Sure ly T his can't be right? (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
The following are facts, not conjecture and happened an hour ago so pretty much fresh and I'm typing this VERY Hard.
It concerns an insurance company that I will call S and I'm sure the term of the policy is 12 months.

OK so I needed to insure my 35 year old Porsche for limited miles (1,000) as I only use it for about 2 months a year, when we are not charging round Europe in our 5er. S offered £128 under a classic insurance took it out in October 2010. A few days later remembered that I had not included SWMBO, “That will be an aditional £70”. £35 for cover, £35 admin fees. A month later I informed them I would be keeping it in a garage instead of on the drive, guess what, £35.
Son's Yaris broke fataly so I decided to transfer ownership to him. Charge from Tesco insurance inc. me and 'er as named drivers, £37.

Phoned S to cancel and I owe them £12! £49.95 arrangement fee payback?, Good old £35 admin, and 20% of the premium in cancellation fees. So they now have no liability for the next 7 months and I have to pay them for the privilege!

They told me that I had agreed all this when I took out the policy, yes we all read the T&C's diligently (er...no, because are you going to argue them?).

So they are perfectly legal in doing this but I would suggest morally corrupt?

I told them to just leave the policy as is and he said it is illegal to have two policies on the same car, from reading on the internet this is not so, providing two clams are not made and the insurance of the driver concerned takes priority? Yes, No?
JK

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Insurance companies are it seems a law unto themselves with regard to admin charges etc, with regard to your question i found the link below which says its possible but will be hard to find.

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content26138.aspx

maggie

By the same token did you know that a lot of insurance companies will not cover commute to work for other than the main policy holder, so those with partners/ children on should check their policies if the named drivers want to get to work in the vehicle - we found that out a couple of years ago - social, domestic and pleasure for named drivers but not commute to work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my experience insurance companies do not charge an admin fee for small changes to a policy, like adding a driver. However I have never met a broker that does not charge an admin fee for such changes. LEECHES There's a lot to be said for dealing direct:thumb:

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
I know the company you're refering to JK. I had a quote from them but they couldn't beat the one I had from Carefree.:Smile:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
It is not illegal to have two insurance policies covering the same asset.

What you do need to do is look very closely at the policy T&C's.

Some will say that they will not pay out if it is covered by another policy whilst others will say they will only pay a proportion. Some will not say anything.

The first two could cause an issue if they both refuse to be the paying party.

The MID will have details of both policies logged, so there is no hiding multiple coverage these days.

Of course it goes without saying that you would be committing an act of fraud should you try to claim full recompense from both parties. But not thinking you were even going there.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yup - they would each bear their own proportion so you would be at their mercy(s) whilst they argue the toss about what ppn they are each gonna pay. So because they will each have preferred repairers and different ways of inspecting damage and authorising repairs, you would just have to wait with your car in a damaged state till they decide ........

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
If they find out the car is insured twice, the rules as I understand them is its the responsibly of the policy that was set up first.

The RAC do this, they will still fix/recover the car, but then cross charge to the other company if that policy was opened first.

Nick

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have worked with a number of insurance companies, and , I can tell you that at best they are incompetent.
One of the largest is so bad in terms of IT that its dependant on spreadsheets and notepad files, all of which are unprotected. The same company, started a project and it lasted 18 months possibly 2 years and all the staff on that project were contractors, average daily rate of £500 plus and the number of staff involved was in the region of 50, so their weekly wage bill was about £125,000. What was the end result? Nothing, they scrapped it all.

One Manager’s diary was as follows.
Monday, Scotland.
Tuesday Travel to Yorkshire.
Wednesday Yorkshire Office,,
Thursday Morning to London and meetings in afternoon,
Friday Morning meetings only, afternoon Flight to Scotland.

I can’t knock them, they pay well and I am prepared to take their money, but the waste is astronomic.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back