Supermarket off the ferry into Bilbao? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
other than alcohol, fuel and tobacco nothing is cheap in spain .
better to load up in uk. food is cheaper in uk.

OP
OP
BeeSea

BeeSea

Free Member
May 8, 2014
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
A couple of years...France/Spain/Portugal and Blighty
Thanks vwalan. Probably just need fresh stuff as the fridge is off for 30'odd hours on the ferry.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the fresh veg etc are getting a very poor quality these days .
the meat very expensive .
we bring lots from uk , enough bacon etc for 6 months .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
75 miles down the toll road (12 euro) several large supermarkets including Lidl and cheapest fuel on outskirts of Haro. Good campsite (ACSI) at Haro, lot of folk head here from ferry to stock and fuel up, overnight at the campsite then head South

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
the fresh veg etc are getting a very poor quality these days .
the meat very expensive .
we bring lots from uk , enough bacon etc for 6 months .
I prefer Spanish bacon and local fresh veg from small shops or markets is cheap and good,,Supermarket veg and fruit bit like at home,,The fish is excellent and far cheaper than UK.,BUSBY:):):)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Take fresh food from home and put a couple of 2L milk bottles with frozen water in the fridge and leave the door closed. Done it many times, it will be fine. Or stand and look very pathetic whilst holding your leccy cable and ask one of the loaders if you can plug in somewhere. :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
What do you feed it on and how do you arrange slaughter ?
i am a butcher slaughterman so t wouldnt be a problem.
but bacon keeps for ages without fridges .
all the veg in spain is getting bad ,even markets and trhe small shops . the best is sold to go up north . as been for a few years .

OP
OP
BeeSea

BeeSea

Free Member
May 8, 2014
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
A couple of years...France/Spain/Portugal and Blighty
Lovely jubbly!!...thank you all for your advice. (Google is my friend Tonka!)

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
other than alcohol, fuel and tobacco nothing is cheap in spain .
better to load up in uk. food is cheaper in uk.
I don't know what part of Spain you've been to, but our experience in Valenciana, Murcia and Andalusia has been that food in Spain is far, far cheaper than UK and better quality. Veg, fruit, salads, meat, most fish, cheese, olive oil all ridiculously cheap. We sometimes feel we're stealing. You just want a chicken leg? - no problem - the butcher just cuts one off for you. Try that in Tesco. Oranges? A half-tonne bag for a few Euros, and they taste like oranges rather than the desiccated things we get here. The fish counters are astonishing.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I don't know what part of Spain you've been to, but our experience in Valenciana, Murcia and Andalusia has been that food in Spain is far, far cheaper than UK and better quality. Veg, fruit, salads, meat, most fish, cheese, olive oil all ridiculously cheap. We sometimes feel we're stealing. You just want a chicken leg? - no problem - the butcher just cuts one off for you. Try that in Tesco. Oranges? A half-tonne bag for a few Euros, and they taste like oranges rather than the desiccated things we get here. The fish counters are astonishing.

Fully agree,,,food and drink excellent value,,quality very good,,,BUSBY,,

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
spend several weeks in valencia while the main orange oick is on . always get bags of oranges free from my spanish friends that work in the groves . they also tell me about the best class of fruit going north.
later we move to murcia where peppers and tomatoes are picked . same there.
as for meat dont use tesco. use a butchers .
i actualy did work for tesco when they employed butchers and meat was packed in the stores . i also worked for coop in super markets and butchers shops . also dewhursts /eastmans when it was going . also slaughter houses in devon and cornwall and later for one of the largest meat packers in the uk . the owner then as now moved to australia and his boys work for the aussie lamb companies .
having been spending most winters in spain etc for many years i do know what i,m talking about .
fish well i live in summer in cornwall lovely fresh fish usually bought or caught local. fresh mussels from my friends mussel farm go down well. and the fish caught while at the farm are lovely.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
spend several weeks in valencia while the main orange oick is on . always get bags of oranges free from my spanish friends that work in the groves . they also tell me about the best class of fruit going north.
later we move to murcia where peppers and tomatoes are picked . same there.
as for meat dont use tesco. use a butchers .
i actualy did work for tesco when they employed butchers and meat was packed in the stores . i also worked for coop in super markets and butchers shops . also dewhursts /eastmans when it was going . also slaughter houses in devon and cornwall and later for one of the largest meat packers in the uk . the owner then as now moved to australia and his boys work for the aussie lamb companies .
having been spending most winters in spain etc for many years i do know what i,m talking about .
fish well i live in summer in cornwall lovely fresh fish usually bought or caught local. fresh mussels from my friends mussel farm go down well. and the fish caught while at the farm are lovely.

Shellfish in UK is twice the price of that in Spain,,,and lets face it Spanish weather (other than last winter) is far superior so i know where i prefer to tour,,BUSBY:):)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
this last winter was ok . bit of rain in late november. rest of time was and still is great. driest hottest time ever in some areas.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
this last winter was ok . bit of rain in late november. rest of time was and still is great. driest hottest time ever in some areas.
Had torrential rain,sleet,hail,snow and severe flooding on the Costa Blanca,,,had snow that closed the roads as far south as Mazarron,,worst weather for 40 years,,, BUSBY,,

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We could do a decent 'shop' in LIDL in Spain for 70-80 euros. In Tesco here, we get not a lot for £120! Don't know where you shop Alan, but it isn't where I do.

Craig

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well you do have to be in the right places . i,m in northern spain now at san vicente ,can see snow on the pecos de europa but sunshine and surfing going on here.
snow is very common in spain . even on the longest day there very often is still snow on the mountains .
on january the 18th we woke to a bit of snow at punta prima just south of torrevieja .but it was gone by 11 in morning . on the 24th jan it was 20c at canada de gallego .
you have to watch the spanish weather forecasts and be in the right place .
was a bit chilly heading north end feb we sort of followed the portugese border up from estaphona . visiting friends on the way. sine 7th march been in galicia or along the north coast .asturia ,cantarbria . again great weather .been a bit of sand blowing around last few days but trees down on the med very windy there so best be here. just over 20c at moment.

Reactions: DBK

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We could do a decent 'shop' in LIDL in Spain for 70-80 euros. In Tesco here, we get not a lot for £120! Don't know where you shop Alan, but it isn't where I do.

Craig
i like adsa find them very good priced and good quality.
lidl very poor quality meat and bacon . plus usually a penny or two dearer than asda .
mind i only look at prices here in spain spend very little .
spent about 375 euro this year on food gas and petrol for m,bike .
was cheaper a bit last year but got 139 euro then to pound . this year only 110. when i changed my cash.
only been out here 23 weeks .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
well you do have to be in the right places . i,m in northern spain now at san vicente ,can see snow on the pecos de europa but sunshine and surfing going on here.
snow is very common in spain . even on the longest day there very often is still snow on the mountains .
on january the 18th we woke to a bit of snow at punta prima just south of torrevieja .but it was gone by 11 in morning . on the 24th jan it was 20c at canada de gallego .
you have to watch the spanish weather forecasts and be in the right place .
was a bit chilly heading north end feb we sort of followed the portugese border up from estaphona . visiting friends on the way. sine 7th march been in galicia or along the north coast .asturia ,cantarbria . again great weather .been a bit of sand blowing around last few days but trees down on the med very windy there so best be here. just over 20c at moment.
Its not winter now. Just had a glorious 10 days here at Isla Plana but they had a lousy winter..First time some people who were born here had ever seen snow other than on the telly,,,Friends who have been overwintering in Benidorm for years reckon its never ever been as bad as last winter,,BUSBY,,

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
benidorm is very often flooded out and have seen snow there several times over the years.
malaga also. we missed the floods there by a couple of days but saw what happened . we went inland to alhourin de la torre to see a mate .that was 25/26th feb . just move slowly and be in the right place.
mind there was a great thunder /lightning storm lasted all night when we were at castellan incredible to watch that was 22nd november . but all good fun .

Deleted User
spent about 375 euro this year on food gas and petrol for m,bike .
was cheaper a bit last year but got 139 euro then to pound . this year only 110. when i changed my cash.
only been out here 23 weeks .

Doing your bit for the Spanish and Portuguese economies then!:D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Doing your bit for the Spanish and Portuguese economies then!:D
Spend that much in a week and we are poor old pensioners,,,No wonder Motorhomes get a bad name,,BUSBY.:D2:D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back