Supermarket fuel in France, Card Only! (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Its not only about the ease of paying with a credit card in French supermarket fuel stations but if you pay at the booth you then have to negotiate the daft chicanes they put in.
Threading a 25ft A class round some of them is often a little tight to say the least.
Pay by card and drive straight out. (y)

Richard.
I've seen a MH at the pumps and there was no way he would take the curve and pass through a narrow track to the booth. He surely would have had to reverse. I often question the French obsession with kerb stones and narrow drives.
I usually wait until lunchtime when everywhere is shut, drive in, fuel on card , reverse out (y)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I often question the French obsession with kerb stones and narrow drives.
Like you, I have had to reverse out a few times.
I assume the narrow exits and high kerbs are to stop trucks/commercial vehicles filling up. Being a supermarket they would want their customers to shop in store rather than just fill with cheap fuel. They only want cars whose drivers will fill and shop at the same time.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
It still surprises me that in the UK there are few to non Automat card payment tills at a gas station and when the clock strikes 11 or 12 they just close up leaving only an odd one open per area (usually the 24hrs Tesco or the like). I several European countries they even use chip based payment schemes with the chip inside the car and no need to pay at the point of purchase at all, it's just charged to an account automatically. The UK may catch up one day:D

I asked at my local Morrisons why they don't have their card pumps open at night and was told by the supervisor that they can't have the pumps operating without a 'petroleum trained' operative on site, council regulations. The store is closed during the night.

I bet they (the council) blame European regulations but in Europe they don't seem to bother about such trivia.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
German pumps in the south west are charging prices down to €1.23 for diesel at present (29/06/18) it seems to vary up to around €1.45 in some places further north. A couple of fillings recently in Germany have come out at £1.10 and £1.15 after charges etc. from the bank account but they were at a price higher than €1.23.

Must remember to fill up before crossing into France!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Many Asda petrol stations in the UK are card only with no staff.
But they don't debit 120e first before also taking the actual amount

I asked at my local Morrisons why they don't have their card pumps open at night and was told by the supervisor that they can't have the pumps operating without a 'petroleum trained' operative on site, council regulations. The store is closed during the night.

I bet they (the council) blame European regulations but in Europe they don't seem to bother about such trivia.
Asda ones are open 24/7/365.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
On our recent trip to Italy we were surprised (and nearly caught out) to see many fuel stations had a two-tier system. If you filled it yourself it was around 15c cheaper than getting an attendant to do it. It didn't seem to matter, however, if you paid cash or card. The "cashier" wandered around the forecourt with his money bag and mobile card machine. Cheaper of course is a relative term - we found fuel in Italy very expensive.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
This thread is too serreal for me to even bother to formulate a coherent comment.

Having spent 7 weeks in France recently

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What's new about no cash desks at French supermarket filling stations it's been like that for 3 or 4 years.:D2

If they have got a Cassi I avoid it like the plauge, to easy to get stuck getting out unless you have a very small van.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Always use our Post Office MasterCard as they always give a good exchange rate and no charges.(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back