Supernova - film featuring trip by motorhome in the Lake District, Colin Firth, Stanley Tucci (and dementia) (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wow ... can't wait ... I'll make sure I have a big box of tissues handy!

OP
OP
The Lord Squid

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
Lord Squid I do like that MoHo avatar
Thank you. I can't remember (!) where it came from. All caravanners and motor caravanners in those days were posh I think. The lady is wearing neither Crocs nor a fleece jacket.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One to look out for - although I can't get to a cinema I'll hope it comes out on DVD before too long.

Jul 4, 2021
Chislehurst, Kent
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E425
Exp
Just watched this.....Awesome film, both leads, Tucci and Firth are truly memorable.
Well worth watching, great film....Bit of motorhoming involved, but a really good film about life, dementia, and very sad.....

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks for the heads up The Lord Squid
Looks good, just hoping I can view it on Prime as we dont have Netflix or any of the others, well....gotta draw a line somewhere eh?;)
Especially when, if allowed we should be out in the van somewhere nice.
Update: TinaL has saved it our watchlist on Prime, so all is good, and we like Colin Firth in most things he does.(y)
LES

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
I think I watched it Wednesday or was it Thursday ah well ....

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
Nice Avatar, so why is the bloke in the background on a mobile phone....and given it's supposed to be the 1930s.....who to?

Dandandan (sinister music to you young types)

Nurse! The screens, Dram's off again.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
There's another recent film featuring RVs and dementia - The Leisure Seeker. Starring Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland, I think, but my recollection is hazy because I gave up watching because it was too depressing, and never made it to the end which I'm told is grim. I'm donating that DVD to the charity shop, with some misgivings. Perhaps better sent to landfill?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We went to see the film last Wednesday, very moving heart rendering story, you might need a box of tissues.
Apparently Colin and Stanley are very good friends and during the first rehearsals Colin was playing the part of the partner with dementia, Stanley Tucci said this is all wrong, I should be playing that part, so they changed roles and when you watch the film you can see it was the right decision.
Brilliant film, fantastic acting someone should be picking up awards for this performance, though it is a little early in the season for the Oscars.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's another recent film featuring RVs and dementia - The Leisure Seeker. Starring Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland, I think, but my recollection is hazy because I gave up watching because it was too depressing, and never made it to the end which I'm told is grim. I'm donating that DVD to the charity shop, with some misgivings. Perhaps better sent to landfill?
Shame you didn't stick it out, it's not 'grim' as such, in some ways it is a very loving end to a situation that to finish any other way would have caused a lot of distress to the one left behind.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Shame you didn't stick it out, it's not 'grim' as such, in some ways it is a very loving end to a situation that to finish any other way would have caused a lot of distress to the one left behind.

Maybe but I have had it with the fashion for Angst-a-Rama and deep diving into feelings. Not for me. I've had enough tragedy among family and friends for this lifetime. Carry On films are more to my taste nowadays. Shallow but entertaining and funny. And non-PC.

Can't they make a few more good films with happy endings? As long as they aren't remakes ... which Hollywood does rather badly IMO.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
As Minxy Girl says, you should have stuck it out, very good Film👍

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
The leisure seeker…. Oh god you are right, no denying the acting is superb but honestly that film depressed me… bloody awful, nothing good about the story line, the dementia theme was admirable but did they have to weave in all the other awful plot lines… wish you hadnt reminded me about it! 😩😆

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Oops sorry minxygirl just saw your comments, all to their own, but I thought it would be like a road trip film , not what it was .. 😨

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have to admit I do like Stanley Tucci's films and even TV series, he's very, very good.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We saw this film yesterday. When they drove down the long narrow road to park up beside the lake and sat outside under the beautiful night sky, hubby kind of spoiled the moment by whispering in my ear " hope he put the gas on for the fridge " :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I really enjoyed the film. Cried like a baby, and Lynne wasn't far behind. It was a great, sad, but moving story very well played by the two leads.... 😎

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We watched this a couple of days ago ... I was really looking forward to it but I'm sorry to say I was disappointed.

It was so drawn out and didn't actually give much of an insight into dementia or anything else for that matter, their 'history' was also lacking which meant you didn't really get to know the characters and empathise with them and their situation that much. Surprisingly I thought that Colin Firth was a bit like a duck out of water, not due to the film being about a gay couple, but he just didn't come across as very believable, not his usual 'standard' IMV although Stanley Tucci was good but again not great.

It was all a bit too 'restrained' - I think it would have been much better had an actor who was also a pianist been cast in Colin Firth's role as having someone who could actually play, and therefore play pieces of music in the story to give it more gravitas, would have made a lot of difference due to the extremes of emotion you can elicit from playing the piano.

When I saw the first 10 minutes which didn't really go anywhere, despite their travelling in a MH, I hoped it would get better but for us it didn't and just fell very flat.

The 'Father' film on the other hand was far superior so if you haven't seen it watch that instead.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well thats ruined it lol ...no point watching it noo 😁

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well thats ruined it lol ...no point watching it noo 😁
It's definitely worth a watch, it become apparent during the film what the likely outcome is going to be so it's not a surprise ending, but very well done and acted.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's definitely worth a watch, it become apparent during the film what the likely outcome is going to be so it's not a surprise ending, but very well done and acted.
Watched the supernova one last night .... didn't like it ...ive downloaded the other one ill watch that the night

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back