Superstitions (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
When I was little, if you saw an ambulance you had to hold your collar until you saw a four-legged animal - and if you trod on a crack you got a big smack.....
Can you remember any others that you followed faithfully ...... and perhaps still do?:whatthe:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Find a penny, pick it up and......... :Smile:

Still broke... :Sad:

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Isn't that "see a pin and pick it up, all that day you'll have good luck"

I do a lot of sewing and a lot of pin dropping........I have lots of luck, so that one works!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Isn't that "see a pin and pick it up, all that day you'll have good luck"

I do a lot of sewing and a lot of pin dropping........I have lots of luck, so that one works!:thumb:

You pick up "Pins" and I`ll pick up "Penny`s"... or pound coins...

I`m not proud.. :winky:
::bigsmile:

As the old saying goes.See a penny.Pick it up? And all day long! You will have GOODLUCK?

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
If you drop a glove, it's bad luck to pick it up yourself!! Someone else must pick it up!! Nuts I know but I still do it! Especially when riding motor and mountain bikes!!!

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I say good morning to the magpies and ask after their families. :Blush:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you give a knife to someone as a gift they should give you a silver coin to pay for it, else it was an omen of a cut friendship

Salt over the shoulder

Bang one elbow, gotta bang the other

No under ladder walking ( a pain for me as I am superstitious and put up aerials for 9 years ! )

No crossing on the stairs

Pick a daisy and you will wet the bed ( !!! :Eeek: Broken Link Removed )

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I had a customer the other day who said If you break a mirror, bury it and you won't get 7 years bad luck.

Well I'm believing it:ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was brought up in a very religious family. What amuses me most in hindsight is my mum was very anti superstition. She would walk under ladders etc.

She was once berated by a woman for walking under a ladder with her three young kids. Mum told her it was safer than walking into the road with her kids. Guess What? The woman was almost immediately almost knocked over as she went back onto the road to go back to what she was doing.:ROFLMAO:

My friend a joiner still insists I touch some wood if I say something relating to Luck. I begrudgingly humour him on this one.

Me? I haven't got a superstitious bone in my body. I believe life and luck works on a bell curve end of story.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've never been affected by luck and superstition, touch wood :Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some of the old "omens" were based on the tradition of dueling.... so no longer relevant today

drop a glove and dont pick it up was due to throwing down the gauntlet as a challenge to a duel. if you bent to retrieve it yourself you could be stabbed or shot plus lose face, accepting you were at fault

hand a blade to somebody handle first.... you are not threatening them

exchange a silver coin for a blade... and you wont be killed by your own blade

take off glove and shake hands to end an argument... shows you are not armed and are not a threat

never give a purse as a gift without a coin.... its not an empty gift

things like walking under ladders and treading on cracks are based on safety and common sense

its a very interesting way to waste time finding the origins of superstitions as they are often the only link we have left with some old traditions

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My mother was very superstitious but I am not, I believe it's only unlucky if you are superstitious.

I don't believe in Horoscopes, total disbeliever, but then us Pisceans are like that !!!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
some of the old "omens" were based on the tradition of dueling.... so no longer relevant today

drop a glove and dont pick it up was due to throwing down the gauntlet as a challenge to a duel. if you bent to retrieve it yourself you could be stabbed or shot plus lose face, accepting you were at fault

hand a blade to somebody handle first.... you are not threatening them

exchange a silver coin for a blade... and you wont be killed by your own blade

take off glove and shake hands to end an argument... shows you are not armed and are not a threat

never give a purse as a gift without a coin.... its not an empty gift

[HI]things like walking under ladders and treading on cracks are based on safety and common sense[/HI]

its a very interesting way to waste time finding the origins of superstitions as they are often the only link we have left with some old traditions

Was with you until these two.

I think step on the crack is a lot safer than trying to miss it then tripping on the damn thing.

As for going under ladders. I think this is a perceived safety issue that has no basis in fact.

Say that for every 1,000 people walking under a ladder one person gets hit by a falling item. That 1 incident will be remembered whilst the other 999 will not even be noted. Over time an embedded memory or meme will be created about it not being safe to walk under ladders.

I am sure there are instances of people walking round ladders and still getting hit by items falling and bouncing down the ladders. Or people walking round the ladder only to be hit as the base of the ladder slides out. Or getting hit by a car as they step in the road to go round a ladder. These are not noted in any special way because they are not perceived in common culture as being unlucky.

The same goes for full moon and crime for instance.
for the rest of the month crime happens and it is a daily occurance for police officers. However when they see a full moon and notice it any crime that occurs on that night will stick in the memory because of the full moon being memorable. These will be reinforced with each occurrence to the point where that police officer would tell his friends who would then notice a full moon and remember the crimes on that night. It is a cumulative and infectious effect. This has been proven in a study by statisticians and psychologists. I can't recall the correct term off the top of my head.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Pick a DANDELION you'll pee the bed:Blush:

step on a paving crack you'll have a baby :Eeek: well not us blokes:ROFLMAO:

grandmother would not have the flowers off a hawthorn tree in the house ... still not sure why.

cant be ar&&d now:roflmto:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
See a pin and pick it up

And all day long you'll have a pin.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Strangely enough the chimney sweep has just left. He inadvertently walked under a ladder that the daft roofers was using. Now, before he could move he shouted me over to shake my hand to stave off any bad luck. I've googled this and can't find anything about it.

When it came time to leave he carried his brushes, vacuum cleaner and soot bag to the bottom of the garden and climbed over a fence rather than go under the ladder again.

Daft bugger :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
If you put your knickers on inside out, that's the way they have to stay.

:winky:

Maria

That's the same with cardigans - change your luck if you turn it right side out!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
No crossing on the stairs

Pick a daisy and you will wet the bed ( !!! :Eeek: Broken Link Removed )

A lot of folks use that one. I tell them if you speak to them on the way down or up it's OK.

I thought it was pick a dandelion (because of the sappy stuff in the stalk)

Thanks for those anyway:thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
My Mother was superstitious, crossed knives means an argument, spilt salt throw some over the shoulder, money spider throw over left shoulder for luck, new moon turn your money over has to be seen outside, don`t walk under ladders, touch wood, new shoes on the table spells bad luck, never have red and white flowers together, signifies blood and bandages, jump or step over cracks, don`t do the washing on New Year`s Day, washes someone out of the house, give a coin in exchange for a purse / handbag
Chimney sweep at a wedding brings good luck, the first visitor on new years day brings a piece of coal, first footing, give a new baby a coin for luck.

Well I for a start walk under ladders, still won`t wash on NYD though, I am a Pisces :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back