock, I will have to try it later. So if I want to set the deadlock and fully arm the Alarm I would need to lock first with the Alarm Blip and then use the standard Fiat remote for the second press. Not to much of a problem as they are on the same key fob.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I sort of knew that a double press activates the deadlocks, which is the reverse of my car, which deadlocks on one press and releases the deadlock on the second push, presumably so that you can lock the doors with someone inside without them being trapped.
However, this got me thinking as I normally lock the van using the Alarm Blip. A double press on the Alarm Blip disables the Internal Motion Sensor, I am not sure if it will also apply the deadlock, I will have to try it later. So if I want to set the deadlock and fully arm the Alarm I would need to lock first with the Alarm Blip and then use the standard Fiat remote for the second press. Not to much of a problem as they are on the same key fob.
Hi what alarm do you have, that has a pet mode via a remote, as my last cobra alarm, pet mode had to be done via a switch in the MH

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Hi what alarm do you have, that has a pet mode via a remote, as my last cobra alarm, pet mode had to be done via a switch in the MH

Hi. My Alarm is an Autowatch 458RL, fitted at the factory by IH. I have to use the remote to set the alarm both inside and outside of the van.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I do it the other way round. Double press the Fiat fob then single press the alarm, also an auto watch fitted by IH.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Deadlocking on mh's is normally disabled..
Or at least I thought it was..
Certainly is on my chausson coachbuilt on a ford base..
Andy.

Yours is a European spec van. Deadlocks are normally standard on vehicles ordered to UK spec, but less likely to be present on vans produced for other markets, including mainland Europe. On the Ducato, they are an extra cost option on non UK spec vans.

Manufacturers don't like spending money, but Thatcham "steers" them towards fitting deadlocks as standard for the UK market as one of the easier options that enables the manufacturer to pass the group security rating and obtain more favourable insurance ratings here ;)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I wonder if their is a way to get it so that by default when you single click the keyfob that it automatically engages the dead locks

There isn't. If you lock the van with the fob when you are inside overnight, do you really want to be unable to get out in an emergency without having to ferret around for your keyfob, possibly in the dark or without being unable to unlock the doors at all if the electrics have failed due to a fire?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes, but not all, hence my question.
I wouldn’t want to deadlock myself in a MoHo, but I like the idea of deadlocking the front doors whilst I’m in, with the hab door being not deadlocked.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I wouldn’t want to deadlock myself in a MoHo, but I like the idea of deadlocking the front doors whilst I’m in, with the hab door being not deadlocked.
We always deadlocked the doors in our last new van, the hab door could be opened easily and I always had the keys to hand when in bed. Our new van (Ducato) doesn't have deadlocks.
I’ve seen vans where they put ratchet straps holding the cab doors closed. Can’t see the point, trying to get out in the dark in an emergency is going to be a bit of a struggle, if even possible, when you’re disoriented and only just awake.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’ve seen vans where they put ratchet straps holding the cab doors closed. Can’t see the point, trying to get out in the dark in an emergency is going to be a bit of a struggle, if even possible, when you’re disoriented and only just awake.
The point of a strap joining the two front doors is to stop thieves getting in the front doors. Thrives know how to get into standard vehicle locks more than odd/different hab door locks. In most MoHo’s, mine included, I wouldn’t be using the front doors to escape my MoHo. I would have to pass my hab door before I got to them, I would need to either do a very complicated climb over the chairs as they are normally facing the hab area when parked, or swivel them around. The escape option would be hab door, or rear window.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

Realistically you will only find factory deadlocks on PVCs built to UK specification (ordered through the UK dealer network for delivery to domestic converters) unless the coachbuilder/converter has paid extra to add them to the build spec. Coachbuilt vans are built on conversion cabs or rolling chassis which are ordered and supplied directly from Fiat (and presumably also Citroen or Peugeot) and not manufactured to UK specification, as unlike vans converted from commercial vehicles they don't have to be.

If you want to "deadlock" the cab doors on a coachbuilt or A class, consider the Heosafe internal door locks.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

Alarms that also lock/unlock the doors from a single fob are not the best idea, since anyone who forces/manipulates the door locks will also turn off the alarm. Once of the reasons why Fords with factory alarms have been more easily compromised than some other vehicles.

If you have the option to deadlock the doors through the vehicle fob but cannot then unlock them with the alarm remote, I'd use it. But it's preferable from a security point of view to keep the operation of the alarm system and the door locking completely separate.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
There isn't. If you lock the van with the fob when you are inside overnight, do you really want to be unable to get out in an emergency without having to ferret around for your keyfob, possibly in the dark or without being unable to unlock the doors at all if the electrics have failed due to a fire?
There is just me & the wife in the mh and there are windows that are easy to open as well as a sky light right above the be we could get out. So for us locking the deadlocks at night is a go.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Some motorhomes are van conversions?
Yip which ours is, and yip the dead locks stop you from opening the sliding door from the inside when locked

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There is just me & the wife in the mh and there are windows that are easy to open as well as a sky light right above the be we could get out. So for us locking the deadlocks at night is a go.
We do not use the deadlocks when inside the van ourselves. We lock the doors and set the alarm without the motion detector.
I keep the keys by my bed so I can set off the alarm if I feel someone is nosing around although in reality, in the dark, I would probably get it wrong and unlock the doors !!

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I would never set the deadlocks with anyone inside the van. You may not be thinking straight if you wake up in the middle of an emergency. I am quite fit and agile, but I would not want to rely on windows or a roof vent to exit in a hurry, and as Riverbankannie said, our alarm including two very loud internal sirens would wake us eject us into orbit should anyone open a door!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back