Suppose I actually want to remove the awning? (1 Viewer)

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I won't hijack another thread, but it made me think. I never use my awning. Never. Partly because I move on often, but mainly because if the weather is good I just sit outside, if it's very sunny I wear a hat and sunglasses, and if it's rainy I don't use it for shelter, I use the inside of the van for that.

So I am thinking In general about downplating and how to reduce payload, and the awning seems like a good chunk of weight. Is it easy to remove? What has to be done to the bodywork then in the way of sealing, etc?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The awning itself is very easy to remove as you may have already read.
The brackets are another thing.
They are bolted through the body work and most likely have lots of sealant between them and the body.

The challenge will be getting them off and covering the holes with a suitable replacement that seals the hole and looks OK.
Alternative is to remove the awning and leave the brackets in place, but not very easy on the eye!!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Don't know exactly where brackets are or their shape....however possibly disguise or use for another purpose....lights cameras etc.... just a thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
We have removed our awning, very easy to do. Just follow sat nav to the Great Kellow camp site near Polperro, a convenient overhanging tree will quickly rip it off and leave it lying in the road. The nice man at the campsite will pop out with his quad and trailer and deliver it to your van.
Having repaired the four foot slit on the side of the van decided not to refit an awning. Found in the UK by the time we stop and want to sit around the sun is too low for the awning so rarely used. We are also weight limited, the awning comes in at 27Kg, being fitted high up does not help handling. Now looking for a simple umbrella type sunshade.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
park it outside Tontaz's, (sorry could not resist) could you both not get together maybe beneficial to each if you

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Have a look at the support brackets,chances are you will have 3/4 . Underneath you will see either self tapping screws or bolt type screws,simply undo them. Once undone the awning simply lifts up and out 👍Two man job to lift, one at each end. Leave brackets in place and store awning to refit come sale time 😉. You can of course remove brackets ( and sell awning 👍) make some cover plates and stick them over hole's 😉paint etc as required.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If you remove your awning box you'll probably have to leave the support brackets on or try to disguise the mounting holes if you take the support brackets off.

However, you could remove the actual awning canvas and mechanism from the inside and leave the box on, that would reduce a lot of weight out of it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you remove your awning box you'll probably have to leave the support brackets on or try to disguise the mounting holes if you take the support brackets off.

However, you could remove the actual awning canvas and mechanism from the inside and leave the box on, that would reduce a lot of weight out of it.
That will only save weight and come sale time could well devalue your MH. I doubt very much that you could store and refit easy

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
That will only save weight and come sale time could well devalue your MH. I doubt very much that you could store and refit easy

Never said he should store it. It would certainly devalue the van below the price he could ask if there was a working awning fitted and someone who wanted the awning wanted the MH.

But would a few blocked holes along the side of the MH not devalue it also ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, it all depends on how/what it's blocked with or how bad the brackets look 😉
In my mind if the van has a awning on it it should work or I would want money off or should I say more money off 😁 The weight wouldn't come into play. If no awning on then you don't factor that into the deal. Awning is a selling point. Although I remember fitting a awning on one of my vans,winding it out looking at it saying looks nice, winding back in and selling van a year later with a unused awning 😁

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have had wind outs on our last 2 vans both vans were New and we had the awnings added. IF we were to get another New van or one that had no wind out already fitted I dont think we would bother. I would however opt for an awning Strip / rail to be fitted.

For "our needs" that would give us greater flexibility and wider choice of how we protect ourselves from the elements or create extra space...IF we wanted any of these at any given time.

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Had our moho 18 months now. Not used the awning cos too wet, too windy, lovely day who needs it, too cold etc. Still nice to know it's there.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
The old awning dilemma..slights bit of wind and you've got to wind it in..
Imo if your staying in the UK an awning is really needed..
if Spain or anywhere hot then they are a life saver .

We have a decathlon event shelter cost 100 quid ..and have had this 5 yrs...stands up to wind rain and sun..all sides zip up so you can stash the table and chairs in or bikes...used it in real shit weather and it really does hold up fine..also only £100 and can't damage the motorhome .

But when heading abroad I leave it behind and use the awning for shade...

If you remove it you'll be left with the bolt holes...cut a rectangle shape of alley about 2mm or 5 mm thick paint white.and use a coach bolt to hold it tight like a sandwich..nice drop of sikaflex behind it ...maybe a outside light to cover up one set of holes...
That's my thoughts.🤷🏽‍♂️

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've found this

It looks as if you simply need to remove 4 x 4mm screws from underneath and the whole canopy lifts of.

It will leave 4 plates to cover or remove.

It will take two people and then you'll need some where long enough to store it.

Yes that was posted earlier. I have fix C which would involve winding the awning out a few feet so that the bolts could be accessed. It is electric so not a matter of grabbing a handle

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you do remove it check for sealant it will probably be sealed all the way along the back. If it has been sealed and been done with Sikaflex or similar it will leave a mess that will be very difficult to remove.

We didn't bother with an awning on our last van but got caught a couple of times in really hot weather so had one on this van. Not used it that many times but when you need it it's a life saver.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

I've just checked the weights and my one weighs 20Kg or about 3 stones.
Not as much as I imagined but significant if you are tight on payload.

Although more importantly its also 20 litres or 27 bottles of wine :drinks:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back